Korat-Farang.com

Football stadium name changes

Alfie · 4 · 215

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Newcastle United are to change the name of their stadium. They have changed it already from St Jame's Park to the Sports Direct Arena, named after after Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley's company. But that name is only temporary - to show that there's a sponsorship opportunity to anyone interested. Newcastle are now searching for a "long-term sponsor to acquire full naming rights" in order to secure significant additional income for the club.

The club has played at its current home ground since 1892 and the ground has (as far as I know) always been called St James' Park. That's 128 years! And now it has been changed! I'm sure Salka Donga will have something to say about that. It seems wrong to me. I think a better arrangement is possible but it's up to the club and the supporters.

What do you think? Should clubs change their ground names?

And if so, what names would you give to other football grounds?

Here are some of my suggestions for name changes:

Man Utd - The Kellogs Stadium
Liverpool - GE Power Park
Birmingham City - The Dunlop Eagle Vector Ground

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Salika Donga

Alfie, it's all bollocks. St James is St James and always will be. Ok if it's a new stadium like the Reebok or Emirates or even the Stadium of Light but you cant just change the name of an institution.
Ashley is a winker :( :( pure and simple.

Toddy

Alfie, it's all bollocks. St James is St James and always will be. Ok if it's a new stadium like the Reebok or Emirates or even the Stadium of Light but you cant just change the name of an institution.
Ashley is a winker :( :( pure and simple.

I have never heard anyone call St James' Park the Sports Direct Arena. Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

SD is correct: absolute, utter bollocks.  ;D

Online Teessider

Typical Ashley. He replaces the blameless Chris Hughton with the proven failure Pardew and sees his team at 3rd in the Premier league. He just had to spoil it.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal