Korat-Farang.com

Putin, Russia, Ukraine, NATO etc.

Roger · 46 · 2368

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
She is probably speaking for the UK government Roger I am sure and in reality what incentive is it to Putin to cease the war if all sanctions stay in place for the next 10 years, absoulutely none!
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi SFS. Thanks for your reply.

Actually I wonder if Liz Truss did speak for the Govt - she has certainly gone 'off script' before.

If Russia withdraws / ends hostilities it will save it's own massive costs in both military equipment and consumables and it's own losses of human life.

And what about the trillions of $ damage they have already caused in Ukraine ? Who foots that bill?

Just a 'whoops' and carry on as before is IMO unconscionable - it smacks of appeasement to me. And Russia can never be accepted in the community of Nations again while Putin is there.

Moving on, dear old Joe can't win can he ? If he says something he gets  battered but if he doesn't, he's doddery ole' Joe. As it happens on this one, he's wrong IMO and Macron is right. ATB

Just noticed this https://uk.yahoo.com/news/russia-ukraine-did-while-were-160412218.html

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 06:50:54 AM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
SFS - honestly I came to my own conclusions before reading 'comments' in the DT which include hundreds like this :-

"As a Conservative party member I had hopes that Lizz Truss could be a future leader. If this article is correct she cannot be. She hasn't the guts or the strategic vision. The worst International policy decision in the last 50 years was when President Bush did not press on to Baghdad and depose Sadam Hussein in 1991 when the International coalition had the world's support. From that came Gulf war 11 and the mess that flowed from it. Which we are still suffering from.

To now allow Putin to get off scott free from all the death, suffering, and destruction he and his henchmen have caused, just on a promise he won't do it again, is unconscionable. To allow Putin to go back to his plotting and scheming to cause trouble in the future would be a mistake as big as Bush's in 1991.

Who is going to pay for Ukraine to be rebuilt Lizz? The British taxpayer?
"

And . . . .

"We shouldn't even think about lifting sanctions until all Russian troops have withdrawn, a restoration fund has been agreed for the destruction of homes and cities, compensation paid to every civilian family for the death of loved ones and above all the removal of Putin, dead or alive, with a cast-iron guarantee that Russia will stay within its own borders in future."
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Ms. Truss is getting there . . . .

"She said: “There should be no talk of removing sanctions, while Putin’s troops are in Ukraine, and the threat of Russian aggression looms over Europe. We need to see Putin withdraw his troops. We need to see Ukraine’s full territorial integrity restored. We need to see Russia’s ability for further aggression stopped..” "

Quite how the 'bold' bit happens I've no idea. But at least Ms. Truss is toughening her words now.

IMO sanctions should be declared 'permanent' subject to a review after 10 years. Sanctions on the Oligarchs to continue indefinitely subject to review if funds can be returned to a Ukraine recovery fund . . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/04/sanctions-on-russia-must-stay-till-all-troops-leave-ukraine-says-liz-truss

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
"The Thai prime minister, Prayuth Chan-ocha, a former army general who first came to power in a coup . . . . . . has said excessive commentary should be avoided. Thailand, whose foreign policy has traditionally been likened to bamboo “bending with the wind”, has maintained that it has a neutral stance on the war. It did, however, vote in favour of a UN resolution that condemned Russia."

"The Thai government faces an awkward balancing act. Russia is not a key trading partner, but, post-Covid, Russians have accounted for one of the largest groups of tourists arriving in Thailand. Later this year Thailand will chair the Apec summit, where 21 nations including Russia, the US and China with gather. Prayuth said all news media should avoid giving too much analysis. Doing so, he said, “will cause problems to the overall image of our country”.

There's no 'awkward balancing act' at all. Stand up to be counted Thailand - this makes me ashamed to be here . . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/06/in-thailand-the-war-in-ukraine-divides-the-generations

Online Roger

• Administrator
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thailand abstained in the vote at the UN expelling Russia from the HRC. Other abstainers include Iraq, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, S. Africa and Nigeria. In many cases, nice Company to keep ?  >:(

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/singapore-abstains-vote-suspend-russia-un-human-rights-council-001357804.html