Korat-Farang.com

Dohome ToGo opens downtown

Anton · 7 · 5700

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
A mini Do Home branch, "Dohome ToGo", opened this morning inside the Tesco Lotus main store on Mitthapap, near The Mall. Tesco Lotus is pursuing its general policy of reducing its own selling surface to rent it out to other businesses. Photo taken this morning.

Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Anton, do you think this is a sign that 'Tesco' as a brand might be readying for an exit of the Thai market (perhaps with a Chinese brand 'buying' it's current footprint)?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Anton, do you think this is a sign that 'Tesco' as a brand might be readying for an exit of the Thai market (perhaps with a Chinese brand 'buying' it's current footprint)?

I don't know but I think it's a bad sign for the Thai consumer market in general.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
...do you think this is a sign that 'Tesco' as a brand might be readying for an exit of the Thai market...

Coolkorat, three months later we can say the answer to your question was "YES", as confirmed in the press today:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1879625/big-changes-in-store-after-landmark-deal

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
A mini Do Home branch, "Dohome ToGo", opened this morning inside the Tesco Lotus main store on Mitthapap, near The Mall.

That Dohome ToGo branch lasted 2 years. They did not renew their renting contract, they shut down on 31.12.21. Relative area now empty and vacant. They put up a sign saying it is closed for renewal but a security guard there confirmed to me that it is closed for good.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
They put up a sign saying it is closed for renewal but a security guard there confirmed to me that it is closed for good.

That seems to be a fairly common practice in Thailand - put up a sign saying the business is closed for updating or overhaul but then never opening again. I've seen that done quite a few times. The oldest and most well-known Phimai duck restaurant in Phimai did it last year. Maybe it's what we might term a "soft-closing" with less loss of face. 

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Maybe it's what we might term a "soft-closing" with less loss of face.

I think Lotus is losing face worse than Dohome in this case: they keep reducing their services to the public and now they find themselves with a vast vacant area, some 600 sqm, in the middle of their store. Serves them well.