Korat-Farang.com

Morning Coffee

Guest · 22 · 580

De Beweerder, Hector and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ratsima

As there are no decent bars within cycling distance of my home, my get-out-of-the-house time generally consists of morning coffee. For at least the last decade I have been going out for morning coffee five or six days a week. When I started this there were only a few places, but now there are many within ten or fifteen minutes of where I live. I generally limit my visits to places where I really like the coffee or which have a pleasant atmosphere for reading the Bangkok Post. I read the Post from cover to cover every day.

Oddly, I almost never run in to fellow farang on these outings. Where do they all go for morning coffee? The Mall?

One place that has coffee I really like and a nice atmosphere is Café Ama. This is located near the intersection of Mittraphap and Liap Nakhon, not far from the Sema Thani hotel. It is housed in a beautiful old wooden building with a pleasant adjoining garden and many interesting artifacts. They serve Dao coffee from Lao which I enjoy very much. I used to drink their cappuccino, but then I discovered their Lao Coffee which is basically a flat white.

Here are a few recent photos from Café Ama.

The garden

Outdoor seating

Lao Coffe
Google Maps: Café Ama

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures
I like coffee at home in the morning. I usually walk the dogs first thing then make breakfast and coffee. Turn on the big screen and watch the evening news from the states on my Sling TV app. Then I watch the Yankee baseball game on my MLB app. Do my computer work at the same time.

Ratsima

I like coffee at home in the morning. I usually walk the dogs first thing then make breakfast and coffee. Turn on the big screen and watch the evening news from the states on my Sling TV app. Then I watch the Yankee baseball game on my MLB app. Do my computer work at the same time.

I get up at about 4:30 and have a cup with my wife at 5:00. We have another cup with breakfast about 8:00. By 10:00 I've finished everything I want to do at home (gardening, reading the oneline news, etc.), so I head out to read the paper over another cup. I'd go even more nuts if I stayed home all morning.

I really hate spending all my time at home alone. So, if I go out for coffee at a nice coffee shop with other customers I fell less alone than I would if I stayed home; even though I never end up talking to anyone but the clerk at the counter.

Pitiful, eh?

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Slightly off-topic, but have you ever come across a source for Thai coffee? I know coffee is grown in Thailand but I am not sure of the quality (although much depends on the roasting).

Great pictures of the coffee place. That is exactly the type of place I like. Perhaps you should have a word with the owner and see if they might be interested in having a bar in the evening? Perhaps a craft beer place? I know nothing about the licencing requirements, but given it would be catering for a small clientele it doesn't seem an expensive prospect, and it would not need to be a late-night place.

Ratsima

Slightly off-topic, but have you ever come across a source for Thai coffee? I know coffee is grown in Thailand but I am not sure of the quality (although much depends on the roasting).

I order my Thai coffee beans from this place. It's about 600 baht per kilo. I like the Strong Roast. It's very good.

Akha Ama Coffee

Great pictures of the coffee place. That is exactly the type of place I like. Perhaps you should have a word with the owner and see if they might be interested in having a bar in the evening? Perhaps a craft beer place? I know nothing about the licencing requirements, but given it would be catering for a small clientele it doesn't seem an expensive prospect, and it would not need to be a late-night place.

This guy is a devout Christian. Reads the Bible all day. Closed on Sunday. I don't thin he'd be amenable to opening a bar.

Ratsima

Another place I like to visit is Class Cafe at their Ratchasima branch which is on Mittraphap next to Wat Ratchasima and across from Ratchasima School. The space here is huge and very industrial. It also houses the Class pastry kitchen and coffee roaster. They seem to source their beans from many places, including Thailand. They blend and roast their own. I like the coffee very much. I usually order a cappuccino or Americano. They have blazingly fast WiFi and plenty of outlets, including USB ports, for charging or powering your device. My only quibble with the place is that they constantly play, albeit quietly, this industrial techno music which I find to be annoying. It seems like they play the same track over and over and over again. I always take my AirPods so I can listen to music more to my liking.

They have a nice selection of baked goods which are very nice. However, I rarely indulge these days in an attempt to keep my weight right around 77 kilos. It's not easy.

Class has many branches in and around Korat. I've only visited a few, but find the service and quality of coffee to be very consistent.

Coffee Roaster

Google Maps: Class Cafe Ratchasima

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
    • Rokits Pictures

I buy this Thai coffee at Home Fresh at The Mall. Works well in my drip coffee maker and taste great.

Ratsima

Yim Wan House is on Mittraphap near Sam Yak Pak and across from Sampeng. The coffee is good, it's a pleasant place to sit and has good music and decent WiFi. One of the most interesting things about Yim Wan is the number of photographers who show up. There are often groups of students and other young people with high-end cameras taking photos inside and outside in the pleasant garden.

Yim Wan has an extensive food menu with both Thai and Western dishes. It's all good. My wife and I frequently dine there on the weekends.

Google Maps: Yim Wan House

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thank you for the information. You didn't tell us if coffee is served well hot in the places you are showing.

has good music

Aside the fact that definition of "good music" is subjective, in my personal opinion coffee shops, restaurants and the alike shouldn't have any music at all. Personally, one of the main features I seek when sitting in a coffee shop or restaurant is quietness, nothing bothers me more than being imposed music chosen by others, especially at too high a volume as is always the case around here.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Ratsima

Thank you for the information. You didn't tell us if coffee is served well hot in the places you are showing.

