Korat-Farang.com

Vehicle Ownership

EssexAl · 9 · 495

Offline EssexAl

Hi, I'm still waiting to complete my quarantine (in it's many guises) here in the village so haven't been able to delve into the process of obtaining a Thai licence just yet but another (sort of related) query has just popped up!

I've already decided that I will need my own "wheels" and I've pretty much opted for a 4x4 pick up of some description. Query: I'm in Thailand on a 90 day Non Imm O. The vehicle I will eventually buy will almost certainly need to be on finance. Is it possible for a farang in my position to actually own said vehicle outright - in my name only - or will it need to be in either the wife's sole name or in joint names???

Thanks in advance as I'm assuming that people here have "been there, done that" sort of thing.

Much appreciated - Allan

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I'm sure you can probably own the car yourself and others will no doubt tell you.  But for me every new (and used)  car I have bought in Thailand over 20 years, the wife has bought with my money.  It has saved a deal of hassle.  Insured for both of us.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I have two vehicles in my name only. I've never heard of having two names in the ownership book. I paid cash for my vehicles so I can't help you on the finance part although I did once hear that the finance company keeps the ownership book (blue book for a car, green book for a motor bike) until the loan is fully paid. I don't know if that is always the case, though.

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
I've never heard of having two names in the ownership book either.  In our case my wife is the owner of the car/s.  I am simply one of the insured.

Offline EssexAl

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
I've never heard of having two names in the ownership book either.  In our case my wife is the owner of the car/s.  I am simply one of the insured.

Ok I will react. When I bought my first car in 2007 I had my name and name wife put in blue owners book. Insurance looked puzzled but did what I wanted. Second car simply in name of wife. When I changed licence plate first car I also changed name blue ownership to my wife's name. Simply to avoid problems with inheritance for the far future (at least I hope so, haha).

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures
First, if you want to buy a car and put it in your name you will need a Letter of Residence from Thai Immigration. Not sure you can get a letter on a 90 day visa. As others said there can only be one name in the vehicle book (title) If you finance a car the title will stay with the finance company till you pay off the loan. Expats can get a car loan in their name but usually requires 50% down.

If you put the car in your wide's name, which I suggest, most likely your name will be on the loan document as a guarantee.

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Call me picky on this one, but we Farang can't put our name on a property, (unless it's a Condo), so it's not a bad idea to register a bit of assertion and at least put the car in your own name. After all, you are likely to be paying for the car, insurance, maintenance, fuel etc. AND be the main driver, so why not do what's necessary and have it in your name ?   ;)

Al - you say you look for a 4 x 4 ? Are you going to be offroading ? If not, a normal 2 wd pick up will do and a 4 door cabin is a great idea ! The pick up helps you do so many things it's better than a saloon as an only car, maybe ?

There are some good second hand vehicles around and if you buy from a farang, it's easier to find out about it. If you are married, I would have thought a copy of the marriage cert. and your wife's ID would help the Vehicle office put it in your name. Maybe the dealer can get that done for you  ;)  if you insist on it being in your name, (as I would).

Good luck.
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online Robert

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
First, if you want to buy a car and put it in your name you will need a Letter of Residence from Thai Immigration. Not sure you can get a letter on a 90 day visa. As others said there can only be one name in the vehicle book (title) If you finance a car the title will stay with the finance company till you pay off the loan. Expats can get a car loan in their name but usually requires 50% down.

If you put the car in your wide's name, which I suggest, most likely your name will be on the loan document as a guarantee.

Hi rdrokit,

you state "" as others say" there can only be one name in the vehicle book means you and others are saying I am not telling the truth. So enclosed photo of blue vehicle book of Honda City ZX with my wife's name in Thai and my name in English. Maybe changed since September 2007 but I did get 2 names in the book.

Official name of paper to buy a car or renew your driving License is "Application form for Residence Certificate in Thailand.

IMG-1801-1" border="0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:11:26 PM by Robert »