Korat-Farang.com

PC sins - who decides ?

Roger · 50 · 2503

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
 Pathetic BBC  >:(   Folks are easily offended these days - particularly when it suits an agenda . .

"Steve Thompson, 65, used the phrase 'handbags' to describe a scuffle in a match
    The incident occurred during Lincoln's goalless draw last week at Accrington
    The BBC say the 'handbags' comment 'did not meet the standards we expect'
    Thompson is said to be 'devastated' about a decision which has left fans shocked
"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8995845/Steve-Thompson-dropped-BBC-year-referring-tussle-handbags.html
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Millwall Fans booing some Players 'taking the knee' at kick off, (after the Ref has whistled to start the game).

https://twitter.com/i/status/1335244473069088774

Maybe I wouldn't have booed but FWIW I disapprove 100%. Time to move on from this IMO.

All Lives Matter.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Thaiwolf

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Only time will tell but I believe that the Black Lives Matter movement will cause and incite massive racial tension in the coming months and years ahead. Time to knock it on the head in my opinion - including taking a knee - we have all heard the issues and will try to improve our actions.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
'Black' people are black, 'coloured' people are coloured - well said John Barnes and well done for a refreshing and realistic comment :-

"Barnes, himself a victim of shocking ­racist abuse while a player and now a prominent commentator on discrimination within society, responded to the outcry over the incident by posting images of the Basaksehir coaching staff on ­Twitter and writing: “Its [sic] NOT racist to describe the offender as the black one! We are telling people to call us black … he doesn’t know his name, there are 6/7 coaches standing together all Turkish … 1 is to be sent off, the ref says which one THE BLACK ONE what else can he say to let the ref know? Why can’t you describe a black man as being a black man?

Barnes stood by his remarks, even after being challenged over whether a white coach would be described in similar terms. His view was echoed by Benfica manager Jorge Jesus, who also branded ­racism storms “very fashionable” . . . . "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/12/09/not-racist-describe-someone-black-says-john-barnes/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
According to dictionary.com, 'Negrito' is 'a member of any of various Indigenous peoples of Africa, the Philippines, the Malay Peninsula, the Andaman Islands, and southern India'. Cavani reportedly knew it as 'little black friend'. How is that abusive ? Originally I wondered if Negrito was a synonym for Nigger, (which I would think abusive).

"Edinson Cavani has been hit with a three-match ban and £100,000 fine after the Manchester United striker used the word 'negrito' in a social media post. Cavani sent the message to a friend after his match-winning performance against Southampton last month, but the FA decided it was discriminatory in nature and charged him with misconduct."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9102391/Man-United-striker-Edinson-Cavani-handed-three-match-ban-FA.html

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Apparently Anders Herrera's comment on the Cavani matter is, 'the World has gone to sh*t'. More from Gary Lineker and this from Piers Morgan - "Cavani has been banned for using a term to a friend that's considered inoffensive in his own country. No racist intent, no offence felt by recipient. Dumb overreaction by the FA. A quiet word about language sensitivities would have sufficed".

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/gary-lineker-praises-manchester-united-and-edinson-cavanis-response-to-ban/

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
"Viewers slam BBC for 'forcing politics' into 'woke' New Year's Eve light display".

"The inclusion of a Black Lives Matter fist, the EU colours and a turtle with Africa on its shell were ridiculed by some social media users who called the show disgraceful". Some Brits weren't too happy about the New Year's Eve light display above London. The BBC has been blasted by angry viewers who say the broadcaster was "forcing politics" into its New Year's Eve light show. With London's traditional fireworks display called off due to the coronavirus pandemic, Brits were forced to ring in 2021 watching the display from home. Hundreds of programmed drones formed different shapes in the night sky to illustrate the tumultuous events of 2020.

But some were unhappy with the things the BBC, which produced the show, chose to emphasise. The opening lights on the Thames bridges were blue and yellow, the colours of the European Union which the UK has just formally split from. A bird above the O2 Arena, symbolising the emergency NHS Nightingale hospitals hastily built to grapple with Covid-19 cases, also appeared in blue and yellow.

A clenched fist symbolising Black Lives Matter proved especially divisive among social media users, some of whom felt the political movement had no place in a national year-end display. The fist appeared while spoken-word artist George the Poet read an extract of his poem Coronavirus: The Power of Collaboration."The future holds unexposed danger, but no stress," he read. "Humankind is no stranger to progress. And as we have proven, when we collaborate, progress follows fast."

Also included was a turtle with the shape of Africa on its shell, which materialised while Sir David Attenborough said: "Happy New Year. Our planet is unique. A living world of diversity and wonder. It's also fragile. "With a new year comes the opportunity for change. And if we act, in 2021 we can make a world of difference. "Together, we can turn things around. Together, we can restore our fragile home and make it a happy new year for all the inhabitants of Planet Earth."

The show was signed off by Mayor Sadiq Khan, who proudly tweeted: "Our New Year's Eve show just sent a loud, proud message to the world: London stands together against racism - tonight and always."

But some weren't so pleased by the show, with one Twitter user saying: "Can't believe the London firework display. BLM, all about change, new ways... never seen so much politicized bulls***." Another posted: "Anyone else disgusted by the Woke BLM XR NHS overt political broadcast commentary over London New Year fireworks on the BBC??" Others called the display "disgraceful" and "disgusting"."Unfortunately, the London firework show, usually one of the best went too political. In fact, it made me feel creepy. It felt like an indoctrination," one said.

Some Twitter users were even convinced the show was designed to promote an "anti-white" or "black supremacist" agenda, a far-fetched claim for which there is little evidence. However many others seemed to enjoy the show, saying it made them emotional and proud to be British, particularly the tribute to the NHS which saw the logo appear in a huge heart.

The appearance of an enormous Captain Tom Moore in the sky was also the target of much ridicule. "Just a fundamentally sordid country," one Twitter user remarked at the centenarian's role in the show. "Is England ok," another asked
."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/viewers-slam-bbc-forcing-politics-23247252

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
BBC feeding on it's own nonsense . . . .

"The BBC has added a warning of 'discriminatory language' to the 1971 movie of Dad's Army. The film, a feature-length version of the classic TV sitcom, is currently streaming on iPlayer, with the listing of the movie warning that it 'contains discriminatory language which some may find offensive'. Particular offence comes from a reference to the French as 'frogs' during a training exercise, while Clive Dunn's Lance-Corporal Jones refers to soldiers he fought in Sudan as 'fuzzy wuzzies'."

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/bbc-discriminatory-language-warning-dads-army-movie-123115951.html

Offline Hector

• Golfers in Korat
And so it continues.......
"Coon" Cheese is to be rebranded in Australia to "Cheer" after a campaign by activists against the word's racist connotations. The cheese got its original name from American pioneering cheese maker Edward William Coon who patented a ripening process in the 1920s. 
"Redskins" and "Chicos" lollies will be changed to "Red Ripper" and "Cheekies", saying the original names were now "out of step" with the company's (Nestle)values.
"Darlie" toothpaste was first introduced under the name “Darkie” and featured the logo of a smiling white man in blackface.  In 1989 the company (Colgate) changed the brand name from “Darkie” to “Darlie” under the pressure of some shareholders and US church groups and redesigned the logo to feature a racially ambiguous man in a top hat and tuxedo.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
And so it continues.......
"Coon" Cheese is to be rebranded in Australia to "Cheer" after a campaign by activists against the word's racist connotations. The cheese got its original name from American pioneering cheese maker Edward William Coon who patented a ripening process in the 1920s. 
"Redskins" and "Chicos" lollies will be changed to "Red Ripper" and "Cheekies", saying the original names were now "out of step" with the company's (Nestle)values.
"Darlie" toothpaste was first introduced under the name “Darkie” and featured the logo of a smiling white man in blackface.  In 1989 the company (Colgate) changed the brand name from “Darkie” to “Darlie” under the pressure of some shareholders and US church groups and redesigned the logo to feature a racially ambiguous man in a top hat and tuxedo.

Poor Mr Coon!

I looked up Chico as I didn't know what it was meant to represent as all I can find is a slang name for a Spanish boy or kid. Do the Aussies use the term for Chinese?

I agree about changing the name of the toothpaste, I was truly taken aback when I frst saw that, in the same was I was when In Oz and watching Australia v Pakistan on aussie TV and the Pakistan team being referred to all the time as 'the pakistanis' by the commentators.