Korat-Farang.com

uk expats frozen pension

mango · 12 · 856

Offline mango

are there any uk expats that have been back to uk and got there pension increased.i would like your advice please.my  email is nonngratum@gmail.com thank you.

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
are there any uk expats that have been back to uk and got there pension increased.i would like your advice please.my  email is nonngratum@gmail.com thank you.

If you return to the UK your pension will be increased to what it would be if you lived there.

However if you return to Thailand it will be reduced to what you were previously getting when you left Thailand.
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Derek. I'm sure you are right about that. I wonder what happens if having 'unfrozen' your Pension status somehow, you do not advise Pension Services of your return to Thailand. I wonder how they would track that ?

I'm sure it's been done, whatever the rights and wrongs of it. Me I'm frozen and will remain so but I feel quite angry about it.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy
Derek. I'm sure you are right about that. I wonder what happens if having 'unfrozen' your Pension status somehow, you do not advise Pension Services of your return to Thailand. I wonder how they would track that ?

I'm sure it's been done, whatever the rights and wrongs of it. Me I'm frozen and will remain so but I feel quite angry about it.

I'm frozen too and do not understand why Thailand is frozen when many other countries in Asia are not.

Here is a list of frozen and unfrozen countries.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/frozenindexed.htm

Roger I am sure HMRC/ Pension service know your whereabouts and pay you accordingly.

If you cheat  HMRC/ Pension service and are caught you will be fined and lose your pension until the fine is paid.

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Yes Derek I'm still paying HMRC and also Pensions know where I am, (but only I suspect, because I told them). I doubt they are well coordinated enough to track you in detail. As for 'cheating' - WE are the ones being cheated but the Law is the Law. 

Thanks for that interesting link.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

If you cheat  HMRC/ Pension service and are caught you will be fined and lose your pension until the fine is paid.

When was this change introduced? They used to have no right to stop your pension. But if caught committing fraud, they can recover from your ongoing pension until the amount has been repaid and lay claim to your estate after your death, if still owing. The amount deducted was more than that permitted for a genuine mistake. Pensioners returning to the UK have been known to have been arrested and some jailed after conviction for fraud.

Roger. All they have  to do s a credit rating check. That will identify all bank accounts, addresses and so on. That will lead to the discovery of money being sent to Thailand, cards not being used in the UK etc. Easy peasy.

Offline dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
  • My pride and joy boy

When was this change introduced? They used to have no right to stop your pension. But if caught committing fraud, they can recover from your ongoing pension until the amount has been repaid and lay claim to your estate after your death, if still owing. The amount deducted was more than that permitted for a genuine mistake. Pensioners returning to the UK have been known to have been arrested and some jailed after conviction for fraud.

Roger. All they have  to do s a credit rating check. That will identify all bank accounts, addresses and so on. That will lead to the discovery of money being sent to Thailand, cards not being used in the UK etc. Easy peasy.

My bad wording  caller I should have said...

If you cheat  HMRC/ Pension service and are caught you will be fined and lose part of your pension until the fine is paid off

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller - thanks - live and learn  ;)  I had no idea that credit check could reveal so much  8) 

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller - thanks - live and learn  ;)  I had no idea that credit check could reveal so much  8)

Derek - thanks for clarifying that. I don't really keep up to date but that change would have been so significant, that I sent an email to an old colleague and they confirmed what you have said.

Roger. The credit rating check will identify bank accounts and so on. It will also show registered addresses and all sorts of other data - loans, mortgages, CCJ's and so on.. The details of how an account is used will come directly from the banks identified in the credit rating check. Generally in the form of copy of statements for the period requested.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
This clear UK injustice persists - the Guardian pick up on a shocking example :-

"There aren’t many people left alive on this planet who can, like London-born Robert Haley, talk about how he joined the Royal Navy at 17 in 1942 and saw almost four years’ active service during the second world war. He was one of thousands of seamen who risked their lives in the Arctic convoys to Russia between 1941 and 1945.

Haley, now 94, earned a lapel full of medals – so why, say campaigners, has the UK government penalised him by freezing his state pension for almost 30 years? That has left him up to £4,200 out of pocket this year alone. All told, he has been deprived of as much as £62,000 since he turned 65 – money that could have transformed his retirement years
."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/14/frozen-pensions-australia

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
"Haley has effectively been “punished” for moving to Australia."

As if moving to Australia wasn't punishment enough!

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
All we can do is to hope that individual stories like this will prompt yet another bid to have this iniquitous piece of Government dis-service to their pensioners overturned.  But don't hold your breath.  It has been tried so often already.  All of us pensioners over here suffer from this legislation and it is pretty indefensible whichever way you look at it.