KLANG PLAZA 2 CLOSING END OF APRIL

nookiebear · 17 · 792

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Nookie it seems no one knows - which might explain why Klang 2 could be closing ?

I think another Klang Plaza was under way and abandoned a few years ago.

Too many 'Malls' in Korat IMO  8)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
Nookie it seems no one knows - which might explain why Klang 2 could be closing ?

I think another Klang Plaza was under way and abandoned a few years ago.

The other Klang was called Klang Station but they run out of money so never completed.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I can remember the owner of Klang Plaza saying that he was not worried about the likes of Central and Terminal 21 opening in Korat because he felt that there's enough room for ten shopping malls in Korat. I wonder if he still thinks the same.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
And there is still the new Robinsons to be opened??
Was in T21 yesterday 11-00 am ,so bloody quiet!!
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Offline KiwiCanadian

T21 was not so bad a 16:30 yesterday
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Still no one knows if Klang Plaza 2 is to close . . . . ?
I wouldn't be surprised if it did but  ::)

Same same problem in the UK  ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/20/great-place-to-live-hipster-cathedrals

Shopping Malls  :o
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
So I wonder, did Klang Plaza 2 close at the end of April ?

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I heard this today is it true??

The rumour is out about Klang Plaza 2, but none knows when. For sure it is struggling and already reduced much of the shopping surface.

What did close towards the end of last month was the Tops supermarket small branch inside Save One. Premises currently empty (I passed by today).

Another supermarket I expect to be shutting down any day is the so-called "Tesco Lotus West", i.e. the small branch (but bigger than a Tesco Lotus Express) located in Suebsiri area: I find it almost totally deserted each time I enter since after opening of the new Big C not so far away, while Tesco Lotus' hateful management ways aren't helping attracting customers in there, either. They shut down the cooking corner since a long time (no more ready-made food of any kind), they emptied a whole raw of freezers, downsized the fresh food sections, etc.

The main Tesco-Lotus supermarket on Mitthapap isn't doing much better anyway, as it keeps rolling down the descending path. Among other general misbehaviour, tonight in the bakery department they were trying to sell out already expired sliced bread without informing people about it (not everybody is sceptical enough to check each single item with his own eyes), and not at a symbolic price. More and more often I see expired products on sale in a deceptive way at the main Tesco Lotus on Mitthapap: for example, mixed up with other identical products that are only approaching expiry date, thus discounted for example a tiny 20%. They clearly try cheating people on purpose over there, behaving like the pettiest of street vendors. Surely the staff is being trained to do so. Not to mention about waiting lines at the cashiers all the time, being by far the worst service in the whole city; and so on and so on... Alas, what an awful supermarket it has turned into over the years.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
What did close towards the end of last month was the Tops supermarket small branch inside Save One. Premises currently empty (I passed by today).

It seems that WishCO Wholesale will take over by opening their own small branch in those premises. Announced 1 hour ago on this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KoratForumSkyscrapercity/

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I can remember the owner of Klang Plaza saying that he was not worried about the likes of Central and Terminal 21 opening in Korat because he felt that there's enough room for ten shopping malls in Korat.

It seems that even The Mall Korat is paying its share of the toll. Today I took a walk in The Mall's new wing. My last visit on all 3 floors of the new wing was over a year ago, "Uniqlo" being the only store I ever cared about in there. Surprise: I never expected meeting so many vacant shops on all 3 levels! I took photos... Please note that, although they may look alike, each photo below shows a different vacant shop or row of vacant shops. All photos were taken today, Saturday. One sign on level 2 announces the opening of a "Discount outlet", does anybody know what it is going to be?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I can remember the owner of Klang Plaza saying that he was not worried about the likes of Central and Terminal 21 opening in Korat because he felt that there's enough room for ten shopping malls in Korat.

It seems that even The Mall Korat is paying its share of the toll. Today I took a walk in The Mall's new wing. My last visit on all 3 floors of the new wing was over a year ago, "Uniqlo" being the only store I ever cared about in there. Surprise: I never expected meeting so many vacant shops on all 3 levels! I took photos... Please note that, although they may look alike, each photo below shows a different vacant shop or row of vacant shops. All photos were taken today, Saturday. One sign on level 2 announces the opening of a "Discount outlet", does anybody know what it is going to be?

Some of those restaurants have been closed since February and I posted about their closure in the Front of the Mall thread in April. 

I went to the Mall yesterday and I really liked the new wing. So much more choice of eating places and coffee shops. Too many now? I think some businesses will struggle to survive, and I think, at least initially, the shops in the old areas will lose out.

I was at the Mall a couple of months ago and ventured into the new wing again. Despite my post above, I was surprised to see so many restaurants closed. Ten were closed. I think more were closed than open. Some were clearly closed for good, some were closed but no notice was posted to say why, and some were closed with signs saying 'closed for refurbishment. However, in Thailand, shops that post signs saying 'Closed for refurbishment' often don't actually ever open again.

Ones I can remember closed:

Cheese Me
Let's chick
Ruway Sep (gway tiaw)
Kim Kun
Tama Yakiniku
Baan Ya
Sushi Hiro
Mae Il annyeong Everyday Eatery

So what's the real story? Are they still closed?

The ones I remember seeing closed that are in your photos are: Cheese Me, Ruway Sep (gway tiaw), [unknown name] , Let's chick, and Kim Kun.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Some of those restaurants have been closed since February and I posted about their closure in the Front of the Mall thread in April. 

Sorry I didn't notice that. As I wrote, I didn't visit new wing's upper floors for over 1 year, so to me it was a surprise. It's not only restaurants, but all of those shops on second floor, plus a few on first floor. The point being that they are all suffering now, not just Klang Plaza.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I think the Thai economy is suffering, which means many will be reining in their spending.

On saying that, I recall when the new wing of the Mall opened and looking at all the restaurants on the 3rd floor and in particular the amount of Japanese and Korean places and wondering if in the long term, there really was the custom to support them and it appears not.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I recall when the new wing of the Mall opened and looking at all the restaurants on the 3rd floor and in particular the amount of Japanese and Korean places and wondering if in the long term, there really was the custom to support them and it appears not.

Looking at the restaurants coming soon (from Anton's photo), some of them will be Japanese and Korean!

Here's what I can make out in the photo.

Miyazaki: Japanese
Tohkai: Japanese
Kofuku: Japanese
Tudari: Korean

Tammour: Isaan food
Santa Fe: Steak
เน้นเนื้อ: Noodles and noodle soup
And a sea food restaurant.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I thought Santa Fe were already there?
Yes, you are correct. Have eaten there a few times
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates