Korat-Farang.com

The Globe Stockton

Teessider · 4 · 2816

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
This art deco theatre hosted The Beatles on 22 November 1963 which was the day JFK was assassinated. It gradually fell into disrepair, surviving for a while as a cinema before closing in 1997. Over the last few years it has been painstakingly restored at a cost of £28m. It reopened this week with a concert by Mcfly.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Very glad it was saved: so many developers would have let it rot until past the point of no return, a very common practise over here.

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Teess thanks for posting about the Globe - wonderful to see it (or any theatre) given a new lease of life !

I'll just express amazement at the GBP28million costs  :o   To me ONE million is a lot of money. No doubt it was a big project but I wonder where that sum came from and why it had to be such a large amount ?

But fantastic anyway.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
The original estimates were much lower  at £4m when Stockton council began the renovation but when they began dismantling the unsafe areas they found problems with the roof, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, lifts, plumbing, toilet layout and drainage.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal