Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcoming new members: please email your details and preferred username to admin@korat-farang.com. We will set up your membership and email a temporary password for you to change.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: General Election 2019  (Read 584 times)

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
General Election 2019
« on: January 24, 2019, 07:35:34 AM »

The General has announced that a General Election will be held on the 24th March 2019.

He hasn't said if he will run or not but I doubt he will.

Same protagonists as always the Democrats and Thai Rak Thai.

But now there is a new party The Future Freedom party headed by Thanatorn Juangroongruangkit

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1549982/future-forward-party-officially-launched-eyes-pms-job

They are very popular with the young and might just surprise the other parties and win!!!
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Re: General Election 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »

March 24th then. Thanatorn looks interesting - I wonder when we might learn some details of his policies ? Thailand appears be in a hush atm - it doesn't feel like a pre-election period at all. Thanks Derek.

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 07:49:57 AM »

They certainly didn't waste any time here near Nong Ki,with pickups cruising around with big pictures including Abhisit on them
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:00:36 AM by dereklev »
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:09:55 AM »

So an Election with the Army, the Monarchy and Politicians involved.

It seems unlikely that Princess Ubolratana will be able to stand now.

Whose the main 'Red shirt' candidate ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 08:40:03 AM »

So an Election with the Army, the Monarchy and Politicians involved.

It seems unlikely that Princess Ubolratana will be able to stand now.

Whose the main 'Red shirt' candidate ?

Viroj Pao

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailands-main-opposition-pheu-thai-party-picks-leader-ahead-of-general-election

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:04:40 AM »

After a brief flurry of excitement, this was not to be.

''Twenty-four hours of high drama in Thai politics ended abruptly on Saturday when a party that nominated a princess to run for prime minister ended her brief candidacy. The move came after her brother, Thailand’s king, attacked the candidacy as unconstitutional. The Thai Raksa Chart (Save the Nation) party swore loyalty to King Maha Vajiralongkorn in a statement issued after his late-night intervention. It also expressed gratitude to Princess Ubolratana Mahidol for her kindness toward the party.

Ubolratana’s vanishingly brief political career electrified Thailand. She would have represented a party allied to the exiled tycoon and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and the combination of his vast popular support and her royal pedigree made her an instant frontrunner. She could potentially have bridged the fault line that has caused more than a decade of political turmoil in Thailand between the populist “red shirts”, who back Thaksin, and the conservative, royalist “yellow shirts” aligned with the military
.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/09/thai-princess-ubolratana-ends-campaign-prime-minister

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »

A forthright look at Thailand's politics from the BKK Post :-

''An explosion of far-right anti-Thaksin extremism is by far the most worrying fallout from the political tumult that grabbed the nation by the throat last Friday, among other disturbing developments. From its relatively stable position as a dictatorship moving towards a new election, Thailand plunged back into extreme political volatility overnight. Speculation is rife about what could happen next with a plethora of assumptions and possibilities, but no clear facts. The murkiness and climate of doubt blanketing the country is decidedly not healthy for the upcoming poll and ultimate return to democracy.''

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1627798/plot-twists-put-democratic-return-at-risk?

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »

The murkiness and climate of doubt blanketing the country is decidedly not healthy for the upcoming poll and ultimate return to democracy[/i].

Good article, but we all know what is going to happen. Prayut will become PM and that's when the trouble will start.

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »

The murkiness and climate of doubt blanketing the country is decidedly not healthy for the upcoming poll and ultimate return to democracy[/i].

Good article, but we all know what is going to happen. Prayut will become PM and that's when the trouble will start.

It's a no win situation if Prayuth wins we'll have Red shirts on the street again and if the Thaksinites win we'll have the Yellow shirts demonstrating!

The new Army Chief has not ruled out another coup and could make a move if he doesn't like the election results.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1560182/army-chiefs-refusal-to-rule-out-another-coup-draws-ire][url]https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1560182/army-chiefs-refusal-to-rule-out-another-coup-draws-ire[/url]

Thailand is only democratic if the army agrees to it!!

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 12:11:40 AM »

It's a no win situation if Prayuth wins we'll have Red shirts on the street again and if the Thaksinites win we'll have the Yellow shirts demonstrating!

