Korat-Farang.com

English cricket in ashes . . . .

Roger · 84 · 12947

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Whilst the mire is in Yorkshire mainly (atm), what's to be said about it ? No one is going to defend racism in any way but surely, there's a 'woke' influence to some degree, in these sudden discoveries ?

I've been surprised in the past at the nastiness one can hear fielding close to the bat and 'sledging' has been widespread in cricket (wrongly IMO) for time immemorial, I dread to think what 'racist' gems might have been included. 'Banter' ? Maybe.

At Yorkshire and the BBC, 'McCarthyism' has broken out - jobs lost, no trial etc. Poor old Michael Vaughan has been sorely treated at the BBC IMO and I hope he takes the BBC to an Industrial Tribunal  >:(  AS for not too blameless himself, Mr Rafiq, I hope he's happy now   ;)

UNLIKE all England fans who are NOT happy atm.
Leaving out Broad and Anderson and batting first was potty IMO. One down in Oz and struggling from the first ball - well done England for the better second innings effort but, we are not amused   :o :o   ::) ::)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/11/ashes-gabba-england-australia-first-test-match-report-root-stokes-buttler-lyon-starc-carey
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hallelujah   :D  England didn't lose a test Match   ;)

Heroic performances from Bairstow, Stokes, Crawley, Wood, Broad, Anderson and Leach. But for Khawaja scoring centuries for the Aussies in both innings, it might have been tighter than a 'losing' draw   ;)

Great to see and good to listen on R5 live thanks to TW's 'Hola' !
(Good on yer Cobber}.

Here's the irreplaceable Boycott on podcast https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/01/09/jos-buttler-should-not-play-another-test-joe-root-should-bat/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Teessider

• Forum Sage
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
England lose series in West Indies after an abject session with the new ball failed to finish off the Windies tail was followed by a desperately poor batting performance. Even though I'm a Yorkshireman I thing Root's time is up as captain. Stokes says he doesn't want the job leaving Stuart Broad as only candidate from the current squad. My pick would be James Vince. To get him in the team I would give Bairstow the wicketkeeper gloves. What do you think?
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
James Vince - that's an interesting idea. Of course, Ben Stokes would be a popular choice but having had time off for recuperation in recent times one wonders if he would want the job or maybe be unable to cope. I think Ben should stay vice-Captain.

Stuart Broad might be worth a try but a bit off the wall, I'd fancy Johnny Bairstow as Captain, his devotion to his England cricket is certain.

Broad and Anderson must be played until they drop ! We have no-one to match them as we have just found out. Now bottom of the World test rankings, the England team is a shambles.

I'd like to see this happen : "Justin Langer would be open to the possibility of coaching England if offered the job as the rebuilding of the Test team gathers pace after the defeat in West Indies. Telegraph Sport understands from sources close to Langer that he is interested in talking to the ECB about the vacant role of head coach." https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/03/28/justin-langer-keen-vacant-england-head-coach-role/ He would certainly shake 'em up a bit - it'd be goodbye at last to Joe's cozy World.

So Bairstow, Stokes, Root, Broad/Anderson, Wood, Leach, Crawley, Mahmood/Archer - surely we can build back around some of them. Vince is maybe a good idea.

As someone once said https://youtu.be/Dl-ai9HuR60

LET'S HOPE SO !!!!