Korat-Farang.com

Would you eat these

ken kenobie · 7 · 733

Offline ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
My dear wife came back from Bangkok and on her way she stopped at our local market to buy a snack. Apparently these fresh water shell things are called Hoy Chupe ( my spelling ) I think that's translated from Thai into some thing like Kissing shells because the Thais suck out the inner part of the shell using their mouth in kissing motion.

Personally I would not touch these as they could lead to a stay in hospital  ???

Any one tried these kissing shells , and if so did you survive the ordeal  ;D

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
No bl**dy way Ken.
But . . . . I am a true 'food wimp'   :(

When I eat fish, it has to be in 'fingers'  :-\
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
No bl**dy way Ken.
But . . . . I am a true 'food wimp'   :(

When I eat fish, it has to be in 'fingers'  :-\

Like my dear old dad shouted as he was being taken down to the cells , Sound judgement will keep you out of trouble  ;D

Ken
★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Reminds me of being in the UK. The other half wouldn't touch winkles (cue fond memories of my dad ordering a pint and a half for our Sunday tea - the pint for him, half for me, cooked prawns for my mum and sister).

My biggest concern about these things over here, is what they have been washed in, or even whether any washing has taken place!

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
Reminds me of being in the UK. The other half wouldn't touch winkles (cue fond memories of my dad ordering a pint and a half for our Sunday tea - the pint for him, half for me, cooked prawns for my mum and sister).

My biggest concern about these things over here, is what they have been washed in, or even whether any washing has taken place!

After arriving in Thailand for the first time I decided to follow the natives and eat the BBQ prawns and assorted meats on a stick . A stay in Bangkok Pattaya hospital attached to a drip feed changed my view about eating like the locals do , for ever. ::)

Back home in good old Blighty my dad often went to the local indoors fish market and came home with some fresh mussels wrapped in newspaper  . I fondly remember him putting the black shelled mussels into a saucepan of boiling water and I had to keep watch until the shell began opening.  Lovely cooked pink looking mussels soaked in Sarsons Vinegar .

Ken

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
I had oysters for the first time in years at Christmas. They were really fresh and perfect with a dash of Tabasco - delicious. I've also had snails in Spain (different to the farmed French variety).

Ken, ask your wife about beef tongue. Or bull's testicles and penis. Or using pig blood to make sausages. I'd be genuinely curious to hear her reply. There is a line of thought that says if you eat it, you should be prepared to watch it slaughtered. There's much to be said in favour of this: MacDonald's would have far fewer customers. And people would have respect for the food they choose to eat.

Offline ken kenobie

• KFers in Korat
I had oysters for the first time in years at Christmas. They were really fresh and perfect with a dash of Tabasco - delicious. I've also had snails in Spain (different to the farmed French variety).

Ken, ask your wife about beef tongue. Or bull's testicles and penis. Or using pig blood to make sausages. I'd be genuinely curious to hear her reply. There is a line of thought that says if you eat it, you should be prepared to watch it slaughtered. There's much to be said in favour of this: MacDonald's would have far fewer customers. And people would have respect for the food they choose to eat.

I’m all most certain that if I were a lot younger and not so set in my ways and as a child I had been brought up in a different family atmosphere where food was concerned , I would have gone down the vegetarian path . When I’m out shopping and come across animal parts on sale , I always seem to wince at seeing them  :(

If I’m in traffic and pull up behind a large truck stacked high with red plastic boxes containing live chickens on their way to be killed , I try and look away .

The wife's away at the moment , but when she returns I'm going to ask her about the beef tongue,  bull's testicles and penis. Or using pig blood to make sausages. Now I suddenly feel  queasy  :(

Ken