Korat-Farang.com

London Knife Crime

Hector · 5 · 173

Offline Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Just to get away from Brexit for a moment, I see today in the UK press that knife murders in London have reached 100 so far this year, the victims ranging in age from 5 days (!) to 89 years old.   The total last year was 135.  It is also reported that, although this number of knife murders is high by any standards, the rate related to population numbers in Leicester, Manchester and Birmingham is actually higher.  The London Mayor Sadiq Khan - Donald Trump's darts board pin-up boy - is receiving many calls to resign and it is easy to understand why.
The UK seems to be in the throes of a knife crime epidemic.  Why is this?  Is it to do with largely uncontrolled mass immigration over the years, the reduction in police on the beat or at least in evidence on the streets, a lack of parental control or what?

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hi Hector.

1. Immigration without integration.
2. Police filling in forms and doing PC (politically correct) duties instead of PC (Police Constable) duties.
3. Lack of Parental Control
4. Casual extreme violence in entertainment - movies.
5. Casual extreme violence in computer games
6. Prevalence of social media and the casual bullying, unpleasantness and disrespect that it breeds.
7. Less stable Family units.
8. Reducing influence of religions particularly Christianity.
9. Growing 'Inequality' in society.
10. Austerity
11. Excessive materialism.
12. Poor diets.
13. Alarming ingress of drug culture at all levels.
14. Cheap alcohol in Supermarkets.
15. House prices - so high that the stabilising effect of the ambition of ownership is lost.
16. Excessive bureaucracy and the European Union . . .

That was fun !  Re.No 16 - just joking. ATB

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Hi Hector.

1. Immigration without integration.
2. Police filling in forms and doing PC (politically correct) duties instead of PC (Police Constable) duties.
3. Lack of Parental Control
4. Casual extreme violence in entertainment - movies.
5. Casual extreme violence in computer games
6. Prevalence of social media and the casual bullying, unpleasantness and disrespect that it breeds.
7. Less stable Family units.
8. Reducing influence of religions particularly Christianity.
9. Growing 'Inequality' in society.
10. Austerity
11. Excessive materialism.
12. Poor diets.
13. Alarming ingress of drug culture at all levels.
14. Cheap alcohol in Supermarkets.
15. House prices - so high that the stabilising effect of the ambition of ownership is lost.
16. Excessive bureaucracy and the European Union . . .

That was fun !  Re.No 16 - just joking. ATB

Actually, there are only a few points there that I agree with. Estates have in many areas become ghetto's. This is the fault of housing policy. There is a tipping point when so many of the original tenants have moved out, to be replaced by families in need, often immigrants, that the whole culture of an estate changes and those that are from the original intake, often originally, extended families, will do all they can to get off. So then you are left with an assortment of peoples, many who have no concept or understanding of urban living, yet alone having the ability to manage a home in the way we would expect i.e. not sticking to filthy floors as you walk through and even a modicum of effort at cleanliness and all the other responsibilities that go with it. Add in a mix of deprivation, alcoholism, drugs, absentee fathers, breakdown of family units and the kids grow up in a vacuum. Add to that 'yoof rights', lack of police stop and search and the gangs move in to provide, believe it or not, some order.

If housing policy hadn't been used to house immigrants over and above anything else and some long term planning had been applied then the extreme nature of the problem might have been avoided.

And in London, the Met are partly to blame, for not managing their intakes better so that for a few years around 2003/4, they didn't find they were suddenly losing all their experienced officers to retirement, many of whom didn't want to leave. Eventually many were employed as paper shufflers in a civilian role to free up the real coppers from the burdensome nonsense of all the new laws. I may have said this before, but in late 2006, early 2007, I met with the local Police borough command to seek the secondment of an experienced DC to the the team I managed in local Govt. There were none to be had. I was told they were meant to have a total DC establishment of 55. They had 11. This for one of London's largest Boroughs. As the DCI said, they had some very serious crimes being investigated by some very inexperienced PC's.

The design and ambience of some of these estates don't help either, the old 50's vision of high rise estates. walk ways in the sky and so on, was a disaster and too many of these places still exist.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:47:24 PM by caller »

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller thank you and post recommended - MOST interesting  :)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
If you look behind the statistics it seems much of the knife crime is drug and gang related. And part of this is that gangs are prepared to use younger and younger kids who have fractured families and poor home environments. Roger, taking your points, I distil from them that we are seeing the effects of a breakdown in the traditional glue and values that held society together: respect and morality are alien concepts to large chunks of modern society. "County lines" crime is a perfect example: tinyurl.com/y2bxc8go