Korat-Farang.com

Little liklihood of visa amnesty renewal after 31 July

Hector · 14 · 1593

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I see from various sources eg Khaosod English dated 10 July that a Thai Immigration spokesman has said that there is little liklihood of a further extension to the visa amnesty which is due to end 31 July.  Whilst this doesn't affect me it will affect my grandson (married to a Thai, 2 kids and here for 8 years already) and tens of thousands of others.  Whilst we might all think this is barking mad, if this is indeed the case then farang are going to be leaving like Lemmings off the cliff edge.  Does anyone have any sort of handle on this one?

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
As July 31st approaches, anyone with a 90 day report overdue, (or coming up), should get in to ImmiG right now and expedite, (to avoid likely congestion and confusion Aug 1st onwards).

Hector, whilst ImmiG look for the way forward, surely the worst your Grandson faces is to be in Thailand on Visa overstay ? Of course that's a worry but surely Thailand will find a way to accommodate that ?

You will have seen 'The Thaiger', "Short of actually expelling foreigners with expired visas, there will have to be some sort of system to either extend the current amnesty or find a way for foreigners to report their location, and possibly having to pay for another extension" but the writer then spoils the calm with this, "All foreigners with expired visas would be well advised to gather information about flights out of Thailand"   ::)  I think that's alarmist.

But I know no more than you Hector - good luck to your Grandson and all   8)

Here's a suggestion for ImmiG - the extension started March 26th - so do Visa renewals for March 26/27 on August 3rd, March 30/31 on August 4th and so on - that way they'll recover a 4 month lag in 2 months - ( visas to be extended to allow this).

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/what-will-happen-to-foreigners-with-expired-visas-after-july-31
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Hector - just spoke to a Danish friend - he can't come on our bike ride today because he's going to do his 'Visa' - extension of permission to stay - marriage basis ! His Visa expires next month but he has been into ImmiG and they say he can do it one month ahead (today) as it gets sent to BKK anyway and takes a week or two   ::)

Your Grandson does not have to wait until Aug 1st to renew - ImmiG are open NOW for both 90 day reports and Visa renewals - right now ?   ???  Possibly ?

It just hit me like a brick that ImmiG may be doing renewals - they said OK until July 31st BUT have we made the mistake of assuming NO renewals until Aug 1st ?

I may be getting confused but it's food for thought. Good luck !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Thank you for that.  The problem is not with visa extensions for marriage (or retirement), the problem is for all those tens of thousands who are here on short term visas who have to go out of the country every 90 days to renew them.  As borders are closed they can't do so.  Imm in April granted an amnesty to all these people till 31 July but are now saying that it is unlikely to be extended.  If this is the case a lot of farang will have a major problem.

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
OK Hector I understand now - thanks. Surely Govt. will come up with something to help  8)

Meantime, worth noting again that anyone needing 'Extension of permission to stay', on Retirement or Marriage basis CAN go in NOW for a 90 day report OR a 12 month renewal - no need to wait until July 31st - (if expiry is in August - probably worth going in before July 31st anyway).  GLA

Offline TJD

My understanding from the Mrs. is the Thai Government has flip flopped on COVID related policies quite a bit, sometimes within the same day, so there's a reasonable chance we haven't heard the last word on this topic.

From a Pandemic Response point of view, resuming "normal" visa rules, procedures and enforcement before Thailand itself, and the rest of the world for that matter, is truly "back to normal", doesn't make sense.

If they don't extend the temporary amnesty, the result will be a lot of people leaving their relative safe/sterile zone in Thailand to enter the regional/global travel scrum, and assuming they would be let back in, additional bodies injected into the State Quarantine programme.

Like Hector, doesn't impact me but my common sense vote would be leave people in place, extend amnesty another month, then reassess.  We'll see how this plays out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:15:41 PM by TJD »

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
TJD instead of amnesty they could renew those Visas at ImmiG offices without requiring exit from Thailand - just this once. Then ImmiG will know where they are etc. As your Missis says - the Govt are likely to come up with something  ???  Hopefully   ;)

Offline TJD

TJD instead of amnesty they could renew those Visas at ImmiG offices without requiring exit from Thailand - just this once. Then ImmiG will know where they are etc. As your Missis says - the Govt are likely to come up with something  ???  Hopefully   ;)
Even better. ^ 

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Hi Hector - there's certainly not much encouragement there. Has your Grandson asked for advice from the British Embassy ?  (But even that these days, might not be so easy   ::)  )

Hopefully there'll be a helpful change and wish you and your Grandson ATB.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Just to follow up on this one, A couple of days ago a couple of papers  (Nation, Pattaya News) reported that Thai Immigration had decided to extend the amnesty to 26 Sep, but that anyone on a short term visa still here without having extended/renewed his/her visa would be subject to arrest, blacklisted and deported.  Shortly afterwards a message on the Immigration website said; "wait for it; we haven't issued the official statement yet!  Coming Tuesday."
The interesting part of all this is that no-one on a short term visa can renew it until borders re-open, so come 26 Sep and they still haven't done so, the situation will be precisely as it is now.  Forget any help from most Embassies, by the way, if like the British Embassy they simply claim that it is not their problem.
Personally, I have a certain sympathy with immigration's bid to do something of a 'clear out' - as they put it.  They estimate nearly 500,000 foreigners in the country on some sort of short term visa (or none at all), but maybe they could do it with a bit more clarity and at the same time take the opportunity to bring the Immigration requirements into the IT 21st Century!  Fat chance pf that, I know!

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Hector in view of your personal interest, I think this is very open of you indeed, "I have a certain sympathy with immigration's bid to do something of a 'clear out'". I agree with you completely, but had refrained from saying so.

Reports emerging on this ImmiG dilemma are confusing and I'd also seen that 'case to case' comment that RDRO mentions - however, it's hard to put much faith in that, particularly as the Embassies don't seem to want to help.

Good luck to your Grandson - I hope he is able to regularise his situation with some 'clarity'. ATB

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
GOV’T RENEWS VISA AMNESTY FOR FOREIGNERS STRANDED IN PANDEMIC

July 21, 2020

The Cabinet on Tuesday said it extended the amnesty for foreigners’ stay in Thailand amid the global coronavirus outbreak for a second time.

The automatic extension of stay in the Kingdom, which was to expire on July 31, is now renewed until Sep. 26, according to government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul.

The mandatory 90-day reporting for foreigners residing in Thailand is also suspended, she said. The announcement was later published in the Cabinet minutes released by the government.

Officials said the measure will help travelers who found themselves stranded in Thailand due to travel restrictions brought about by the coronavirus pandemic.

Under the visa amnesty, the foreigners will not have to queue up at immigration to report their residency or extend their stay in the country.

Khaosod English
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/07/21/new-round-of-visa-extension-amnesty-approved
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. If you can't explain it at all, you don't understand it at all.