Korat-Farang.com

Floods and water shortages.

Hector · 71 · 3160

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Anton. Thanks for your reply the other day. Good points.
Just for the record - still raining every day here ! ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Takong water level high this morning. In my area it uprooted a tree from the shore.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
There is some alarm now for more important flooding possibly coming up in low-lying areas tonight. It hit Nong Bua Sala subdistrict, Mueang district, last night.

Korat villages hit by fast-moving floodwaters

Electricity was cut off as a precaution to 200 homes in Muang Nakhon Ratchasima hit on Tuesday night by rare flooding.

Residents in the low-lying area had to race to move belongings to safety after heavy rains triggered the deluge.

Worst hit was the Muang Korat Cooperative Housing Estate, better known as Bt40 Village II, in Tambon Nong Bua Sala, where 50 homes were inundated by 40 centimetres of water.

Floodwaters had not receded as of 6.30am Wednesday. Residents huddled with their belongings along Ratchasima-Chok Chai Road.

The Nation full article

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
According to this simplifying video, seemingly produced by Korat's municipality, quick flooding in the city is caused by two main factors: overbuilding and street waste. If I understand well they also say that, in the long-term, they are planning to lay down larger draining pipes - which would imply that narrow pipes are a third factor indeed. Video uploaded today.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9UnnXZ5t8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9UnnXZ5t8</a>

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
There is some alarm now for more important flooding possibly coming up in low-lying areas tonight. It hit Nong Bua Sala subdistrict, Mueang district, last night.

It rained heavily yesterday evening in Phimai and there was a lot of surface water on the roads. It's quite sunny today though.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Inner-city Bua Sala threatened by flood on Thursday

Floodwaters continued to rise on Thursday in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Muang district, where at least 200 homes have been inundated in Tambon Nong Bua Sala since Wednesday.

Runoff from upstream districts now threatens to inundate the inner city area, a provincial authority source said on Thursday.

A deluge from Nong Bua Sala has reached downstream as far as Tambon Hua Thalae, resulting in a 30cm-deep inundation of almost 100 homes in various housing estates as well as area roads.

And in a second blow to the region, runoff from the upstream districts of Sikhiu, Sung Noen, and Kham Thale Sor have reached the Muang district's Khon Chum sluice gate. As the torrents threatened to spill through the gate, the Nakhon Ratchasima Irrigation Office slightly opened all three panes of the gate 47cm to help keep control of the drainage.

Nakhon Ratchasima City workers have installed pumps among low-lying flood-prone areas to speed flood drainage. If there is no further rainfall, the authorities expect the flood in Muang district to recede in two to three days.

Source (The Nation)

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
My other half's home is in Hua Talay and she had a call today to say water levels are rising. This hasn't been an issue since new larger drains were laid down and smaller ones from side Sois were cleared. Tomorrow, she has arranged for sandbags to be laid down as protection and someone will place everything on the floor at a higher level or at least stuff worth bothering with.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Less than a month ago, the Lam Takhong dam was reported - with one other dam - to be less than 30% of capacity and the authorities were considering cloud seeding.  I drove past there three times a couple of weeks ago and it was as low as I have ever seen it.  I now hear (from a wholly unreliable source, I might add!) that it is full!  Anyone got any news on this?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Less than a month ago, the Lam Takhong dam was reported - with one other dam - to be less than 30% of capacity and the authorities were considering cloud seeding.  I drove past there three times a couple of weeks ago and it was as low as I have ever seen it.  I now hear (from a wholly unreliable source, I might add!) that it is full!  Anyone got any news on this?

It's only 46% full.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Residents prepare for floods as Phimai Dam releases overflow

People living along the Mun River in Nakhon Ratchasima are moving their belongings to higher ground after a flood warning.

Irrigation officials announced on Sunday that they would discharge more water from the now-overwhelmed Phimai Dam.

"There was huge rainfall in Nakhon Ratchasima during the past few days. So, we will have to fully open all water gates of the dam to release water," an official said.

He added that the dam should contain no more than 2,110,000 cubic metres of water but now had 2,113,051 cubic metres in store.

"Let’s hope that no more rain is coming over the next few days. Otherwise, the situation will be worrying," Paitoon Yangraak, a chief of the Phimai irrigation project, said.

Source - The Nation

Offline John Doe

Can anybody tell me which regions are along the Mun river?
Which regions are prone to flood if the dam opens in Phi Mai?

