Korat-Farang.com

Funny and weird and doesn't fit in !

Roger · 12 · 4429

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
From my Pal's farm at Sa Keaw this week. WTF !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Very odd Roger! I'm sure an expert would immediately recognise them. But I'm with you - there is more alien life here than there is in the galaxy! Wonderful pictures!

I cropped and enhanced your bug picture (again - please click the photo to see the original; the preview does it no justice. It's an excellent picture Roger. I think this is the 'Hello Ladies' bug, but there's stiff competition.).

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
"BANGKOK — Government critics on Friday were outraged by the revelation that the Royal Thai Air Force is set to spend nearly 55 million baht to refurbish a lavatory on board a VIP aircraft. The 54.43 million baht project is detailed in a document published on a military-run website earlier this week. The air force said the price tag for the flying toilet is “reasonable” since it involves sophisticated engineering, though many remain skeptical at the exorbitant budget.

If we use 54 million baht to renovate toilets for students, we can revamp toilets at more than 180 schools,” Move Forward MP Wiroj Lakkhanaadisorn tweeted Thursday. “Roughly 20,000 students would benefit from it.” "

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/12/18/air-force-to-spend-54-mil-baht-to-refurbish-vvip-lavatory/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline KiwiCanadian

That's around $1.8 M USD, aircraft toilets are a way more complicated than you think. They work on vacuum, there is a vacuum pump for use on the ground, but the use the cabin pressure differential at altitude to suck the bowl dry, very complicated pieces of equipment especially if the whole system needs to be replaced which id usually the case with the corrosive contents in the tanks, LOL
If the whole compartment has to be replaced then $1.8m USD is nothing, removal of the old and installing the new module, may be the holding tanks along with a complete system replacement as well. If some of this liquid has leaked then the airframe would need to be inspected for corrosion, Aluminium does not like what is in those tanks. Additional $$ for that.

Read some history here https://www.hisour.com/aircraft-lavatory-37893/

I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thanks KC - when wings are around - you are a mine of info ! Baht 55 million still seems like a lotta dosh though. IMHO they should revamp the toilets in a 180+ schools first - and give the VVIP a bucket  ;)

Seriously I read and enjoyed your link.

Offline KiwiCanadian

Seriously I read and enjoyed your link.

You are most welcome sir

Offline KiwiCanadian

As I assumed the whole unit is being replaced, out with the old in with the new model, probably not just a replacement so all new supporting infrastructure required for the new one. As said before I will assume corrosion on parts of the airframe so cost of those repairs should be taken into consideration. Also does the new module need custom interface trim to marry up to the existing interior? And probably a lot more that would be in the contract. Executive aircraft are Very Very expensive, not like a commercial airliner where a customer usually takes 5 to 20 or more of one type. The aircraft that I helped design has just ended its production run of over 30 years comprising 4 models and 1945 units out the door, a very good run for an aircraft of its type.

”But in a statement to the media, the air force said the refurbishment will lay down an entirely new set of plumbing and sewage equipment, employing “highly advanced engineering technology from Germany,”
Hence the seemingly steep price.

Quote from https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/12/18/air-force-to-spend-54-mil-baht-to-refurbish-vvip-lavatory/

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
From my Pal's farm at Sa Keaw this week. WTF !

It's a species of plant hopper: Pyrops candelaria.

It "feeds on plant sap: including longan and lychee trees (Sapindaceae), among others. Its long, slender proboscis is used to pierce tree bark to reach the phloem."

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrops_candelaria

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thanks Alfie   :)

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Crikey - in 'Thaiger' today, there was a pic of a Thai Guy with a 'needle fish' in his neck  :o

The same area where a needle fish killed a Navy diver last year ?

Region - Trat next to Chantaburi  :-\  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needlefish

A few years ago fishing with Steve of Steve's Bar at Laem Sing, on a small island offshore, he caught one. I reckon it was 1 metre long - I had to hold it very tight while he took the hook out. He then bravely revived the fish by moving it back and forwards in some water and it swam off happily enough.

Sorry I couldn't find the link again - maybe Thaiger whipped it away quickly - tourism interests as usual.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Presently in Port Navas, West Cornwall where I used to live.

Worth a look and listen, Cornishmen at play https://youtu.be/57l50fBDID0?t=5