Korat-Farang.com

HS2 or not ?

Roger · 5 · 172

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
As BJ prepares to get back to work, I wonder how the HS2 project will fare ? Revealing comments from Lord Berkeley, a Labour peer, deputy chairman of the Government's independent review of High Speed 2 :-

"During the review process I was excluded from some important meetings and unable to discuss and make contributions to the draft final report. A leaked copy then appeared in the media. I consider the entire process lacked independence and was unduly influenced by those seeking to ensure that HS2 would proceed . . . . .

. . . . the taxpayer would receive only 60p of return for every pound that is spent on the project. This is in stark contrast with the BCR of 2.3:1 (£2.30 gained for every £1 spent), that was sold to Parliament during the approval process for the project."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/04/hs2-no-hs2-railways-midlands-north-need-upgrading/
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Personally, I think HS2 is a huge waste of the taxpayers' money, especially given the fact that the projected cost has risen from some 35Bn to over 100 Bn quid.  Who benefits from the line?  Businessmen to be sure, but rather like the high speed train project here (which I also think is a waste of money)  the average Joe or Somchai isn't going to benefit at all.  High speed rail is no use for freight either, which the Thai govt seem to be ignoring.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
Not. Huge waste of money. Supposed to be for benefit of North but phase 1 terminates just beyond Stoke! Far better to fund HS3 connecting northern cities east-west facilitating routes between Newcastle, Teesside and Hull via Leeds  to Manchester and Liverpool.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I agree 100% with that Teess. If HS2 progresses, HS3 atm is scheduled for 2040 ?   ::)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
Not. Huge waste of money. Supposed to be for benefit of North but phase 1 terminates just beyond Stoke! Far better to fund HS3 connecting northern cities east-west facilitating routes between Newcastle, Teesside and Hull via Leeds  to Manchester and Liverpool.

I agree too, and reading between the lines (geddit?!) of what the Northern Powerhouse minister Jake Berry has been saying, the emphasis does seem to be switching to linking the north. Better to spend far less money improving the line and signalling to allow more trains to run. There are two lines running north now, east coast and west coast.