Korat-Farang.com

Korat Bar For Sale

ken kenobie · 15 · 947

Offline ken kenobie

• Old age is an excellent time for outrage.
  • KFers in Korat
I was looking at the web site bahtsold and came across this place for sale in Korat

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/established-and-successful-bar-and-restaurant-for-sale-317392

Any one ever visited the place ?

Ken

★ Coming soon – Ken Kenobie Forum iNET online service –The cost effective way to track and trace in real time any forum members current precise geographical location  ★ 

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Ken I think most K-F's know the G & D. I have no idea if it is up for sale currently? I recognise the little Lady in the pic from my last visit.

Do you fancy running a bar ?
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
It's the only farang run bar left in that little area. There was a time when you could do a pub crawl between a few of them.

I never liked it when it had a walled off front and I never liked it when they opened it up. Never got a welcome there so never went back.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Just to add to the above. One of the problems in that area is parking. Farangs are very spread out in Korat and there is no real centre and not much in the way of effective public transport. I used to travel from the East of the city to the Walrus, because I liked the place and it had easy parking. G&D provided none of that. I was surprised when the sports bar moved away from it's condo location as that pretty much made it a non-option for drivers as well.

But even in a city like Khon Kaen, which is smaller and has an identifiable central bar area, the numbers using it are dwindling. Maybe budgets are tighter? Great place for an English brekky though. 

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I used to occasionally go there for a breakfast, which is good value, but nowadays I find the Foodland restuarant at Terminal 21 to be just as good value.
The lady proprietor at the G&D is always usually friendly and welcoming but the same cannot always be said of the falang owner who can appear to be a little surly at times ( I am sure not intentionally so),

One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller yes the food is good. I park just around the corner but it's not always easy. Spot on - 'never got a welcome'. Me too  ::)  The Staff treat me as an inconvenience (on my occasional visits) because they are watching TV, chatting to each other, looking after kids or . . . on their phones. A Friend tells me that there's often a crowd there at weekends so maybe they are good to their 'regulars' and Jivvy - (just seen that Jivvy).

Are you interested in it Ken ?
Hopefully a new owner might give it a 'lift'.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller yes the food is good.

Sorry, bad of me, I was referring to an English brekky in Khon Kaen. When we visit, we never take the brekky option at a hotel as they invariably disappoint. Luckily, the missus uses these visits to catch up on her liking for a full English. It's funny when the food is served as I sometimes just have a toasted bacon sarnie and the other half has the big brekkie, but guess who they assume has ordered what! 

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
It's the only farang run bar left in that little area. There was a time when you could do a pub crawl between a few of them.

I agree Caller: the G&D, Sports Bar and Check Inn. I always liked the Sports Bar most (except the uncomfortable seats and the moody sod running it like a private members club).

I think the G&D has been for sale for some time: Sebastian B posted something about it many months ago. The days of having a profitable farang bar seem to be disappearing (as shown by the short-lived pool themed bar) but it isn't a uniquely Thai thing: pubs are closing at the rate of 18 per week in the UK. The G&D is in a great location for songkran-watching but it is also prone to flooding which makes fitting-out tricky. And unless you have a character like Mam running front-of-house it's difficult to get regulars. If I had the time, money, inclination and ability I think I would rather put my money into something in Khao Yai where you have consistent tourist baht to access.

Online dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy

I agree Caller: the G&D, Sports Bar and Check Inn. I always liked the Sports Bar most (except the uncomfortable seats and the moody sod running it like a private members club).

I think the G&D has been for sale for some time: Sebastian B posted something about it many months ago. The days of having a profitable farang bar seem to be disappearing (as shown by the short-lived pool themed bar) but it isn't a uniquely Thai thing: pubs are closing at the rate of 18 per week in the UK. The G&D is in a great location for songkran-watching but it is also prone to flooding which makes fitting-out tricky. And unless you have a character like Mam running front-of-house it's difficult to get regulars. If I had the time, money, inclination and ability I think I would rather put my money into something in Khao Yai where you have consistent tourist baht to access.

Which Sports Bar do you mean?

I think there were 2. One run by Briany just round the corner from the G&D and the other run by Gary in M apartments,

There was also the Sport & Cocktail which was run by Paul and later became the Walrus.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Ratsima

Just to add to the above. One of the problems in that area is parking. Farangs are very spread out in Korat and there is no real centre and not much in the way of effective public transport.

Exactly. One of the reasons I have so soured on Korat recently. There's just no place to go.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Ratsima nice to see you in an orgy of posting  ;)

Hope you are OK and weekends in Cha am sound fun.

So is it just the Check Inn and the G & D in Korat centre these days ? What about OASIS ?
I would have thought the Check Inn is OK for a meet but don't know how it's doing.

Will be up there 19th - 21st for Swatcat duties  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:25:24 PM by Roger »

Ratsima

When I first moved here in 2005 my wife and I used to go into town all the time for drinks and dining. But then the traffic and parking got so bad that we just gave up. When we do go out we rarely venture more than a couple of kilometers from home. I haven't been to a bar in Korat for years. I used to enjoy places like Pasinee, the Irish Bar, PB, Eddie Vegas, The Walrus. etc. Heck, I even used to cycle up to the George and Dragon when it first opened not far from where it is now. But, cycle into town in the evening these days? I'm not that crazy. So, I have no idea what bars are around. All I know is that there are none in my neck of the woods. So, I do all my drinking at home!

Aside: As for the flurry of posting; I felt bad that this forum has so little activity lately. I thought I'd try and provoke some discussion. But, I'm really not cut out for any sort of social media. I don't mind the media part, but the social part tends to get me down.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Is 'The Tiger is coming' still going strong? 300 beers from around the World listed by continent / country, but not an everyday place to go for a beer because of cost, but on my last 2 stays in town, that's where I headed.

Offline waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
To new owner of bar ,
If you want a new employee who can speak English , I will apply  ;D
Long live to long learn

Ratsima

I think the old Irish Bar could make money in the right hands. (Definitely not mine.) it’s got a proper bar to which an old man like me can belly up for a quiet pint. Parking is usually OK. It’s right next to the Sima Thani hotel. It has a very pub-like atmosphere. There’s a full kitchen upstairs. And, most important of all, it’s within reasonable cycling distance of my home.