Korat-Farang.com

Gin Jay - Vegetarian festival

Alfie · 33 · 1402

Toddy

I must be dyslexic - I just read the title as Gay Vegetarian Festival. I thought, how would that work?  :D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I must be dyslexic - I just read the title as Gay Vegetarian Festival. I thought, how would that work?  :D

Dyslexia or a Freudian slip?  :o   ;D
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
actually I would have spelt eat as "kin" instead of "gin" ;

Baht is actually spelt as Bath in the Thai script

This is why this forum is so good - you learn stuff.  :)
Why ? It's spelt with a G .and pronounced with a G ???
 Jeff .. Thai to English is difficult to translate as the Alphabets are different but not hard to learn. :D
Alfie could teach ya. ;)

Thanks SD. I think I will learn how to speak first. No offence Alfie  :D

None taken, Jeff  :)
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Toddy

I must be dyslexic - I just read the title as Gay Vegetarian Festival. I thought, how would that work?  :D

Dyslexia or a Freudian slip?  :o   ;D

Ouch, that hurt!  ;D

melyianna

yeah there's tons of stuff at the mall (it looks like that's where you took the photo, alfie?)

thai husband and i had some steamed coconut pudding at that jay festival in the mall the other day. regular steamed coconut pudding, steamed coconut pudding with bananas, and steamed coconut pudding with pumpkin.

i like the "fried" coconut pudding a bit more than the steamed but it was still really tasty.

at other booths there in the mall they had a lot of tofu dishes and some dried mango fruit rollups. i'm not sure what else. thai husband and i had just had a fight so i wasn't really paying much attention.

Offline waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
Thank you for interested in vegetarian (asian) festival.
Gin = eat in Thai word.
Jay = 齋 in Chinese word means keep purity, peace, no kill to respect chinese gods in Taoism. So we eat vegetable.
Then madarin says Chi Jai but cantonese says Chi Jay.
Chi = 吃 = eat = gin/kin in Thai word

We eat vegetable and fruit, no eat food from animals such as milk,eggs,butter,honey,etc. And we don't eat 5 kinds of vegetable : garlic,onion,spring onion,Chinese chive, and Chinese parsley.

Today,5th Oct is the last day of this festival. We go to temple to make merit.  ;D I did.
Long live to long learn

Derek

Thank you for your explanation Waterheart. Is there a special reason why you don't eat garlic, onions, chives and parsley?

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
I think chillies are also avoided during the festival; some veggies are not eaten during the festival because of the nature; eg garlic and onions can make one hot :-)

I wonder whether those observing the festival abstain from sex as well lol

Offline waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
Thank you again !  :D
We don't eat 5 vegetables because :
- they have bad smell and desire sexual.
- a old story say that a monk don't eat meat at all then a man want to check so he cook food in very small piece of meat and serve to that monk. The monk know by his sense then he drop food to ground that become to 5 vegetables.

And we still eat chilli such as som-tam-jay, very delicious.haha.
And nobody says that we avoid sex.haha.
Long live to long learn

Quilter

Not all vegetarian, it all depend on which denomination. ??? Some groups eat all 5 veg. + egg but other don't.  ::) Similarly, some abstain from sex but others prefer close intimacy with their love one... Btw...Cantonese pronoun as Sek Chai and not Chi Jay... ;D

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard

Quilter

If there are Malaysian, Singaporean, Hong Kee...most of them speak cantonese.  I know one Thai restaurant own in Saveone speak cantonese. ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:10:50 PM by Quilter »

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
I would think most Malaysians and Singaporeans speak Hokkien instead