Korat-Farang.com

Mr. D.I.Y. opening in Korat

Anton · 11 · 1623

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
This Malaysian chain already present in Thailand will open a branch inside Tesco Lotus on Mitthapap, on second floor next to the supermarket, according to advertisement appeared this morning on the spot.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
This Malaysian chain already present in Thailand will open a branch inside Tesco Lotus on Mitthapap, on second floor next to the supermarket

Opened today.

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
Full of cheap rubbish IMO,Won't be wasting my time going there again
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Full of cheap rubbish IMO

That was my first impression too, but then I changed my mind. I don't know much about DIY tools, but for small kitchen accessories, cleaning, bathroom and other household accessories they offer a better choice than most other stores in Korat, at competitive prices. Rubbish? Time will tell. Until now I bought 3 items and am happy with them.

Look for example at their array of metal and plastic strainers (photo) and tell me where to find the same choice in a single place in Korat. I bought one of the smallest metal strainers for 37 THB: you find something similar only at Gourmet Market for 169 THB (one-six-nine). But mine is better for tea because with a deeper pocket. They have that particular deep pocket model in 2 sizes, both same price. Plus regular pocket metal strainers in all other sizes. Notice also that this kind of small accessories goes for at least 60 THB at Daiso, the cheap Japanese chain now open at The Mall's new wing. Supposing that they have what you're looking for.

I bought also a 20 cm "marble stone" pan (non-stick Pfluon coating) for 279 baht. They have it also larger for the same price, plus other shapes (photos).

I bought also a handy window wiping tool, telescopic handle, flexible replaceable head, for 119 THB (the same kind of tool by well known brands costs 3 times as much in all other stores in town). I already used it and it worked perfectly. Only one regret on this one: for the moment they don't sell the heads separately here in Korat.

They have also a good choice of umbrellas, probably my next purchase there. I already posted elsewhere photos of their shaving blades and toothbrushes arrays.

Won't be wasting my time going there again

Being located where it is, you don't really waste much time stopping by when you are on Mitthapap in that direction, let alone if you must stop at Tesco anyway. Personally I'm happy it opened just there, so handy for me, I was missing something like that in the neighborhood.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
What about this hand pump seen at The Mall and, almost identical, at Mr DIY? The one at The Mall comes with 2 additional adapters, highlighted below. Price: 690 THB. At Mr DIY without additional adapters: 390 THB. Make your choice, knowing that the head comes with double option anyway.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I couldn't refrain from posting this other example.

- Mr DIY: set of 12 plastic key holders, 5 different colors, 29 THB (cheaper ones, a little smaller in size, are also on display)
- Tesco Lotus next to it: set of 10 very similar pieces, 3 different colors, 69 THB (only these ones on display)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
^ Where were the more expensive ones produced, Anton?

The reason I ask is because I noticed that the cheaper ones are imported from Japan and I have seen another product also imported from Japan, with a similar package design (but sold in Tesco), that was much cheaper than the same product of a different origin and sold in the same Tesco store.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Where were the more expensive ones produced, Anton?

I just checked personally on the rear of packs: they are from China. No surprise, supermarkets in general charge a great margin on this kind of products.

From China is also another type available at Mr DIY, even less expensive than the Japanese: 5 pieces for 10 THB or 6 pieces with slightly richer colour choice for 14 THB. Both from same brand and identical in shape.

At The Mall stationary department they offer small boxes of 25 pieces, 5 colours, starting from 120 THB; and of 50 pieces, 5 colours, for 164 THB. Probably made in Thailand because with Thai text on original labels, no laid on sticker.

So this is the picture for the moment:

- 2.00 THB a piece, Chinese product at Mr DIY, 5-piece pack (random colours, max 5 colours)
- 2.33 THB a piece, Chinese product at Mr DIY, 6-piece pack (random colours, max 6 colours)
- 2.44 THB a piece, Japanese product at Mr DIY, 12-piece pack (5 colours)
- 3.28 THB a piece, Thai (?) product at The Mall, 50-piece pack (5 colours)
- 4.80 THB a piece, Thai (?) product at The Mall, 25-piece pack (5 colours)
- 6.90 THB a piece, Chinese product at Tesco, 10-piece pack (3 colours)

I may be completing the list next few days as I actually need to buy a certain quantity for someone who asked back home. But I already know one store where I will NOT buy them for sure  :P

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
- 2.00 THB a piece, Chinese product at Mr DIY, 5-piece pack (random colours, max 5 colours)

I found this identical product also in a large stationary store downtown, Chaipat ชัยพัทธ์ on Mukkramonti next to the railway station and opposite Wat Samorai: there (first photo) it costs exactly twice as much as at Mr DIY.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Mr DIY opened also inside The Mall, next to the "Rope Course" playground on 2nd floor, where Winner furniture used to be. They are having success judging from the crowd inside at around 13:30 this afternoon. Aisles are narrower than in the one at Tesco Lotus and you could hardly move around today. They opened this last Friday if I was informed correctly.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Update: third and fourth MrDIY stores opened in Korat in recent years, respectively:
- Inside Central Korat, level 3, relatively small surface, narrow aisles like the one inside The Mall
- At Save One between Krungsri bank and Sukhi Plaza buffet restaurant, wide surface with access also from the opposite side (near food center)