Korat-Farang.com

QR Code Cashless Payment: Do you use it?

Guest · 13 · 470

Ratsima

I use QR Code payment whenever available. My wife teases me that I'm surely the only one who bothers. And, frankly, I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use it. I find it to be convenient because it lessens the need to carry cash. I also use it in deference to those vendors who look at a 1000 baht bill as if it were a piece of soiled tissue.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I always use cash in Thailand. I have seen quite a few Thai people using some form of electronic payment system on their phones (there seems to be a few different kinds/apps) and it seems to take much longer to pay for things that way. Often, the reader doesn't recognise the QR code on their phones or there's some other issue with the transaction. Just stick to cash. It's much easier. I will for sure.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Ratsima

I’ve been using QR Code payment and ATM withdrawal several times a week for a year or so. I’ve never experienced any problems with it. Sometimes it can be slow if the customer and/or clerk is unfamiliar with the procedure. But, it takes time for people to get used to new things. This won’t happen if people simply refuse to use them.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hi Rats - well old dogs and new tricks as you say AND I don't have a SMARTPHONE  :o

Thanks but I'm a hopeless case   8)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

Well, I really was wondering why I don’t see more people using it. Lack of a smartphone is certainly a good reason.

I find fault with the way Thailand does many things. But, both Prompt Pay and QR Code payment display a bit of brilliance. They are easy, cheap and trivial to set up. Unfortunately, none of that does much to overcome human inertia.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Ratsima

Ahem, what is prompt pay?

Prompt Pay is a payment system by which individuals can easily send money back and forth between bank accounts. So, I can send money to my wife using Prompt Pay to her phone number or by scanning her QR Code. I don’t need to know her bank account details.

A merchant who wants to accept QR Code payment without having to buy a special terminal can simply post a print out of their Prompt Pay QR Code at their business. Customers can pay by scanning the code. Payment is instant and instantly verifiable.

Compare with a system like Apple Pay (or Android or Samsung Pay) which requires the customer to have an expensive phone with an RFID chip and the merchant to have an NFC enabled terminal. Yes, it’s slick and very fast and requires no action on the part of either party. But it’s expensive and not so easy to set up. It’s a first world toy. (And, yes, I have Apple Pay which I’ve used in various countries.)

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Interesting - thanks. I need to speak to my other half (working in Bkk), she is always using her phone to pay for things.

Ratsima

It turns out to be enormously convenient once you get the hang of it. I really dislike having to collect small bank notes to accommodate vendors who recoil at the sight of a 500 baht note. The more I can pay using QR Code the fewer 20 baht bills I have to stuff in my wallet. And, when I do need cash, making a cardless withdrawal from an ATM is a real plus.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Ratsima no doubt it's OK but I'd wonder about security aspects - I like to keep banking matters in as close a loop as possible.
BTW I still have a cheque book  8)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

This has been going on for three years now without any reports of a security breach. None of your payees  ever knows your account number or has access to your plastic card or its number. No chance of ATM skimming or PIN theft. No chance of check forging or alteration.

I haven’t written a check since last century.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
OK M8 - you can call me 'luddite'  ATB

Ratsima

;D — I understand. I’ve always been an early adopter of technological change. I have an insatiable curiosity about how things work, why things are the way they are and how they got this way. I find that very few people share that curiosity; especially among expats in Thailand.