Korat-Farang.com

Travelling to the UK from Thailand. Procedure.

Alfie · 11 · 282

Spursruss and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I may have to travel back to the UK in the next few weeks; possibly longer but likely before the New Year. I know things can change quickly and often with regard to rules and regulations during these Covid times but I would like some general guidance on what to do and how to do it and hopefully to find out what the latest procedures are.

Do I book a plane ticket first? Do I need to arrange and pay for quarantine in the UK in advance or can that be done on arrival? Wht do I need to do and need to prepare?

Oh, and I will likely be travelling back to Thailand after a few weeks/a month in the UK, so I suppose that will be more stuff to think about but I'd like to get the Thailand > UK section sorted in my head before I burst my head with the return journey arrangements.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi Alfie, I'm sure you've seen this but anyway https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#red-list-rules

As Thailand is on the UK red list atm, (this may change before you fly), you will need to do a 10 day Hotel Quarantine on arrival, price will include a Day 2 and Day 8 PCR test for around GBP2000.

I would book the air ticket first, (Finnair were very flexible with cancels and rebooks with me and Finland is a low Covid country), then book the UK Hotel Quarantine as I think you will need that and (maybe) the testing refs to complete the UK's 'Passenger Locator Form' which is easy to do online . . . .

Then, arrange your PCR test in Thailand on the 3rd day before the day on which you fly, (make sure you get the Covid certificate AND the Lab report on the PCR).

N.B. rules differ within the 4 UK countries . . .

(((( The 10 days HQ is a bind and a ploy occurs to me - fly to somewhere NOT on the red list for an 11 day holiday BEFORE you connect to the UK then you can do a home Q on arrival in the UK - just a thought  ;)  ))))

I am trying to arrange a return to Th. atm but am rebooking my flight now, for early November, in the hope that Thailand will reopen to double vax tourists and residents by then, i.e. thus without ASQ. It's a gamble - we'll see . . . . .
I admit my head is spinning  :(

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks for your reply, Roger. The whole procedure is very off-putting. But maybe that's the plan. :( It would be easier and cheaper if Thailand were not on the UK's red list. Do you know how often the British government updates the red/amber/green list?

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
I felt much the same Alfie when I came to the UK BUT step by step, it soon gets done   :)

1. Book flight 2. Book UK Hotel Q with Day 2&8 tests included Q 3. Do online 'Passenger Locator form' 4. Get a PCR test on the 3rd day before the day you fly.

Green has gone now - just red and amber. Yes the 'Red list' might change anytime - but no sign of another revision yet . . .
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Alfie, you could also consider an 11 day holiday en route UK, in say Ireland (or any other 'amber') on the way back. When you fill in your Passenger Locator Form from Ireland, instead of Hotel Q you then designate a UK home address for 10 days Q ?

I guess that ruse might work anywhere that the entry requirements don't include Hotel Q - I mention Ireland because I heard they'd dropped their own 'red zones'.

Online Spursruss

The next update to the Green/ Red lists is due to take place on either the 7th or 8th of October.  The lists are revised every 3 weeks.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks Russ and Roger.

Roger, I think the cost of staying 10 days in Ireland or anywhere else would be as much or more expensive that the cost of UK quarantine: 2,235 pounds.

I looked at the online quarantine booking site yesterday and was surprised at the limited locations available. Not that I'm fussy where exactly but I would think it limits where to book a flight to.

Roger, how much did the PCR test in Thailand cost you?

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Alfie both BKK and Sirivej in Chan were B3,000 - a drive thru service, (in the event I paid for 3  :(  ).

Just to remind - make sure you get the Laboratory Report as well as the Certificate, or you may have trouble at the airport. It takes a day to get the paperwork so count back 3 days before the day on which you fly for the test.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
A bit of good news.

Thailand will move off the UK's red list at 4am Monday 11 October (but if you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the red list rules).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Looks like a clear run TO the UK (for the fully vaccinated) now ? Just the Passenger Locator Form before departure and a Lateral Flow test 'UK side', booked in advance ?

Is the 72 hour PCR still required by the UK or the airline ? Not sure.

Alfie looks a lot easier for you now - requirements for a return to Thailand should be crystal clear by then !! Certainly NO 14/7 day ASQ   :)

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Looks like a clear run TO the UK (for the fully vaccinated) now ?

British citizens returning to the UK don't actually have to be fully vaccinated. Foreigners do. At least that was the case when I last looked.

Alfie looks a lot easier for you now - requirements for a return to Thailand should be crystal clear by then !! Certainly NO 14/7 day ASQ   :)

My trip back to the UK has been postponed. Probabaly not now until sometime around next April. Fingers crossed for a much easier travel experience both ways. Of course, it could be much worse then. We'll have to wait and see.