Korat-Farang.com

Vaccine at Central

ridge runner · 7 · 288

Online ridge runner

Just received email with appointment for vaccination. Because of the 3 month wait since I applied I decided to get the sinovac plus astra when it was offered by local clinic. Anybody used this for a booster shot or not allowed? I've emailed hospital but not sure I will get a response.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hello RR. I'm no expert but if this helps . . . .

The Sinovac vaccine only gives limited protection which is why the Th. Govt have offered AZ for the second shot - it increases the level of protection but that's still below the levels of protection from 2 x AZ or 2 x Pfizer or 2 x Moderna.

If you intend to travel out of Thailand, your Sinovac may NOT be accepted as one of the two jabs needed for the presumption of being 'fully vaxed'.

The term 'Booster' normally applies to a 3rd jab - e.g. I'm double jabbed (in the UK) with Pfizer now and will try to get a 'booster' in Thailand 6 months after the date of my 2nd, (as is recommended).

If you are staying in Thailand for the foreseeable future, Sinovac + AZ is an option but it's not as good as the other options.

Checking that you know even with double OR triple jabs, you can still get Covid infection, (but usually it's less serious).

Take care and hope that helps. AIMHO
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Roger, my interpretation of RR's post is that he has already had the Sinovac and Astra shots and is wondering if he could use the Pfizer jab (which he now has an apointment for) as a booster jab.

Roger, you are right about the Sinovac probably not being accepted in some countries but the last time I read the UK guiadance, neither was Astra is if was not from a certain few countries (UK, US, Australia, etc), so even a double Astra from Thailand would not be good enough for the UK.

RidgeRunner, my understanding is that it would no be allowed at the moment but the only way to know for sure would be to turn up and see what they say.

Online ridge runner

Alfie you are right. I decided not to go being a 2 hour drive and not wanting to go if not certain. I travel as little as possible right now. The thing is I never registered for a vaccine at the mall or central, I did register on 4 different sites and never got an appointment from any of them.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
RR - a 'booster' of AZ, 3-6 months after your first AZ looks good.

Alfie thanks for yours. Re. this - 'so even a double Astra from Thailand would not be good enough for the UK.' I remember that earlier not all AZ vaccine origins were acceptable in the UK but can't find that clearly on 'Gov.UK' now. I believe that under licencing conditions, AZ made in Thailand is monitored and test checked in Europe.

So proof of 2 AZ's IS (IMO) likely to be acceptable around the World. From Gov.UK :-

"Approved vaccines. You must have had a complete course of one of the following vaccines at least 14 days before you arrive in England: Oxford/AstraZeneca. Pfizer BioNTech. Moderna. Janssen. Formulations of these vaccines, such as AstraZeneca Covishield, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and Moderna Takeda, also qualify as approved vaccines."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination#countries-with-an-approved-proof-of-vaccination-and-examples-of-proof-required

I can't see any rejection of Thai AZ in the notes currently.  (?)

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Alfie thanks for yours. Re. this - 'so even a double Astra from Thailand would not be good enough for the UK.' I remember that earlier not all AZ vaccine origins were acceptable in the UK but can't find that clearly on 'Gov.UK' now. I believe that under licencing conditions, AZ made in Thailand is monitored and test checked in Europe.

So proof of 2 AZ's IS (IMO) likely to be acceptable around the World. From Gov.UK :-

"Approved vaccines. You must have had a complete course of one of the following vaccines at least 14 days before you arrive in England: Oxford/AstraZeneca. Pfizer BioNTech. Moderna. Janssen. Formulations of these vaccines, such as AstraZeneca Covishield, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and Moderna Takeda, also qualify as approved vaccines."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination#countries-with-an-approved-proof-of-vaccination-and-examples-of-proof-required

I can't see any rejection of Thai AZ in the notes currently.  (?)

This is what I was referring to, Roger. I copied this text into a Word document about 10 days ago. It specified which countries were acceptable.

Travel from the rest of the world if you are fully vaccinated
From 4am Monday 4 October, you will qualify as fully vaccinated if you are vaccinated either:

•   under an approved vaccination programme in the UK, Europe, USA or UK vaccine programme overseas
•   with a full course of the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public health body in Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan or the United Arab Emirates (UAE)

Formulations of the 4 listed vaccines, such as AstraZeneca Covishield, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and Moderna Takeda, qualify as approved vaccines.

You must have had a complete course of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before you arrive in England.

But I have just checked again and they have now changed to wording to the following ...

Where 2 doses of a vaccine are required for a full course, you can:

mix 2 different types of vaccine from the above list, for example Oxford/AstraZeneca and Moderna
have the 2 vaccinations under 2 different approved programmes, for example Australia and Japan, UK and USA, France and Canada

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination

So now it is less clear. It depends on what they define as "approved programmes". To me, it is not clear if Thailand's vaccinations would fall under the UK "approved programmes" designation.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Alfie thanks for that   :)

I agree it is unclear but were it me, I would act on the assumption that 2 x AZ vax even if manufactured in Thailand, would be acceptable on arrival in the UK.

I can't see ImmiG in the UK checking batch no's for origins on the vax certificates  ???