Korat-Farang.com

Your thoughts on Thai street food

ken kenobie · 5 · 139

Offline ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
Way back when I first arrived in Thailand I was an enthusiastic and avid consumer of Thai street food . The endless road side stalls and wandering push cart vendors peddling all manner of delicious Thai food and drinks. There I was wandering around the night markets chomping on wonderful BBQ chicken on a stick or grilled prawns and of course endless deep fried bananas or fresh crepes smothered in sweet condensed milk.

Then it happened I was struck down with food poisoning and ended up in hospital where I lay with a saline drip tube in one arm and hypodermic needle marks on the other arm. That experience and the doctors acidic comment about being a foreigner and the possible bad side effects of eating street food changed the way I looked at my eating habits . The die was cast and from that day I never again and never have eaten any Thai street food .  This may sound some what of a drastic knee jerk reaction , but the thought of once again having to endure another bout food poisoning and unpleasant hospital stay is just too much to bear .

Any one else avoid eating Thai street food or had bad experiences .

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Offline Bournemouth

Street Food. Only eat when cooked fresh in front of me.

Had food poisoning from "Farang" places.

Like every where you take your chances.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Roadside bbq chicken is often there for hours over the grill before it's purchased and may be covered in dust and residue of diesel fumes etc. Delicious though  :)

Noodles - my last 'upset' was within an hour of eating at the roadside.

I think it's possible to see whether a place looks 'clean' or not but that's all you can do - guess - then try it and hope. 'Falang' food in Thailand is less likely to be a problem as it is often cooked to order ?

KK - deep fried bananas - excellent but I always wonder about the oil it's cooked in.

Many noodle 'shops' stay open until the days food is used up. That's good - starting fresh each day. But in contrast, there must be a lot of unsold food, uncooked and cooked, at the end of each day in the market - what about fresh meat and fish (with flies all day). I guess much of it is fridged and offered for sale again  ??? 

I eat at home often and usually at known places when we go out.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:53:15 AM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Street Food. Only eat when cooked fresh in front of me.

Had food poisoning from "Farang" places.

Like every where you take your chances.

Yes , like many situations here , its a gamble  :)

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Roadside bbq chicken is often there for hours over the grill before it's purchased and may be covered in dust and residue of diesel fumes etc. Delicious though  :)

Noodles - my last 'upset' was within an hour of eating at the roadside.

I think it's possible to see whether a place looks 'clean' or not but that's all you can do - guess - then try it and hope. 'Falang' food in Thailand is less likely to be a problem as it is often cooked to order ?

KK - deep fried bananas - excellent but I always wonder about the oil it's cooked in.

Many noodle 'shops' stay open until the days food is used up. That's good - starting fresh each day. But in contrast, there must be a lot of unsold food, uncooked and cooked, at the end of each day in the market - what about fresh meat and fish (with flies all day). I guess much of it is fridged and offered for sale again  ??? 

I eat at home often and usually at known places when we go out.

I'm with you on the eat at home thing :)

Ken