Korat-Farang.com

Do you think this is wise ?

ken kenobie · 6 · 171

Offline ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat

On a recent trip away from home staying at a friends place while out looking around I spotted a nice European style house , nothing out of the ordinary , except in the house front garden was a flag pole with an obvious foreign nation flag on it . I pointed the flag out to my friend and his comment was that having a non Thailand flag at your house may be a bad idea , yes other foreigners will be able to see and recognize the foreign flag , but to some less trustworthy people it could be an advertisement that shouts , here’s a rich foreigners house full of valuables  ::)

Personally I would not have any indication on my house that a foreigner lives here , same goes for sticking a plastic oval GB sticker on the back of my car.

What do you think , would having foreign flag flying at your home be wise ?

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
I see alot of foreigners flying their county flag but they also display the Thai flag.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
If I had a Union Jack flying high that would be very misleading - just think how disappointed any raiders would be when they found that ''here’s a rich foreigner's house full of valuables'', was not true  ;)
Bigger all to steal in my house   8)

I'd make the point that most people generally know where the Falang's live in their neighbourhood. If I was tempted to fly a 'Jack' I'd probably fly a Thai flag too . . . .
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Many years ago I flew the St George's Cross from my house alongside the Thai flag.

A few days later the local chief of police came and told me to take it down.

He said only Thai flags were allowed.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
A few days later the local chief of police came and told me to take it down.

He was completely wrong, but I bet you didn't argue!

We had reason to check this as we wanted to fly flags at the factory (in addition to the Thai flag). It is perfectly legal to fly the flags of other countries, and fly them all at the same height (as sometimes people believe the Thai flag should be higher); indeed, as a mark of respect to the other countries they should be displayed at the same height. But perception is a strange thing, and our Thai FD was convinced this was not possible even in the face of absolute evidence.

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
A few days later the lohttp://korat-farang.com/forum/Smileys/classic/tongue.gifcal chief of police came and told me to take it down.

He was completely wrong, but I bet you didn't argue!

We had reason to check this as we wanted to fly flags at the factory (in addition to the Thai flag). It is perfectly legal to fly the flags of other countries, and fly them all at the same height (as sometimes people believe the Thai flag should be higher); indeed, as a mark of respect to the other countries they should be displayed at the same height. But perception is a strange thing, and our Thai FD was convinced this was not possible even in the face of absolute evidence.

You are correct, I didn't argue although he was wrong.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:06:59 AM by dereklev »
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson