Korat-Farang.com

UK Quarantine Exemption List

Hector · 19 · 501

Offline Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I see that Thailand is not on the UK quarantine exemption list of countries in spite of the incredibly (!) low infection and death rates and the fact that there have been no infections recorded other than returnees in 43 days.  I imagine it must have to do with reciprocity, as Thailand still requires a 14 day quarantine for all foreigners (bar certain exceptions) entering the country.  Whilst I understand this, I find the 'travel bubbles' report on allowing Chinese tourists in (particularly to Phuket) somewhat illogical and disturbing!

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Certainly Thailand cannot qualify for 'UK quarantine exemption' because Thailand does not accept any tourists at all, atm. Well done Thailand. Good decision IMO.

Spain, France, Italy etc. may come to regret accepting UK tourists - just MO but CV-19 is not sufficiently under control in the UK yet for this to happen.

Hector let's see how Thailand's travel 'bubbles' work out - I'm surprised it's not Japan, S.Korea, Oz and NZ first. Maybe the bubble can be controlled OK.

The UK shambles - I quickly counted 170 flights yesterday into Heathrow alone, 21 from the USA and 2 from Brazil - a total of maybe 20,000 PAX daily - untested - and some straight down to the Pub today ! BJ's quarantine is a joke - I'd guess 50% will ignore ISO. I don't know how the UK will end it's first wave at all with this open borders policy.

Nearly 4 months into the crisis, the UK still has an estimated 3000+ cases daily.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:43:17 AM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Hector

• Golfers in Korat
In fact, Roger, about half the countries on the UK Exemption list impose restrictions of some sort on UK visitors. eg Austria, Australia, S Korea impose quarantine, others an outright ban like Vietnam who will only let in Vietnamese nationals.  I have no difficulty with Thailand not permitting foreigners in willy-nilly, but was curious as to the logic behind their exclusion by UK.
I think your hope that a travel bubble containing the Chinese can be somehow 'controlled' is optimistic.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
In fact, Roger, about half the countries on the UK Exemption list impose restrictions of some sort on UK visitors. eg Austria, Australia, S Korea impose quarantine, others an outright ban like Vietnam who will only let in Vietnamese nationals.  I have no difficulty with Thailand not permitting foreigners in willy-nilly, but was curious as to the logic behind their exclusion by UK.
I think your hope that a travel bubble containing the Chinese can be somehow 'controlled' is optimistic.

Australia has a new outbreak in Victoria and is having trouble getting it's own citizens to quarantine, yet alone anyone else. 

The Thailand - China situation is a farce. The whole World knows that China has lied about it's figures and is still suffering new outbreaks in various locations, causing draconian lockdowns.

Offline Hector

• Golfers in Korat
Caller, you are quite right. The UK hasn't had a daily figure of 3000 infections since 17 May and the daily rate since then has been mainly below 1000.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I see that Thailand is not on the UK quarantine exemption list of countries in spite of the incredibly (!) low infection and death rates and the fact that there have been no infections recorded other than returnees in 43 days. 

The UK Govt. has said more Countries will be added to the list in the next few days, I am sure Thailand will be included.  But there are issues with Thailand. Whilst it is apparent SE Asia generally got off lightly as the virus probably wasn't at maximum strength as it passed through, Thailand had an excess of 2500 deaths over and above their average when new infections were at a peak here in March, there is the pitiful number of teats (300k compared to the UK's 10m and increased UK testing hasn't resulted in increased infections being found), the fact that 21 Burmese returning from Thailand were found to be infected with the virus in quarantine, which has yet to be explained as far as I am aware (but not looking out for it)  and the fact that various expats across various social media are reporting that they went for testing as they had symptoms in common with the virus, only to be told they had the flu, but not that flu and to go home and rest. Not flu season yet and you wonder how many others, thinking Thais here, were told the same. Did any subsequently die?

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Caller, you are quite right. The UK hasn't had a daily figure of 3000 infections since 17 May and the daily rate since then has been mainly below 1000.

;D

21/6 1221
22/6  958
23/6  874
24/6  653
25/6  1118
26/6  1006
27/6   890
28/6   901
29/6   815
30/6   689
01/7   829
02/7   576
03/7   544

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thailand has been removed from the advisory against ‘all but essential’ travel, so the UK government has determined that Thailand no longer poses an unacceptably high risk for British travellers.

According to the BBC:
The Foreign Office is expected to update its travel guidance on Saturday, including naming which countries will have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK and not require British visitors to quarantine on arrival.

Let's see if Thailand is mentioned in the updated guidance.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hector your Reply 3 - thanks. "curious as to the logic behind their (Thailand's) exclusion by UK'. Yes me too  ???
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Caller and Hector - I wrote 'estimated' and 'estimated' it is - by ONS statisticians, PHE and Cambridge University. Estimated  ;)

"England's coronavirus outbreak appears to have stopped shrinking ahead of 'Super Saturday', as official figures today claimed around 3,600 people are still getting infected every day. . . . But the same data shows the virus is spreading at a slightly quicker rate, with an estimated 25,000 new cases in the week ending June 27 — up from the 22,000 infections occurring in the community the week before. ONS statisticians, who made their projection based on swab testing of 25,000 people picked at random, warned the speed at which the outbreak is declining has 'levelled off'. The estimate is in line with yesterday's prediction by Public Health England and Cambridge University academics, who claimed up to 3,000 people are still getting infected each day.

This included 1,000 in the Midlands, which is home to Leicester — the first UK city to be hit by a 'local lockdown'. Their estimate is based on modelling of based on death data, antibody surveillance sampling and mobility reports
."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8483625/Coronavirus-infection-rate-England-drops-just-one-2-200-people.html  (July 2nd)

Please, what is the source of the lower figures you quote ?

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Caller your Reply 6 is interesting :-

"SE Asia generally got off lightly as the virus probably wasn't at maximum strength as it passed through" - sorry is that just a guess or is there a source ?

"Thailand had an excess of 2500 deaths over and above their average when new infections were at a peak here in March" - I wonder what the source for that figure is ? And what would the same figures be for April, May and June too ?

You mention anecdotal accounts suggesting understatement of deaths in Thailand and of course, all things are possible. However that would be most alarming if true, as Thailand has just re-opened bars, night clubs etc. etc. If there's an inherent higher level of infection than published, reducing controls could have horrible consequences.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

You mention anecdotal accounts suggesting understatement of deaths in Thailand and of course, all things are possible. However that would be most alarming if true, as Thailand has just re-opened bars, night clubs etc. etc. If there's an inherent higher level of infection than published, reducing controls could have horrible consequences.

I don't why you're are bothered Roger.  it's quite clear you believe what you want to believe, irrespective of the source. If you want to believe the stats of a fascist junta that's up to you.  Same as you don't believe the word of the Government of an open, democratic society.  Your choice.

Considering you choose to use so many abstract stats, I am not sure if I am surprised or not that you appear ignorant of the official ones.   Numbers of infections were just revised down by 30k by the way. As the stats are constantly being analysed and corrected where errors or omissions are found.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Caller - I've already acknowledged that in Thailand there may be 'an inherent higher level of infection than published' and further I have never said that I don't believe the UK figures although 'it seems the UK has more than it's share of failings' (reply 568).

Now I'll have to answer myself, the questions I asked you  ;)

The 'virus probably wasn't at maximum strength as it passed through' - that's just your theory then. It is possible   8)

You say Thailand's excess deaths in March - '2,500' but quote no source. Alfie posted a BBC source (CV-19 reply 564) that 2,400 more deaths had been recorded in Thailand from March - May, (not just March). I commented in 565, 'I've seen figures of 50,000+ and 60,000+ for the UK when 'excess deaths' are included, (that's a multiple of 25).'

