Korat-Farang.com

Covid - one for the weekend . . . .

Roger · 9 · 994

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Morning all - just for the weekend . . .

As Boris basks in his latest glories of Partygate and Electoral dismissals and now looks forward to convincing a Parliamentary Committee that he is NOT a bare faced serial bender of the truth, let's have another look at last two years and (IMO), the UK's questionable handling of the Covid pandemic.

Leaving aside obviously barmy ideas about mass crowded events and shaking hands and sharing around the deadly virus for wider benefit (?), I ask the knee up apologists how they can now explain the following differentials in dpm rates still showing as the Stats mature :-

DPM in Brazil 3110, USA 3108, UK 2623, Russia 2607, Sweden 1864

DPM in Japan 248, New Zealand 282, Australia 371, Thailand 436

The 1st group here (except Sweden) are all run by odd to barmy/vicious characters

The 2nd group all embracing tight restrictions on international travel, lockdowns, mask wearing etc.

What conclusions ? All the old cobblers about cultures, ethnicity etc. cannot explain such differentials of this size, so let's put them aside shall we ?

The UK's terrible toll is despite the wonderful efforts of the Vaccine Task Force.

So, in truth, political positions aside, how well did the UK do in handling the Covid pandemic ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
DPM in The Netherlands 1.299 which surprises me as overpopulated country. To be honest do not trust the figures in Thailand.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I would reply, but I haven't a clue what all this means - oh yes, and Robert, I'm 76 too...... perhaps a trip to the Loei is called for too!?

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Hector,
DPM means Deaths Per Million (i Think). Loei: here we come (again)  ;D ;D

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Remove Thailand from the stat, as they cant be trusted on any stats, period, especially under the junta, whatever title they care to bestow on it, and I wouldn't trust the stats from Russia either. But you have answered your own question. Japan, I believe has much to do as being a mask wearing society pre-covid as anything else. The most locked down city in the World was Melbourne and NZ hit problems once lockdown ended, but with both Oz ands NZ, surely the biggest factor is population size v their territory. A luxury western european countries don't have. Oh, and I doubt the Brazilian stats as well!

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Thank you Robert.  It's now clear.  But it also means Disease Protective Measures, Disruptive Pattern Material and about half a dozen other things too. No, I wouldn't trust Thai statistics either, but most statistics are nothing if not self-serving anyway - sorry Roger!

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Hector don't be sorry - they're not my statistics so they're not self-serving.

Caller I tend to agree about not trusting the Thai figures.
I doubt that population density explains the Aussie low figure - most people live in the Cities I guess.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller I tend to agree about not trusting the Thai figures.
I doubt that population density explains the Aussie low figure - most people live in the Cities I guess.

Yes, but they are small and very spread out. Have you been to the Western suburbs of Sydney? For one trip I had to Oz, I used to catch the train from Penrith to Sydney. About the same distance as from Reading to London, and Reading isn't classed a London suburb. And they had very heavy lockdowns.

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Caller I take what you say but Cities in Australia must surely have densely populated areas too.  For me it's hard to see how this factor could possibly explain a differential of 10x.

Moving on, sad to read this :-

"The UK’s Covid inquiry has hired more than 60 barristers despite having no start date, raising fears that it could end up as the most expensive such investigation in history. With almost a year to go before the inquiry is expected to begin hearing evidence, it employs as many barristers as the Bloody Sunday inquiry, the current record holder, which lasted 12 years and cost the taxpayer £192 million.

Baroness Hallett, the Covid inquiry chairman, has taken on 49 junior barristers to work with the 11 QCs already on the books to “conduct legal research, analyse and review documents, identify evidence, draft materials and assist with the preparation of hearings”, according to a statement. The number of barristers working on the inquiry will raise concerns that it could drag on for years, with costs spiralling.

Boris Johnson has yet to agree the inquiry’s terms of reference, and it will have no legal standing until he does so. Lady Hallett’s staff have said they do not expect to begin hearing evidence from witnesses until next spring, a year later than Mr Johnson initially suggested
."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/27/covid-inquiry-hires-60-barristers-could-cost-14m-year/

The World has gone quite mad  >:(