Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Large Screen TV  (Read 701 times)

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
Large Screen TV
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:25:13 AM »

Looking to buy a large screen smart TV. 55-60 inches. If anyone sees an after Christmas sale please let me know which store and if anyone has a brand recommendation please post it.

jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: Large Screen TV
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »

Try the big lotus near the Mall
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »

Just be aware that, as with computers, tv’s are improving with new technology every month, week, day......lol.....so when they are on sale it is to get rid of slightly older models.
Some of the improvements are so insignificant that we wouldnt even know but they are still there.
But some are obvious, like the amount of HDMI sockets, and whether they are equipped with the technology to play movies from a hard drive or flash drive. (Codex)
You can generally check the year of manufacture from the figures on the back of the tv.
Having said all that if you just want a good picture without being too fussy then the cheapest Should do....lol
One more thing, if you intend watching tv over the internet then go for a Smart tv and you wont need to splash out on an android box. Personally I always go for either a Samsung or LG.
HL

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »

Thai Fai opposite Klang Plaza always have good offers,

Excellent after sales service too.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Kev

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »

I have a couple of TCL smart tvs here in Oz, no probs, dramas. good pictures and work well with easy setup and play movies good from usb drive.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »

Derek there's 2 Thai Fah's - one the other side of Yamoo ? I agree - they are very good shops.

RDRO - I'm dead jealous - my 40'' LCD Samsung soldiers on after 8 years and the pic is great - but I'd luv an excuse for a new one.

HL - Samsung and LG are fine, also Sony, Panasonic ? Gotta be LED and a smart TV - also Ultra HD looks good. I'm not sure about these curved screens though.

Enjoy . . .
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 07:05:15 PM »

Derek there's 2 Thai Fah's - one the other side of Yamoo ? I agree - they are very good shops.

RDRO - I'm dead jealous - my 40'' LCD Samsung soldiers on after 8 years and the pic is great - but I'd luv an excuse for a new one.

HL - Samsung and LG are fine, also Sony, Panasonic ? Gotta be LED and a smart TV - also Ultra HD looks good. I'm not sure about these curved screens though.

Enjoy . . .

I have a 55 Samsung smart tv with a curved screen and I love it. I think it depends on the situation of the room. My tv is on a wall with the settees dead opposite in a straight line, therefore the curves are complimentary to how we are sitting and viewing. If it was in the middle of a room with chairs on the sides so that you were watching from an angle then I would not like that. If I was going to replace it then I would most certainly go for another curved screen.though.
HL

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »

For interest l bought my tv’s from Global House, they have some great offers and when the Samsung I bought last time stopped working after two weeks, they changed it straightaway for another brand new one with no quibbles.
HL

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. I will let you know what I buy when I buy it.

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

rdrokit,

You just missed out out on a good deal at power buy at the mall on the 31st of dec'. We were looking for a large TV 55- 60' they had a good deal on most tv's. Got a sony 55" KD-55X8000E. regular price 39,999bhat on special + other incentives for 20,000 Baht.

Not sure if this sale is still on,never purchased a BIG item for these guys before so cannot comment on service, probably see in 3 yrs time when the warranty runs out LOL.

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »

rdrokit,

You just missed out out on a good deal at power buy at the mall on the 31st of dec'. We were looking for a large TV 55- 60' they had a good deal on most tv's. Got a sony 55" KD-55X8000E. regular price 39,999bhat on special + other incentives for 20,000 Baht.

Not sure if this sale is still on,never purchased a BIG item for these guys before so cannot comment on service, probably see in 3 yrs time when the warranty runs out LOL.

KC

Thanks KC. I will check out the Mall tomorrow. These guys do one of the best reviews on TVs that I have ever seen. Very technical.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »

In my experience The Power Mall has good choice and fair prices. Always ask for the price after discount regardless of what is being displayed. Special offer periods are recurring there, just wait a few weeks for the next one. Some additional tips:

- If you plan to be watching TV with a headphone on, be sure you buy a set that includes a headphone socket because not all sets do.

- If you plan to play movies from a hard drive or flash drive as HL says, be sure the set you buy is modern enough to read all supports and all video formats, not just only the one or two most popular video formats and that's it. If you carry with you a USB flash drive with 4 or 5 sample videos on it, all in different formats, you can test the TV set personally in this respect. And while you're at it check out also how handy and user-friendly are navigation menus.

- Depending on where you want to place your TV set and whether you will need to rotate it or not, pay attention also to the kind of built-in stand it comes with. Most sets come with two-feet stands of various shapes, but some sets come with a single-foot central stand.
Village idiots unwelcome here

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 06:23:25 PM »

In my experience The Power Mall has good choice and fair prices. Always ask for the price after discount regardless of what is being displayed. Special offer periods are recurring there, just wait a few weeks for the next one. Some additional tips:

- If you plan to be watching TV with a headphone on, be sure you buy a set that includes a headphone socket because not all sets do.

- If you plan to play movies from a hard drive or flash drive as HL says, be sure the set you buy is modern enough to read all supports and all video formats, not just only the one or two most popular video formats and that's it. If you carry with you a USB flash drive with 4 or 5 sample videos on it, all in different formats, you can test the TV set personally in this respect. And while you're at it check out also how handy and user-friendly are navigation menus.

- Depending on where you want to place your TV set and whether you will need to rotate it or not, pay attention also to the kind of built-in stand it comes with. Most sets come with two-feet stands of various shapes, but some sets come with a single-foot central stand.

Good thinks to pay attention to. Some of the new smart TVs have bluetooth so they connect to bluetooth headphones.

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »

I told you guys I would let you what I bought. Went to The Mall today and went upstairs to the power mall. I bought a 55" TLC Series 6 TV. Original price 34K and got it for 25K and got 400 baht in gift certificates. Probably could have got it cheaper if I waited a month or 2 when the 2019 models are out but need a TV now.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tcl-6-series-r615-r617

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 05:27:23 PM »

enjoy the BIG screen rdrokit!
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »

enjoy the BIG screen rdrokit!
Thanks KC.

Kev

• KFers in Korat
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 03:57:14 AM »

enjoy as I said my TCL TVs work fine

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »

I bought a 55" TLC Series 6 TV

Are you happy with your TV so far Rdrokit? How is it with reading videos from an external drive (if you're using it also for that)? I need to buy one for me too, so I'm interested.
Village idiots unwelcome here

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:32 AM »

Are you happy with your TV so far Rdrokit? How is it with reading videos from an external drive (if you're using it also for that)? I need to buy one for me too, so I'm interested.
Anton,
Haven't set it up yet. The construction workers are just finishing up my "man cave" and it will be going in there along with my indoor golf simulator and bar. I will let you know how I like it as soon as possible. Think maybe this weekend.

rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »

Played a little with it over the weekend. Really like it, no regrets so far. It's an Android TV so you can pair it with your smart phone. It was easier doing the initial set up with my phone. It comes with 2 remotes, the regular one for the TV and a separate one just for Netflix which I haven't tried yet as I do not subscribe to Netflix. Picture is great. I will definitely start downloading only 1080 and Bluray shows to take full advantage of the TV's picture quality. The only thing I didn't like was during initial set up. The first thing you do is pick a language so of course I picked English. Then about half way through the set up it asks for your location so I picked Thailand and boom all the writing turned into Thai. So I put Australia as the location as it was the only country on the list where English was spoken. Hope this reviews helps.
Pages: [1] 2