Korat-Farang.com

Nazi Schoolgirls Start A Heil Storm In Thailand

Guest · 27 · 943

Thaiphoon

September 26 - 2011

Students in a school in the northern Thai capital of Chiang Mai thought they would give their teachers and parents a surprise on their Summer Sports Day.

They kept their secret under wraps until the day was upon them and then with flourish and a fanfare they arrived to gasps and groans from within the crowd.

Leading the march into the sports ground was Adolf Hitler replete with toothbrush moustache followed seconds later by his squad of rather effiminate SS guards with plastic machine guns.

Foreign parents and teachers reeled under the shock of the sheer bad taste of the exhibition and once again Thailand’s education system took a knock. Didn’t the students still know what the Swastika and Nazis represent?  The answer is they clearly did not. Not even some of the Thai teachers.

As a result, a delegation of from consulates of Britain, the United States, France, and Germany today (Monday) went to the school to protest.  They left after the school authorites said they had been kept in the dark over the students' plan and insisted that no offence was intended.

A  foreign English language teacher at the Sacred Heart Catholic School in Chiang Mai said: “It was all very embarrassing. Traditionally the students wear fancy dress on the summer sports day and they like to keep everything they are preparing quiet.  Nobody saw any swastikas around the school before the event.

“But then on sports day when we saw these Nazi storm troopers we were appalled. We told the Thai teachers that this was not on.  But even they did not understand what was wrong with the display.”

A British parent said: “It could have been worse. They could have been marching to the ‘Horst Wessel Song or 'Bomb Oh Bombs on England.”

A school spokesman said: "We did not know what the students had planned. This is a bit unfortunate but no offence was intended. We explained to the consular representatives."

It’s not the first time this has happened in Thailand.

In 2007 a director of Thewphaingarm School in Bangkok, Kanya Khemanan, was forced to apologise to the Los Angeles based Simon Wiesenthal Centre after a similar incident in which 200 students dressed up as Nazis for the Summer Sports day, and strutted around Seig Heiling.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper of the Simon Wiesenthal Center complained: “We are long past the time when such incidents take place in Asia that can be excused due to 'alleged' ignorance of the Nazis' atrocities during World War II.”

Source

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=444

Tp

kamahele

I guess it shows the state of education in Thailand. However I must say that when I was in school, we had little to no education on Asia culture and history and could have made such a mistake. It wasn't until I attended high school in Hawaii where I was forced to take Asian History (as all mainlanders were) that I learned something about the history and culture of this area.

lozz

If there had been a world war in Asia I think we might have heard. In fact as a Hawian I would have thought you'd be acutely aware of that, given the events of December 7th '41.

I don't think there is any worth excuse for not knowing of events which shaped our world inside the last hundred years. Even to just have the jist of it. I talk to teachers here though who have no idea what WWII was about or even who was fighting who, let alone who won!

But the I have the pleasure of working with people who think "He who must remain nameless" was born either in Thailand or Switzerland!!

They may love him, but they don't seem to know the first thing about him, literally.  :-\

Salika Donga

It's amazing what they don't know about him Loz. ;) What happened to modern Thai history ?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Honestly, I can't see what all the fuss is about.

A delegation of from consulates of Britain, the United States, France, and Germany today (Monday) went to the school to protest? Come on! Is it really such a big deal that delegations from consulates go to a school to protest? I hardly think so. It was only a fancy dress parade. ::)

I am surprised, given the apparent outrage, that the reporter didn't ask the students what they had to say about it. There's a quote from: A foreign English language teacher, a British parent, a school spokesman, and even a 4 year old quote from Rabbi Abraham Cooper of the Simon Wiesenthal Center - but nothing from the students. Wouldn't that have been more educational for all involved?

(NB: Not feeling "shocked" about the parade does not mean I am a Nazi, a Nazi supporter, a Hitler lover or an apologist for Hitler. I am none of those.)
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online sfs

• KFers beyond Korat
If i'm not mistaken wasn't Prince Harry photographed a few years ago with his Uni chums dressed the same!!
If at first you don't succeed you are clearly not cut out for it. Give up and move on.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I couldn't agree more with you, Alfie. :D

You might already know, Toddy, but the original article came from the Daily Mail!!!  :o  ::)  :D They have a lot to answer for!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
If i'm not mistaken wasn't Prince Harry photographed a few years ago with his Uni chums dressed the same!!

Yes, I seem to remember that. IIRC, there was a bit of a storm about that, too.

Toddy

I couldn't agree more with you, Alfie. :D

You might already know, Toddy, but the original article came from the Daily Mail!!!  :o  ::)  :D They have a lot to answer for!

I must have missed that!!  ;D

lozz

I think Harry was just pretending to have the same family background as his (half) brother. Amazing what the weak will do to fit in.  :-\

kamahele

This story has now made it to CNN. I actually feel sorry for these kids. Due to a bad education, they had no idea what they were doing. I would have thought that since they were attending a private school, they might have had a better education than they would have had in a public school, but apparently not. And a Catholic school? Hitler didn't exactly like Catholics.

As I grew up in NJ, we were never taught about what the Japanese did to the Asian countries they invaded. I am assuming that has changed since the dark ages when I was in high school. We focused on only what the Japanese did to the white folks, and not what they did to their neighbors. While they attacked Hawaii, on the mainland of the USA, they focused on us as a "white" nation basically and the mostly white people that were killed in the December 7 attack. Hawaii was and is a majority Asian / Polynesian state and many of their Japanese citizens were put in concentration camps until the end of the war.

PYB

The school said there was no offence intended wonder if they would feel the same if the Kids dressed in Japanese uniforms.

melyianna

The school said there was no offence intended wonder if they would feel the same if the Kids dressed in Japanese uniforms.

honestly, they probably wouldn't be offended or even think anything of it.

to perhaps help put the holocaust into perspective for our thai friends... it would be like someone coming to thailand and saying, "i don't like thais" and then killing 80% of thai people (53 million) but only after subjecting them to abuse, torture, and slave labor. and then imagine if other people taught their children that what happened to the Thais was OK and then dressed them up like the leader who killed 80% of Thai people, waved the flag of the killers around and made gestures like the people in the army of killers.

melyianna

I understand what you're saying about you not learning much about asian history when you were younger, kamahele...

but did you at least learn about Pol Pot? I think that would have been a better comparison. I learned about Pol Pot and what the Japanese did here, but I'm also a bit younger than you, kamahele.

but even that... i doubt that the average thai citizen really knows much about pol pot or the genocide in cambodia.... and cambodia is NEXT TO THAILAND!

i think this is just another example of the Ethnocentrism and xenophobia that is instilled into Thai people from birth. if it doesn't directly affect them... then mai pben rai, chai mai?

Toddy

There have been many comedies over the years with a Hitler/Nazi theme, albeit obliquely at times.

Anybody remember: Allo Allo, Basil Faulty (Don't mention the War, I think I got away with it), that unfunny (short arse) British "comedian" years ago with the wellies - what was he called? I'm sure that others can add to a long list.

The fact of the matter is that human beings find humour in the darkest and strangest of things. It is proabably a defence/coping mechanism.

lozz

We have a German exchange student at our school who is a nice lad. Gets on well with the kids and everyone enjoys chatting with him.

A Thai teacher asked him recently, " What was it like living under Hitler's rule?" To which he had to explain that being 16, it was a bit before his time but he didn't think it would have been the best time to have been German.  ::)

Such a lack of awareness is hardly excusable, is it? From professional educators??!!