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
In October and November 2010 most of the Isaan was affected by severe flooding.  My own house and land was under water up to 1.5 metre deep at worst for several weeks.  On 3 Nov 10 I wrote to the Bkk Post:
“.....one aspect of this disaster troubled me; there had been less rain than usual in our area, so why the worst floods ‘in living memory’?  I think the answer lies not just in the rainfall to the north and west of us, but more particularly in the construction of dams and roads without any sort of prior environmental study.  Dams are built to store water; when there is too much the flood gates are opened and the water spills into the surrounding countryside.  In earlier times, the water found its way into canals, streams and rivers and ran away.  Now it cannot do so as great roads like the Mitraparp (and there are plenty others) act as man-made dams all over that part of the country.  They are one or two metres high, sometimes more, and have precious few flood pipes running underneath them from one side to the other.  The result is the flooding we have just experienced and the water can run away only slowly.
What to do about it?  I don’t believe there is a lot one can do except take what personal measures one can.  It will happen again just as sure as it gets cold in the north and people require blankets.  Perhaps if some local politicians or Phu Yais houses were subject to annual inundation one might see some action, but no-one in our area is holding their breath.”
In October 13 the same thing happened only with much less severity.  Another letter:
“...........many of these ‘natural’ disasters are not natural at all, but rather man-made or at least man-exacerbated.  Take the current flooding in the Isaan as an example; between Khon Kaen and Korat there are hundreds of thousands of rai of rice paddy under water and yet it hasn’t rained in the area for well over a week.  The flooding is a direct result of the inexorable rise of water caused by the opening of dam gates to the north at the same time.  Many roads, not just the Mitraparp, were constructed with precious few storm drains underneath them creating a network of dykes that prevents the floodwater finding its natural courses.  Few road or dams were built with any environmental assessment; there appears to be no central control of water management throughout the country and unless Bangkok is threatened – as in 2011 – no-one in Government gives much thought to the problem. 
It is therefore scarcely surprising that the up-country people’s patience is wearing a bit thin.  Will anything be done about it?  Not a chance!  Just the same as three years ago when the Isaan was far more badly flooded than now, one hears the same old platitudes, but nothing was then, is now or will be done and the poor old ‘chao na’ will struggle on as usual losing over half his crop to government ineptitude.”
 Today one reads in the Bkk Post 15 Oct 17 that the Ubonrat Dam and 9 others in the Region are releasing water into the surrounding countryside.  But if one lives in Bkk one can take heart from this:
“The Royal Irrigation Department (RID) has pledged to spare Bangkok from severe flooding after the capital was hit with the heaviest rainfall in more than 30 years.
RID director-general Somkiat Prajamwong insisted on Saturday his agency would not allow a huge amount of water to hit the capital, vowing runoff would be diverted to other provinces.”
Further comment would be superfluous!
My apologies for the lengthy post!  John Doe, the area from Phi Mai to Chum Phuang and on towards the west is the worst affected.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Sorry John Doe, I meant to say from Chum Phuang to the EAST........!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru

From Phimai, the Mun River heads north-east through Chumpuang, Sateuk in Buriram province, then runs along the northern boundary of Buriram province, into Si Saket province, then all the way to Ubon Ratchatani before emptying into the Mekong River.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Cheerful scenes from Tha Luang subdistrict, Phimai, Nakhon Ratchasima. Video uploaded yesterday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWe8v82NEng" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWe8v82NEng</a>

Offline John Doe

From Phimai, the Mun River heads north-east through Chumpuang, Sateuk in Buriram province, then runs along the northern boundary of Buriram province, into Si Saket province, then all the way to Ubon Ratchatani before emptying into the Mekong River.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Last night or this morning they already closed up dams upstream, judging from dramatic drop of Takong's water level today.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Phimai floods worsen, hitting three more tambons

The Mool River in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Phimai district continued to rise and overflow to inundate three more tambons on Tuesday morning.

The Nation full article

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Cheerful scenes from Tha Luang subdistrict, Phimai, Nakhon Ratchasima. Video uploaded yesterday.

I came across a similar scene in Phimai today. I just checked on the map and technically it is in Tambon Nai meaung, Phimai, but it is a very rural aread and it was over 5km from the town centre and 2.5km from the banyan tree area.

At first I first heard a noise, a lot of excitement, then I saw some cars and motorbikes parked and I feared the worst, a traffic accident or a drowning, but it was just a lot of people playing in the water on the road as the water passed from a field on one side of the road to a field on the other side of the road. From what I could see, the water wasn't very deep - only 1 or 2 cm.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
It seems we're not over with this topic for this year yet. A 60 m segment of Road 304 collapsed due to heavy rain, at km 365 in Nakhon Ratchasima Province, according to this news report:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlnjcJ7zmhs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlnjcJ7zmhs</a>