Hot: Cafe Ama, Yim Wan

Not so hot: Class Cafe

I used to be the sort of guy who insisted on hot coffee. I now find that it actually tastes better if it's not so hot. So, if I'm served really hot coffee I now let it cool down before I drink it. When I make coffee at home I wait until the water is off-boil before I brew. Just a matter of personal preference.

Aside the fact that definition of "good music" is subjective, in my personal opinion coffee shops, restaurants and the alike shouldn't have any music at all. Personally, one of the main features I seek when sitting in a coffee shop or restaurant is quietness, nothing bothers me more than being imposed music chosen by others, especially at too high a volume as is always the case around here.

You're right. I should have said "music that I like" instead of "good". None of the places I've mentioned so far play music very loud. Cafe Ama doesn't play music at all. Class Cafe plays that techno music that I don't like, but it's not obtrusively loud. At Yim Wan the music is very much in the background. It's so quiet that I have a hard time getting my iPhone to identify the track in case I want to explore the artist a bit.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I now find that it actually tastes better if it's not so hot

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of having the time to sip it little by little. If served lukewarm, you are obliged to gulp it down quickly. The hotter it is served, the more time you have to enjoy it...  ;D

Cafe Ama doesn't play music at all

Hot coffee and no music at all: it matches my main requirements. I know that place well, it has been there for many years. The location is not ideal for me, but I may give it a try soon. I'm curious to taste Dao coffee, too: it sells rather expensive in supermarkets considering that it is imported from Laos. Hope it is better than some Vietnamese products I tasted.

At Yim Wan the music is very much in the background. It's so quiet that I have a hard time getting my iPhone to identify the track in case I want to explore the artist a bit.

If there must be music, that's how it should be.

Ratsima

It's not a matter of taste, it's a matter of having the time to sip it little by little. If served lukewarm, you are obliged to gulp it down quickly. The hotter it is served, the more time you have to enjoy it...  ;D

I used to think that way, but I don't anymore. For me, the higher temperatures mask the subtle flavors in coffee. It tastes best to me at around 65-70ºC. Heck, I even like it when it's stone cold.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
It tastes best to me at around 65-70ºC

That's why you need it served hotter than that.

Ratsima

Boon Boon 720 Café is on Mukkamontri Road a few hundred meters west of Wat Sri Sala Leung and not far from the entrance to Homeland 3.

The coffee here is really good, which is why I keep going back. Trouble is, it's often closed when it's supposed to be open. The barista makes a killer Americano with a lovely, long-lasting crema (foam). The Americano is served quite hot.

They also have an interesting selection of snacks and seem to specialize in brownies. Recently I had a คีโต บราวนี่ (keto brownie - no flour, no sugar) that was delicious.

Boon Boon has a very nice interior with lots of stuff to grab your attention. They don't always play music. When they do, it's very quiet.

Google Maps: Boon Boon 720 Café

Ratsima

Once a week I try to do a longish bicycle ride of about 35K. I usually head out to the small villages and rice fields northwest of where I live. I pass through villages like Ban Thung Kradon, Phutsa, Si Mum and Kham Talay Soh. I usually stop for a coffee break at Kham Soh Coffee which is on Highway 2068 just north of the Kham Talay Soh district office.

The cappuccino is fine for me and only costs 40 baht, so a bargain. They also do cakes and Thai food dishes. The coffee is hot and the music, which depends on the whim of the barista who selects it, has always been OK with me.

They have outdoor seating. But, after cycling 20K I'm ready for air con and a big glass of ice water along with the cappuccino. 

Google Maps: Kham Soh Coffee
Photos from a cycling trip to Wat Kham Talay Soh

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
My 28 km ride includes a break at 'Nattawut' Laem Sing, for a large iced coffee or green tea at B40 or yesterday, on the beach front in a bamboo shelter - an excellent iced coffee just B20  8)

I should add that an iced 'black' coffee is B15 - and very nice too.

Those coffee shops pics - great places for a break !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Ratsima

My 28 km ride includes a break at 'Nattawut' Laem Sing, for a large iced coffee or green tea at B40 or yesterday, on the beach front in a bamboo shelter - an excellent iced coffee just B20  8)

When I'm at my condo in Cha Am I always to find find a good spot for a cycling coffee break.

This is at the Bang Kwai (AKA Sai Yoi) fishing village about five kilometers south of Cha Am.

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
This is a really good thread: thanks for the pictures and info Mike.

Ratsima

Bari Tea Kavarna recently opened in the Tan Wari compound and is run by Tan Wari's daughter. It is a few hundred meters west of Wat Sri Sala Leung on Mukkamontri and next to the Big C Mini in Tambon Banmai.

I like the coffee. It's only 40 baht. The atmosphere is pleasant. It has outdoor seating. There is an extensive food menu. Portions are huge. I've only had Thai dishes, but I saw the pork steak ordered by another customer and it looked delicious.

Google Maps: Bari Tea Kavarna

Ratsima

Sa-On Café is a very new coffee shop on Mukkamontri across from Wat Suan Prik Thai. The name, written in Thai is สะออน, which Isaan dialect meaning pleased or satisfied.

I've only been here a couple of times, so I'm not well qualified to comment on their offerings. I like the cappuccino just fine. We had a cake from there once that was good, but not great. The interior is spacious and pleasant. Twice the owner has asked me what sort of music I'd like, so I guess that's up to you.

Google Maps: Sa-On Café