I asked you and Hector what the source was for the up to 1,000 new cases daily - no reply. So I'm guessing it's new Patients with confirmed tests. As you know, that's the tip of the iceberg due to asymptomatic, light symptomatic and unknown cases - so great efforts are then made to estimate the 'true' rate of infections for obvious reasons. That's the 3000+ figure which was not a 'lie' as you so rudely said, but a different statistic.

I think Thailand with 58 deaths total, deserves a pat on the back, (early lockdown, closed borders, curfew,  mandatory masks etc.) and compares well with the UK 44,220 deaths and rising, (late lockdown, open borders,  mask denial etc.)

Finally after your earlier assertion (reply 564 June 16th) - "All those incoming flights into the UK? Most are cargo and even as of today, many flights are from China". I have linked and proven to you beyond doubt surely, that your assertion, which was 8 weeks out of date even then and repeated, was incorrect. Why have you not acknowledged this in the interests of sincere discussion ?

Caller please put me on 'ignore' as you said you would before.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:58:08 AM by Roger »

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hector - Thailand is not on this list again today.

"The Government has been accused of confusing holidaymakers after it emerged only 25 of the 74 destinations on their “travel corridor” list are fully accessible to English visitors without restrictions."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/07/05/british-holidaymakers-can-visit-25-74-travel-corridor-countries/

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Reciprocality.

Dear Sweet Jesus, is there nothing the UK Govt can't be blamed for. If I was Johnson and his Govt. I wouldn't bother. Other Countries place restrictions and it's the Governments fault. Too much for the brain dead twats to manage to check on their own on a County by Country basis? Glad I ended my subscription to the Telegraph and their nonsense.

And just who wants to travel here at the moment? Flights have to be arranged via the Embassy at inflated prices, then quarantine at cost, then sent to a destination of their choice with day trips of their choice, on top of which are insurance requirements that can't be met.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Just noticed your Reply 15 Caller. IMO as the Govt. is trying to advise people where they CAN go on holiday, to give a list of 74 places with only 25 unencumbered - is confusing - and that's what the Govt is being blamed for.

As Hector originally pointed out - Thailand didn't even make the list and for such a popular destination, that's very odd.  Just a thought - maybe the UK were told by Thailand, 'you must be joking' when the subject was broached and the UK in a huff, left them off the list altogether.

Tourists from the UK ?  It ain't gonna happen anytime soon  ::)

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
Roger, it look like Boris has finally taken notice of you: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55681861
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi SFS and thanks for that - better late than never eh ? Halleleua !

I've been having tussle with an anti-vax character on a TUFC site - here's mine to him today :-

" . . . . the latest news is that BJ has at last moved towards wide border controls i.e. requiring negative tests to board flights to the UK - it's a step in the right direction BUT adherence to other self-quarantine instructions has been measured as low as 11%.

Border controls should have been introduced 8 months ago but the argument produced by the Scientists then was - 'no point in border restrictions, because the virus was already so prominently in circulation'. IF THAT WAS RIGHT THEN, HOW IS IT DIFFERENT NOW ? UUuummm - I think the virus, is certainly as prominent or more prominently in circulation now ?

Even though CV-19 is an unprecedented situation, this and many other serious mistakes have been made by the BJ Govt. Bringing it down to a personal level, if you want to control the virus, save lives and also save our TUFC for the future, having the fun of attending live matches again any time soon, then an anti-vax position makes little sense."

SFS keep your 'ead down over there M8 ! As you are such a youngster, I guess you have to wait a while longer for your vax  ;)

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
I had a call from NHS today at 11:20 asking me if I was available to have the vaccine today. The answer was yes of course so was booked in for 12:50. Went along at the time allocated, quite busy but very well organised. In a short space of time I was on my way having had the Pfizer jab, back for the second in 12 weeks.

As a young 64 year old diabetic I am hugely relieved and grateful to have been vaccinated.
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.