Korat-Farang.com

Flour types in Thailand

Alfie · 33 · 3060

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I have been thinking for a while about doing some baking but when I go shopping and look at the flour for sale it is not called the same names as in the UK. In the UK (IIRC) there's plain flour and self raising flour (for white flour). I don't remember exactly what it's called in Thailand but it's not the same. Can anybody explain what types of flour there are in Thailand and how they equate to 'plain' and 'self raising', please?

Thanks in advance.  :)
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Koratchef

• www.koratchef.com
    • Western and International Foods Delivered to Your Door, in Thailand.
Hi there alfie,

types of flour in thailand come in 3 basic types.

bread flour
plain flour
cake flour

The thing that makes them differ is basically the protein content, bread has the highest ranging from 12-15% plain flour is something like 8-11% and cake flour the lowest at around 5-7%.

For bread bread, generally a higher amount of protien is desireable as when kneading the dough, more gluten is produced making the dough stronger and more elastic, properties which are needed for the bread to rise more.

Plain flour can be used most things, even bread as the protien content is high enough. Generally this is used for making cookies, biscuits, cakes, tortillas, naans etc.

Cake flour is used when you want more of a spongy rise, the air bubbles will be much less pronounced as there is not enough protien for the gluten to strengthen the dough enough. Examples would be victoria sponge and that rediculously light spongy cake that i cant quite remember the name of this moment but im sure you know what i mean hehe.

Self raising flour from back at home would be plain flour with added baking powder. This works by release of carbon dioxide when it is heated, thus creating air bubbles.

In thailand you need to add your own baking powder which can be bought in bakery shops like the one behind yamo called excel. Yeast can also be bought there to help rises for yeasty bread doughs.

If you need any more info on the quantities of baking power/yeast vs flour, let me know and i will post those also.
The Korat Chef Store, 357 Suranaree Rd, Nakhon Ratchasima city. 0845 887 434 - sales@koratchef.com - www.koratchef.com

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thanks a lot for your response, Koratchef.  :)

I'm not sure what I'll make yet but I'd like to try Gingerbread men if I can get the ingredients. I might experiment with some form of bread, too, and possibly some cakes. Yummy.  :)

Offline Koratchef

• www.koratchef.com
Ingredients for the gingerbread men are easy enough to get, except for possibly the powdered ginger, since its so readily available fresh here i would assume they must have it, I have just not seen it, maybe that is more down to me not looking though.

cinnamon is easy enough.

good luck with them :)
The Korat Chef Store, 357 Suranaree Rd, Nakhon Ratchasima city. 0845 887 434 - sales@koratchef.com - www.koratchef.com

Buadhai

At Home Fresh Mart at The Mall they carry flour in small brown paper bags. They have "soft wheat flour" which corresponds to all-purpose flour and "hard wheat flour" which corresponds to bread flour. The "hard" part means the gluten content is high. They also have rye flour and whole wheat flour in the same sort of brown paper bags. In that same section you'll find several types, sizes and brands of yeast, baking powder and baking soda.

I've never seen powdered ginger for sale here.

One thing to note is that the price of flour is very high at The Mall and Tesco. I buy Pla Meuk (Squid) brand all purpose flour at my local minimart for 26 baht per kilo.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
At Home Fresh Mart at The Mall they carry flour in small brown paper bags. They have "soft wheat flour" which corresponds to all-purpose flour and "hard wheat flour" which corresponds to bread flour. The "hard" part means the gluten content is high. They also have rye flour and whole wheat flour in the same sort of brown paper bags. In that same section you'll find several types, sizes and brands of yeast, baking powder and baking soda.

I've never seen powdered ginger for sale here.

One thing to note is that the price of flour is very high at The Mall and Tesco. I buy Pla Meuk (Squid) brand all purpose flour at my local minimart for 26 baht per kilo.

Thanks for the info, Buadhai. Very useful.

Offline Koratchef

• www.koratchef.com
Hi Buadhi,

yes unfortunatly the price is very high for flour in the mall. Makro also has a selection of flours available near their bakery section, cant remember exactly but the price is something like 26-28b for plain and 32ish for bread flour, the brand we use is white swan, green pack for bread flour and light blue for plain.

I still highly reccomend the baking/utensils shop called excel as they cater for bakerys and what not so have a large range for good prices, along with pretty much everything you would need for baking (apart from ground ginger hehe).

