Korat-Farang.com

Floods and water shortages.

Hector · 71 · 3154

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I see that there have been floods in Korat and in Phi Mai, in the Central Region and in areas to the north of Bkk, in fact there are a lot of inundated areas.  But one place that is still unbelievably short of water is the Lam Takhong Dam; I drove past it the other day and there are cattle grazing where there should be water and one can even see parts of the old road, which are normally way under water.  Odd!  Oh, and I see that the Thai "experts" (yes I know, a contradiction of terms) are already predicting a water shortage next year.  Well, if the Lam Takhong doesn't get any water soon, Korat won't have to wait until next year to be short of water!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I drove past Lam Takong yesterday. There are no cattle grazing now. It's all underwater. I see from the official stats that the dam is at 28% capacity. Not a lot considering the end of the rainy season is not far away.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Well, if the Lam Takhong doesn't get any water soon, Korat won't have to wait until next year to be short of water!

I was told that the city is now drawing water also from other lakes in the province, I hope it's true.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
It's nowhere  near to being all underwater!  To the west there are still whole swathes of greenery where water used to be. Still on the road back to Bkk now and this is my 2nd trip in two weeks and both times I have been amazed that all the heavy rain appears to be having little effect on the water level.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
We must have been looking at two different locations.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
No, you just didn't go far enough down! More grass than water at the other end.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
It's at 29% capacity at the moment. (Scroll down to ลำตะคอง then click Show to see the latest figure)

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_lgraph.php?lang=

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I would have thought from posts above that the dam had been kept closed all the time, in fact it has just been closed yesterday or early this morning judging from Lam Takong's sharp water level drop today.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The rain-making department has stepped up cloud-seeding in an effort to add more water to dams in Nakhon Ratchasima, especially the Lam Takong dam.

Over 30 cloud-seeding flights have been launched each day so that there may be rains in Nakhon Ratchasima to fill up the dams which are now running short of water.

Lam Takong dam now has 33 percent usable water which is the lowest level in a decade whereas the Lam Phra Ploeng dam in Pak Thongchai district and Lam Sae dam have 40 percent and 46 percent of usable water respectively.

The department also suggested the provincial waterworks authority to pump more water from Lam Takong dam into its storage facilities to ensure sufficient tap water to last through the upcoming dry season.

The waterworks authority’s Office where tap water is produced is located about 100 kms from Lam Takong dam.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/water-level-in-lam-takong-dam-has-dropped-to-the-lowest-point-in-10-years

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The water level in Lam Takong reservoir is still low - only 39%. I'm sure the government will be discouraging second rice crops again.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The water level in Lam Takong reservoir is now at only 28% capacity. It will soon be Songkran, so I'm sure it will reduce some more before the rainy season starts.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I'm sure it will reduce some more before the rainy season starts.

Did it rain also in Phimai last night? In the city it poured for over 1 hour, with streets starting to flood here and there, especially at usual critical spots.

Shortly after 20:00 (it had just stopped pouring) I crossed Mitthapap to enter Tesco Lotus. On the Tesco side of the road I had to walk into a good 15 cm of water. When coming back after 30 minutes, water was gone and I could see the probable cause of that mini flooding: clogged manholes, a whole raw of them in similar conditions. I took a photo of the one nearest to the tuk-tuk parking in front of Tesco.

This afternoon I noticed a shop keeper just outside The Mall installing a sand barrier in front of his shop (photo). He told me he is expecting flooding soon.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Did it rain also in Phimai last night? In the city it poured for over 1 hour, with streets starting to flood here and there, especially at usual critical spots.

Yes, it did. It started raining gently at about 6.30pm and then torrentially at about 7.15pm and lasted for about an hour. I was out in the rain for 45 minutes, half the time in the torrential rain. I got a bit wet. :) 

There was a lot of surface water around, to be expected of course when the rain comes down so quickly, but a small 'river' was flowing past a drain that was enlarged just a few months ago. A bit of a waste of time and effort.

Offline waterheart

• Forum Sage
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie

I took this pictures from my house.  :o
Long live to long learn

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I took this pictures from my house.  :o

Did you see manhole grids in front of your house afterwards Waterheart? Were they clogged, too?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
In a letter dated today, authorities are warning about violent rain storms expected in the northern, northeastern, central and eastern regions from tomorrow 31 March until 4 April.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Water is still in short supply apparently, despite the recent rains.

Lam Takhong Dam is currently holding 72 million cubic metres, 23% of its capacity, or about the level seen at the same time last year.

However, the water levels in the remaining four dams are a little higher than last year's. Lam Phra Phloeng Dam now has 61 million cu/m, or 39% of its capacity; Moon Bon Dam 55 million cu/m (39%), Lam Sae Dam 77 million cu/m (28%) and Lam Plai Mat Dam 46 million cu/m (47%).

Chidchanok Somprasert, director of the Nakhon Ratchasima-based 8th Irrigation Office, said although most of the dams now have more water than they did last year, the volumes were not enough for farming.

More here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1245315/summer-storms-add-water-to-korat-dams

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
North, Northeast warned to brace for floods

People in the North and Northeast, especially along the Mekong River, have been warned to brace for possible flooding even though tropical storm Pakhar has now been downgraded to a low-pressure system.

Bangkok Post full article

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1jTJ_tKr5Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1jTJ_tKr5Q</a>

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Despite all the rains, Lam Ta Khong dam in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Si Khiew district is only 29 per cent full. It has a capacity of 314 million cubic metres but it only has 94 million cubic metres of water. It is the only one of five major dams in the province less than half full.

Source

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Flooded roads downtown Korat following yesterday's heavy rain. From this morning's news.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZB8whye2No" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZB8whye2No</a>