I think it's not only that, but some of the changes he will seek to introduce once he has 'political legitimacy'. So the internet will be under attack, people could continue to be locked up for nothing, political parties dissolved and so on. A bit of Burmese militarism with a touch of Hun Sen thrown in.

I actually think the people could rebel! 

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »

I think it's not only that, but some of the changes he will seek to introduce once he has 'political legitimacy'. So the internet will be under attack, people could continue to be locked up for nothing, political parties dissolved and so on. A bit of Burmese militarism with a touch of Hun Sen thrown in.

I actually think the people could rebel!

I don't think Prayuth can win a legitimate election.

To win he will have to persuade the voters of Isaan to vote for him and I just cannot see that happening.

He is very unpopular here and if he somehow wins then I agree with you that there could be a People's Rebellion.

You may recall this Rap video which lists his failures....

https://vimeo.com/298769394

English subtitles on this video.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:20:46 AM by dereklev »

caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Sage
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »

I'm sure you're right, but he is still likely to end up as PM because of the senate he appointed having a say in who the next PM is.

And whilst as we all know the rich are getter richer and have a lot of clout, they certainly don't all support Prayut, who has already shown where his favours lie, and because the economy is taking a hit.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1591154/thirayuth-regime-has-plot-to-cling-to-power

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »

I'm sure you're right, but he is still likely to end up as PM because of the senate he appointed having a say in who the next PM is.

And whilst as we all know the rich are getter richer and have a lot of clout, they certainly don't all support Prayut, who has already shown where his favours lie, and because the economy is taking a hit.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1591154/thirayuth-regime-has-plot-to-cling-to-power

Yes he has control of the Senate.

I was surprised to see that the supposedly non-partisan Senate is made up of 250 military appointees.

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »

Well we certainly have an Election on our hands now  ::)

Down the side roads to Laem Sing from Chantaburi today, there are many notices at the roadside. Cycling, I had the pleasure of catching up some loudspeakers on a pick up - the joy of diesel fumes and 120 decibels   :(

No 7 is definitely the prettiest  ;)  whilst No 25 looks like a veritable Pirate  :o

I like Abhisit and saw one poster of him with a Lady widely shown on a No 9 billing alone - (was it No 9 ?).

On a serious note, Princess Ubolratana, quite rightly was not allowed to stand. But I notice a number of Gentlemen in Military uniform on the posters - that's odd ? Maybe they should campaign in demob for a civil election ?

Derek if you see this, what No. is Viroj Pao ?

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 01:03:56 AM »

Well we certainly have an Election on our hands now  ::)

Down the side roads to Laem Sing from Chantaburi today, there are many notices at the roadside. Cycling, I had the pleasure of catching up some loudspeakers on a pick up - the joy of diesel fumes and 120 decibels   :(

No 7 is definitely the prettiest  ;)  whilst No 25 looks like a veritable Pirate  :o

I like Abhisit and saw one poster of him with a Lady widely shown on a No 9 billing alone - (was it No 9 ?).

On a serious note, Princess Ubolratana, quite rightly was not allowed to stand. But I notice a number of Gentlemen in Military uniform on the posters - that's odd ? Maybe they should campaign in demob for a civil election ?

Derek if you see this, what No. is Viroj Pao ?

He is leader of Pheu Thai who are number 1.

He is not standing for PM probably due to his age and perhaps his ties to Thaksin.

Here's a Wiki link to the election and lists the candidates...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Thai_general_election

Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »

Alfie

• Forum Guru
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 02:40:15 PM »

^
Here's the local aspect covered in that aricle.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1641456/prayut-set-for-tour-of-provinces

According to his schedule, he will visit Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima to inspect transport projects on Wednesday. These events come three days after the PPRP holds rallies to drum up support in the two northeastern provinces.

On that morning, Gen Prayut will preside over the opening of the new Khon Kaen railway station and follow up on the development of the double-track railway project between Thanon Jira in Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen. A trial run of the service will also take place that day. In the afternoon, the prime minister will inspect construction work on a highway linking Bang Pa-in district of Ayutthaya with Nakhon Ratchasima.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Pages: [1]