Korat-Farang.com

Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

Tiggs · 5 · 5929

Offline Tiggs

• KFers in Korat
Don't foreigners already pay in the dual pricing, i would of thought this is not the right time to suggest this

Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

The Ministry of Tourism and Sport has introduced the idea of collecting fees from international visitors for the renovation of tourism attractions and natural resources

thainews.prd.go.th
Appeasers believe that if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will become a vegetarian.

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Other countries include a visitor fee in the airfare, which seems a fairer way of doing it than having a set of charges that discriminate against a particular group. I pay the same to visit the Tower of London as a Thai person. How would they feel if anyone British paid 90% less for the same experience (I say "I pay", but given the ticket price for a family is £62.90 to visit the Tower, I'm not going to. What a rip off. I wouldn't mind paying £6.30 though).

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Other countries include a visitor fee in the airfare

Thailand already does that, doesn't it?

I'm not sure Alfie. I did a quick Google and all I could find was this ttr article. The article suggests a landing/ departure tax is not included in the fare already.

Offline TJD

Believe the airport fee has been charged in air tickets for quite some time - 700 Baht? 
https://www.airportthai.co.th/en/airline-marketing/

Then the debate about insurance fee/tax for tourists, although I'm not up to speed on it.

Seems the tourism tax idea in this article is separate from those ^?  Doesn't the Thai government already charge entry fees for sites and national parks they own/operate/maintain? 

Last tourist site I visited with my wife and a Thai/US couple visiting from America, was several months ago - the Phi Mai ruins.  He and I paid the usual "farang" entry fee.    The Thai lady visiting from the US was held up by uniformed gate staff, I presume a government park ranger of sorts, for a dress code problem.  Luckily and quite conveniently, there just happened to be a vendor shop nearby selling pull-over wraps/skirts that met the requirement.   ::)