Korat-Farang.com

Second-hand vehicle from other province

Anton · 6 · 416

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Did any K-F member residing in our province ever purchase a second-hand car or motorcycle registered in another province? What is the full procedure to follow in this case to change owner name and number plates? Thanks in advance for any useful advise.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Not the exact situation Anton - but I brought a vehicle in from Petchaburi and registered it with a change of name in Nakhon Ratchasima. It was years ago but if I remember, it was done at the central 'Traffic' office just before Tesco on the left (opposite, but further down, from the 'Mall').

You have to be prepared to sit awhile and make maybe more than one visit. Good luck !
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein

Online rdrokit

• Golfers in Korat
  • Solid Member
    • Rokits Pictures
Had my Cerfiro  for years that I bought in Pattaya. It had Pattaya plates which I never changed and never had a problem paying my registration each year here. I sold it to a person in Korat without a problem. It is up to the new owner if they want to change the plate so you can keep the plate on the vehicle or go to the transportation office next to the Tesco in town and change the plate when you register the car in your name. No penalty for having a car with another province's plate.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Back in 2015 I did exactly the same as Roger did at the same office, as I was at that time living in Korat, although my truck came from Hua Hin.

I didn't go through the same process when I moved to Hua Hin. I have since renewed my license here and tax annually without any issues whatsoever and I now have no idea why I had to go through the whole process in Korat!

I suspect it's one of those legacy things that many always did, without realising it was now unnecessary, unless personal choice. 

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
Thank you for the replies, that's useful to know and it changes the general perspective.
Village idiots unwelcome here

Online Hector

• Golfers in Korat
A few years ago my wife sold our car (it was in her name) to a farang in Chiang Mai.  I googled transfer of vehicle ownership and the system seemed pretty straightforward.  I already had a Sale Certificate (Home Made) and I pulled off a copy of the Department of Land Transport Transfer of Ownership Request Form (in Thai and English).
The farang buyer came to us.   Our part was relatively easy; we all went to the local Amphur Traffic Office where we did the transfer of the vehicle. Vehicle book, IDs and Transfer doc. They were not interested in what price is paid for the vehicle except whatever it costs to transfer - I recall there was a small transfer fee based on the value of the vehicle. 
In our case the buyer needed to take the transfer doc plus copies of everyone's ID/Passport and his Tabien Baan back with him when he went to the vehicle office in his own Amphur. What they do I don't know, but they are the guys who will issue a new No Plate. Buyer needs to sort out insurance before purchase - if he has any sense!