Korat-Farang.com

TV to 'Smart' TV ?

Roger · 11 · 360

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Advice please. Having moved house we now have TOT WI-FI, (replacing an ancient dongle) and the chance to upgrade TV wise.

I'd like to make our Samsung 40" into a 'Smart' TV - but am technofobe.

I understand I can plug in an Akai Smart Box, Roku streaming stick, or a Google Chromecast OR SIMILAR and access TV on www - (hopefully without linking my PC?). I'd like to have one with a TV 'handset' function too.

Please recommend the best device I might be able to buy locally, (I'm not in Korat), or even on Lazada (gulp). Sweet and simple will do for me  ;)

Then I need to sign up somewhere for access to TV channels - I'm not concerned about Netflix, Facebook etc. but would like to access BBC/ITV and UK Freeviews if possible. Al Jazeera would be nice. Which is recommended ?

All responses welcome. Thanks. Roger
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:11:17 PM by Roger »
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline mikeweaver

Hi Roger ...
Regarding the TV, it does depend on your budget.. Check out Rtings.com
I bought an LG UM7300 from The Mall, it was reduced from 18k to 12990.. it is a 55 inch smart TV. It is exceptional...
If you require the TV to use the internet frequently, I would advise you to have the router,to be very close to the TV. So that it can be connected from the router to the TV directly via an ethernet cable. Not using WiFi, as this can lead to infrequent speed and reliability issues..
Cheers

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
My TV is anything but 'smart', but I agree entirely with mw about connecting it to the router with an ethernet cable not using wifi.  But  I use a 20 metre long ethernet cable from my 'study' up and over the ceiling to  the room my TV is in, so router and TV  don't have to be side by side.

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
My tv is connected over wifi (not direct by wire) and I have no problems using internet. Depends on wifi strength. Streaming requires > 10Mbps.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thanks Mike, Hector, Teess. Yes I've got that lead - inherited. That's great will do !

Outstanding items  . . . . .

"I understand I can plug in an Akai Smart Box, Roku streaming stick, or a Google Chromecast OR SIMILAR and access TV on www - (hopefully without linking my PC?). I'd like to have one with a TV 'handset' function too. Please recommend the best device I might be able to buy locally, (I'm not in Korat), or even on Lazada (gulp). Sweet and simple will do for me  ;)
Then I need to sign up somewhere for access to TV channels - I'm not concerned about Netflix, Facebook etc. but would like to access BBC/ITV and UK Freeviews if possible. Al Jazeera would be nice. Which is recommended ?
"

Thanks again. Roger
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline mikeweaver

Roger,
If you wish to use your existing TV,
Then the easiest way to go is to buy an Android Box from Lazada.Connect the box to the TV by a HDMI lead  I would advise to look on You tube for reviews. Then .. search for the model number on Lazada. A decent Android box,would be around 1500-2500. Maybe a fellow Board member could advise regarding live TV, there are free apps, but they can be unreliable .

Offline slimeball

• KFers in Korat
  • "Talk of the devil and his horns appear"
Rather than an android box, I'd suggest to go for a fire stick, either the Roku or Amazon, both available on Lazada. I find the speeds on fire sticks are way better than the boxes, plus they fit super neatly behind the TV out of sight. You can also program the fire stick remote to operate your TV.

There are lots of IPTV options available at very reasonable prices, I would suggest to buy 2 so you always have a backup.

SB.
"I've never played for a draw in my life"

Sir Alex Ferguson

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thanks Slimeball. I'll look for the Roku but if anyone else has experience or a recommendation, please post. I'm getting there, maybe  ???

Can get this on Lazada but I'm reading up on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-Premiere-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B07XJ7DTZ4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=HPXVGBBKR1D5&dchild=1&keywords=roku+streaming+stick&qid=1602147115&s=electronics&sprefix=roku+%2Celectronics%2C410&sr=1-8

ATB
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:01:36 PM by Roger »

Online Thaiwolf

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Hi Roger, an intermediate step for a technophobe might be to link your laptop to your tv using a hdmi cable.

You can then use a wireless mouse (around 250bt) to control the laptop and tv.

Google hdprime and pay for a three day trial. It can be unreliable at times but if you have a stable and fast internet speed, you should be OK.
Having a backup is a good idea, livetvnet is ok.

You can get all bbc, ITV and channel 4 programmes for free using hola vpn (500bt for 3 years)..

Just be warned, tv via the internet can be unreliable, but 95% of the time it seems ok.
I use chromecast linked to my smartphone and it works very well.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Hi TW - thanks. My laptop is on it's last legs - (a faulty screen hinge) - so I don't move it around much. I have a wireless mouse though  :)

I'm still thinking of a Roku convertor (or a new Smart TV). Your hola vpn is a great idea - that would do me btw - is that 'live' TV ?

No footie I'm fed up. ATB

Online Thaiwolf

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Yes iplayer All4 and ITV hub all allow live tv and alot of video on demand stuff. Try installing hola on your laptop.

Try the free version to see if it works for you, then install iplayer etc. You can then watch tv on your laptop. Simply connect to tv via hdmi cable and you are away.

Give me a call if you get stuck.