Korat-Farang.com

Where are they now: gone forever or coming back?

Coolkorat · 4 · 112

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
For those of us who have not been in Korat for a while, would it be possible to get some updates and insights on the places I remember from those on the ground? I have my own 'query' shortlist, but it would be great to know more:

- George & Dragon. I believe closed. Permanently?

- Sports Bar. I know this is gone now. What replaced it? What happened to the people involved? Where are they now?

- Monkey Bar. Still going strong! Proves that good management works. New Christmas menu out too!

- The pool bar (pool tables) that opened, but shut fairly quickly. There was talk of it relocating? I think in Joho?

- the interesting-looking bar down the road (towards the monument) from the G&D. Still there? There were a number of bars that opened around the same time as that one, not aimed at farangs but which seemed to reflect a more vibrant, interesting culture developing in Korat. There was one towards the five-roads junction too.

- Third World Burgers(?). On the north edge the moat. Wow. What a burger...

- Ram Bar; there's a name from the past! Stayed at the hotel behind it once.

- There were some really good coffee places. I remember one in a converted house, with a walled garden. On the same road (I think) as the large nightclub. Sorry this is so vague! Great coffee though.

- The Irish Bar by the Sima Thani. I only stayed at the ST once, and took a walk to see where is was; it was closed, and had been for many years. I seem to recall the lease was taken by a Japanese person. Many years ago there was a suggestion that people perhaps should take a monthly 'subscription' as a way to keep places (and in particular the Irish Bar) going. Wishful thinking, but with the best intentions. There was some American themed place further along too. No idea about that place. Big sheriffs badge on the side.

- I seem to vaguely recall there was somewhere near to the lake? Or is this my imagination?

I'm sure there are many others. Korat was a really buzzing place, and had (hopefully still has) so much potential. Desperately needs good public transport and a dramatic traffic-reduction scheme.

Mely (Dawn) would be the ideal person for this: she has always had her finger on the pulse of Korat. I know she's shying away from social media at the moment though. If anyone knows Dawn well, please point her to this post. She's a very talented writer and her comments would make for interesting reading.

It would be great to learn what happened, or what is happening. There are so many places gone: I never went to the Walrus but know how people felt about the place. Oasis is the same - I never had chance to go.

Hope this doesn't seem too maudlin! It isn't intended. Years ago I wrote a post on one of the forums (this or KFart) where I asked for opinions about the best location for a farang bar in Korat. That was back when there were a handful. I had no intention of opening a bar, and still don't. But the saying "birds of a feather flock together" is still true: and post Covid, Thailand may well become more open and welcoming than it has traditionally been.

Korat may see an interesting influx over the next few years. The farang bar might make a gradual and subtle return. Mike Newman always said he missed having a traditional bar where he could 'belly-up' and enjoy some beers. Perhaps it's coming.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:06:01 PM by Coolkorat »

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
That seems from the heart CK - you must be missing Korat  8)  so time for another visit perhaps  ;)

Not being in Korat now, I can't comment other than Briony from the 'Sports Bar' went back to Ireland and 'The Tiger is coming', (your 5th mention), still thrives I believe, but mainly with young Thai's.

ATB - enjoy the IoM - I wish I could !

''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Offline Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Solid Member
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan
That seems from the heart CK - you must be missing Korat  8)  so time for another visit perhaps  ;)

Not being in Korat now, I can't comment other than Briony from the 'Sports Bar' went back to Ireland and 'The Tiger is coming', (your 5th mention), still thrives I believe, but mainly with young Thai's.

ATB - enjoy the IoM - I wish I could !

On re-reading it was a little nostalgic Roger! I think when you spend time somewhere you do gain an attachment to it. I'm not sure I'd make a specific journey from BKK to Korat though; more because travel time is always limited and there is so much of Thailand I have never seen. Perhaps when the high speed train starts I might visit again.

Thanks for your updates. I don't think I ever met Briony but heard his name mentioned (very positively) a number of times. It will be interesting to read other people's thoughts and updates!

No Covid restrictions here on the IOM, but the border is effectively closed and no word if/when it might reopen. Not that there is anything to go to the UK for - why risk going to somewhere in 'tier 3' lockdown....!

Online Teessider

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • No metropolis without Ironopolis
I remember the Walrus under its previous guise as the Sport & Cocktail bar run by Paul who started up the quiz nights in Korat. When he went back home the quiz moved to the Ram which had a less jovial host. Are the quiz nights still running? I tried the sports bar a few times and met Briony but it was a srange place. Never felt at home in George & Dragon.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal