Korat-Farang.com

Cannabis for one and all ?

Roger · 10 · 507

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
I'm interested in what other's think of this development   8)   Myself I am not a user and am almost neutral on the subject. To set the scene - "A country where narcotics offences have attracted the death sentence, and being caught with a joint at a full moon party has landed tourists in the infamous Bangkok Hilton, now appears to have done an about-face. In an apparent bid to attract tourists in the post-Covid slump, the Thai government decriminalised cannabis last month." https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/aug/11/thailand-aims-for-high-season-with-u-turn-on-cannabis-law

I've heard that cannabis is widely available in BKK now but on a 2km trip through Chantaburi this morning, I was surprised to see three cannabis shops - smart places. What a turnaround afterThailand's past severity on the subject . . . .

I noted that after the recent mass shooting in Nong Bua Lamphu, the Governor was threatening to reimpose controls on cannabis. I wonder how long it will be before controls are reimposed.

Perhaps the Govt, seldom failing to disappoint, has loosened all this up too quickly ?   :o
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Cannabis – yes, it's an interesting situation and one, that – as you say, Roger – is pretty much on par for the way the government in Thailand works.  But from what I read the country's 180-degree turn on cannabis is both  political and economic – economic in the same sense as schemes for encouraging tourists to return or foreigners to invest  in the country.  The great Thai god – money! 
As I recall it was  Anutin, who changed the game and created the confusion by de-criminalising the product before enacting the legislation, which even now is mired in confusion, different government ministries consistently say contradictory things – as one might expect here.  The average Thai, whether a consumer or producer, really doesn't know what is legal and what is not.
Economic?  The medicinal cannabis industry had apparently flourished under Anutin as Health Minister and he expects it to be worth billions of dollars to the Thai economy in the years to come.  (Shades of TAT's predictions?)  Since decriminalization, he has given away loads of cannabis plants to households  and I am sure it is no coincidence that Anutin’s brother is on the board of a company that produces hemp!
Political?  Well, Anutin's party Bhumjaithai became the second biggest in the ruling coalition.
I am no user either and have absolutely no vested interest in what the outcome is, but a lot of people do and I think what passes for a Government owes it to them to sort out the mess it has created.  But then I suppose we'll be seeing flying 'moo' before that!

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
    • Rokits Pictures
Growing up in southern California during the late 60s I have tried just about every drug except ones that have to be injected as I hate needles. Pot, weed, May Jane or whatever you want to call it is a drug that equates to alcohol without a hangover and damage to your liver. I still smoke it as it helps my PTSD and do not drink any alcohol.

It needs to be regulated just as alcohol is regulated such as age limitations and driving while impaired.

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Thanks for the background Hector - I don't follow Thai 'politics'. I am greatly surprised to see the smart salons for cannabis that have suddenly materialised in quiet Chantaburi and as you say, 'Government owes it to them to sort out the mess it has created'.

RDRO thanks for your comments and I am totally in agreement with this, 'It needs to be regulated just as alcohol is regulated such as age limitations and driving while impaired'. Amen to that.

Interesting that you use it - I had a recent brush myself. A Brit who works in BKK (he trades gemstones), visits Chan sometimes. He talked about CBD variety for sleep, and he later sent me 4 capsules to try. They went down the drain after a lot of thought but I would try some CBD one day if I was confident of the quality control - it's becoming available in pastille form too. But at my age, I'd never go further with it myself.

ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
This YouTube on the subject was IMO very well worth a watch . . . . . https://youtu.be/cBYryDFLO4Y

In passing I remember hearing - my Friend experimented with a variety in Chan a couple of weeks ago - and collapsed in a heap immediately. Fortunately someone caught him before he cracked his head  - no pun intended.

It is madness to have let ganja loose without any regulations or controls   ::) ::)

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
There are loads of shops selling the stuff i Hua Hin, some as cafes or whatever. I drive past one almost daily and have never seen a soul in there. I think the initial rush to open by loads of small businesses, will eventually see lots of closures, leaving just a few survivors. 

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
Well RDRO - maybe they are  ::)

As Hector observed earlier - "pretty much on par for the way the government in Thailand works".

Sadly so as we see https://thepattayanews.com/2022/11/19/thailands-narcotics-control-board-to-meet-next-week-to-discuss-making-cannabis-an-illegal-narcotic-again-pro-cannabis-groups-to-hold-major-rally/

I see a difference between Government here and in the UK.

In the UK the Govt after discussion, often leaks a potential decision in advance and then backs off in the face of opprobrium , which always comes from somewhere or other.

In Thailand an idea which needs a lot of discussion seems to be implemented prior to discussion or legislation AS IF it were a decision, only to be reversed when the idea is obviously bloody wrong  >:(
Mmmm - maybe try to distinguish ideas from decisions . . . .

I feel sorry for those who have invested in 'ganja' trade maybe to be closed down now   ???

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
'I feel sorry for those who have invested in 'ganja' trade maybe to be closed down now   ??? '

I don't feel sorry for them at all, only jumping on it for a quick profit without worrying about any consequences.
I am however in favour of it as a prescribed medical drug.
Years ago my sister had MS ,took it and found it helped  considerably
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• Wisdom in Forum
That's a bit hard Jivvy - IMO it's no different from other entrepreneurs setting up business, say to sell alcohol. The Govt. had 'legalised it' - you know - act first, think later, as usual . . .

I agree with you that wider availability for medical use is a good idea.