Korat-Farang.com

FFP Dissolution

Hector · 6 · 264

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
"The United States strongly supports democratic governance around the world, and appreciates Thailand’s recent seating of a democratically elected government. While the United States does not favor or support any particular political party in Thailand, more than six million voters chose the Future Forward Party in the March 24 elections. The decision to disband the party risks disenfranchising those voters and raises questions about their representation within Thailand’s electoral system."
I am not an American, but well done the US Embassy; I hope others will follow suit!

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
"The United States strongly supports democratic governance around the world, and appreciates Thailand’s recent seating of a democratically elected government. While the United States does not favor or support any particular political party in Thailand, more than six million voters chose the Future Forward Party in the March 24 elections. The decision to disband the party risks disenfranchising those voters and raises questions about their representation within Thailand’s electoral system."
I am not an American, but well done the US Embassy; I hope others will follow suit!

I agree Hector. I hope this is echoed by other countries (the democratic ones: there will be a number of countries which will wholeheartedly agree with what has happened and will be very glad that they can point to the precedent set by Thailand).

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hector thanks for that and well spotted. Although the USA has the most influence here (?) I doubt the comment will make any difference at all. ATB
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Agreed Roger, but I note that the EU has backed up the US comments and there are a lot of anti articles in the press - in fact I haven't seen one that supports the EC's verdict.  But I thought the point about effectively disenfranchising 6 million voters was well made.  No, I don't think the EC will back-track - about as likely as the 'sheeple' manning the barricades in support of FFP!

Online TJD

A residual reflex from the US Embassy. 

Meanwhile in the USA, opposition, legal and political oversight, and critical media reporting, has effectively been neutralized. 

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
The fact the US Embassy has issued this statement is a reflection of events here being noted at the highest level of US Foreign policy. It's a shot above the bow and comes as we near the time when US sanctions against Thailand and it's HR issues will kick in, removing some tariff advantages for Thai goods sold in the US, which will have a further negative effect on exports.

But everyone forgets, that post coup, Prayet said that if to preserve 'Thainess', he has to turn Thailand into the next Myranmar, then that is what he will do. He's well on his way and the only question is when or if the people will decide that all these attacks against any opposition, the economic damage they are facing and threats to freedom, are no longer acceptable, as unlike the people of Myranmar, Cambodia, and Laos, they have seen the 'other side'.

It's up to them really.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:51:28 PM by caller »