Korat-Farang.com

American Root Beer - Would I like It

Guest · 32 · 1149

melyianna

I used to eat/drink a lot of ice cream floats when I was a teenager. I haven't had it for ages though I suggested it to my daughter recently. I feel an ice cream float coming my way soon. I've never tried it with root beer, though. I'll give it  try next time I see root beer for sale.

i ate a lot of ice cream floats when i was younger too (surprising, i know, with my stunning, slim figure. 555) and have also not had one for ages. my thai husband surprisingly likes root beer so i'll have to suggest it the next time we go grocery shopping.

i also really like floats made with vanilla ice cream and orange juice. tastes like a creamsicle.
although i haven't tried it with thai orange juice... i imagine it would still be pretty good.

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
old Jubbly was an orange drink in a plastic / cardboard container that looked like a small pyramid , and if you put them inro your freezer , they made Orange Ice pyramids that you sat licking on the park bench , just before you went to mug some old aged pensioner  ;D

Tp

God I remember these from when I were a lad, as they say up north. Used to be very popular in Cardiff when I was young.
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
I have never tried Root beer but going back in time again and reading about dandelion & burdock pop brought back another childhood memory for me. In Cardiff we used to have a sasperella (you guessed I don't know how to spell it) shop, which was a real treat on a saturday. Pints and 1/2 pints just like a pub and it tasted good too.
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
What's in a sasperella, sfs?
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

melyianna

What's in a sasperella, sfs?

it's another root used to make drinks. i've never had it but my grandfather (in the US) used to talk about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilax_regelii

melyianna

miranda (which is owned by pepsi i believe?) has root beer too but be forewarned.. is tastes like crap.
opt for A&W whenever possible and stewarts if you can find it.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I can remember the first time I tasted Miranda Orange about 20-25 or more years ago (in Europe somewhere). I thought it was quite nice. Years later, it appeared for sale in the UK. I thought "Great!!" However, when I drank the UK version, it was awful! Nothing like the "original" European Miranda.  >:( 

Thaiphoon

Well the verdict is in .........

Tp

melyianna

but did you try it with vanilla ice cream as a float?
it's much better as a float. it's kind of strange on its own.

ginger ale is much better as a straight up soda pop.

Thaiphoon

melyianna , that sounds a great idea, going to give it a try ,  on its own it reminds me of medicine  ;D

Tp

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I drank one last week. Lovely. Bought it at the Mall in the Freshmart supermarket. 13 baht.

AndersJensenThailand

The danish bar have been having this for 2 years, we never sold any it was only my ex. who was drinking it, she can drink alcohol, she said it is without alcohol...........  0 alcohol......  then not for me  +++5555