Offline Bear

Thanks for useful information, could you narrow down where behind yamo is Excel? Went to Tesco for some flower (mackro out) and was 69 & 91 much to expensive  thanks Bear
If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change.

Offline Bear

To Koratchef: Could please direct me to where Excel is located want to go ther today Thanks Bear
If you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change.

Buadhai

I notice that Home Fresh Mart at The Mall is now selling "Mom Made" brand flour. The bread flour is, I think, 77 baht per kilo. This compares with 45 baht per half kilo for the brown bag "hard wheat" flour.

Offline Koratchef

• www.koratchef.com
To Koratchef: Could please direct me to where Excel is located want to go ther today Thanks Bear

Sorry I didn't see your post before Bear. I've done a screen grab of Google maps and added and large letter K which stands for Kasikorn bank which is close to it. Then there is a large B letter with an arrow pointing to it. The B is excel bakery supplies.

It's on Assadang rd just off Yamo monument, the far side to Klang Plaza.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Mrs Alfie bought some all purpose Kite brand flour today. 1kg for 28 baht.

Kite is the name for the all purpose flour produced by UFM - United Flour Mill, which seems to be a Thai company.

United Flour Mill Public Co., Ltd produces all types of wheat flour for sale in the baking industry as well as for export in the form of wheat flour, casava starch and wheat bran. Products of the company are sold under several brand names according to the type of product. These include the following: all purpose flour - KITE, bread flour - WHITE SWAN, special flour - RED LOTUS, cake flour - ROYAL FAN, and pies and pastries flour under the brand name PI.

bangkokpost.com/business/company-in-thailand/agriculture/food-and-beverage/listing/united-flour-mill-pcl/2097/info

Buadhai

Sorry I didn't see your post before Bear. I've done a screen grab of Google maps and added and large letter K which stands for Kasikorn bank which is close to it. Then there is a large B letter with an arrow pointing to it. The B is excel bakery supplies.

It's on Assadang rd just off Yamo monument, the far side to Klang Plaza.

Maybe the bank on your map is Bangkok Bank? Kasikorn Bank is on Chumpol Rd, one street south of Assadang.

Offline Koratchef

• www.koratchef.com

Apologies for any confusion, it is the road with the Kasikorn bank as I use it as my landmark. It must be Chumpol rd as you mention Buadhai, sorry if I sent anyone on a wild goose chase.

Buadhai

Not yet. I'm cycling there in just a few moments. I'll get a GPS fix on the location and take a photo...

Buadhai

The Excel baked goods shop is actually on Chumphon Road, on the same side as and just a bit east of the big Kasikorn Bank Branch.

The name is only written in Thai (เอ็กเซล), but the building is quite distinctive.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The Excel baked goods shop is actually on Chumphon Road, on the same side as and just a bit east of the big Kasikorn Bank Branch.

The name is only written in Thai (เอ็กเซล), but the building is quite distinctive.

I drove along that road yesterday but couldn't see the shop. Maybe it was closed and boarded up. A lot of shops were.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Ingredients for the gingerbread men are easy enough to get, except for possibly the powdered ginger, since its so readily available fresh here i would assume they must have it, I have just not seen it, maybe that is more down to me not looking though.

cinnamon is easy enough.

good luck with them :)

I found some powdered ginger in Klang Plaza 2 (Jomsurang Road) in the supermarket. 25 baht for a 30g jar. Made in Thailand.  :)

Last week we made some cookies. One batch was from a cookie mix pack and one batch was from a cookie recipe book. I experimented with fresh ginger cookies. The cookies were OK (but not gingerbread) but next time I will add a lot more fresh ginger and also try a batch with dried ginger to compare the tastes. I have gingerbreadmen cut outs, I just need to find a good  recipe.

lopezsteve

Looking for corn meal(to make corn bread at home) and so far no luck in Korat. Been to big stores as well as Excel, no luck.
Emailed Boubon Street in Bangkok(great place for cajun food) and was given the distributor contact info. Can go there but really don't like going to Bangkok when all I need is about 2kg. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Steve

melyianna

welcome to the forum, lopezsteve.

i've found cornflour in korat (the mall and even tesco express) but not cornmeal.

the chef at The Frog restaurant makes delicious cornbread. You could ask him or his missus.