Korat-Farang.com

Café Sixteen

Guest · 34 · 2022

Buadhai

They probably don't have the equipment to make the brewed coffee you want. The've got an espresso machine and that's it. The closest you're going to get to "a simple cup of coffee" is an Americano.

The chocolate cake is pretty good. I was there earlier today.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
As Buadhai says, the nearest thing to a 'simple' cup of hot coffee is an Americano (it's just black coffee). Just add milk to it. Ask for 'nom sot' for fresh milk.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:24:24 PM by Alfie »
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

melyianna

Went there today. Lovely decor, great service and the food was very good! Some very nice dishes.
I'd definitely recommend this place.

The only down point was they didn't have any icing for the carrot cake left but that gives me an excuse for going back sooner rather than later. I'd give it a big thumbs up and will be telling friends about it.

Buadhai, a very good find!

i always appreciate when waitstaff recommend something... and all the better if it's not on the menu. i'll for sure have to check this place out.

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
Well I finally got to try this establishment today with my wife, around lunchtime.
The place is very nicely decorated and furnished and gives out a good feel, unfortunately though they let themselves down with the service. 
After browsing through the menu I made a choice of spinach and cheese bake and my wife chose a salmon spaghetti.
They came back after five minutes or so and said the Salmon hadnt arrived yet so she opted for shrimps instead. Anyway her meal arrived after a while and looked very nice and she proceeded to consume it, but at a very slow pace as I had not been served with mine yet. Twenty five minutes or more later well after she had finished she asked where my meal was only to be told they had forgotten it.
Another twenty minutes or so and it finally arrived and I could not believe how small it was, although I have to say it was quite delicious.
Finally they came to our table pushing the cake and when my wife ordered the carrot cake , it hadnt been cooked yet, so we opted for the Tiramisu cake which turned out to be a piece of ice cream.
I will say that if I am over that side of the city and wanted a bite of lunch then I may call in again but it definately is not a restaurant for an evening meal.
HL  ;D

Quilter

This always happened in newly established restaurant ...

melyianna

Mr.Mely and i went on saturday. i was very excited about the carrot cake only to find that they were all out. the waitress spoke gibberish english and gibberish thai. Mr. Mely and I were both confused by whatever it was she was trying to say. after a few very confusing minutes of trying to get her to just speak Thai, we discovered she was trying to recommend the ice cream tiramisu (since they were out of carrot cake). i tried it. it was ok but the tiramisu at The Frog is better. my chai nom rorn (thai tea with milk) was good. Mr.Mely's cappuccino was not. the staff were unattentive even though it was only Mr.Mely and I and 1 other table (and they were just having coffee).

i will go back another time in order to hopefully try the carrot cake (which they assured me they usually have every day but they hadn't cooked yet that day... hrm... apparently they tell everyone that, eh Happy Larry?).

the decor was lovely. the decor was the best part.

Offline Koratchef

• www.koratchef.com
    • Western and International Foods Delivered to Your Door, in Thailand.

I'm a little surprised both you Mely and HL had bad service there. I wonder if the staff have changed since my visit a few weeks back.
I will try and go again this week.
The Korat Chef Store, 357 Suranaree Rd, Nakhon Ratchasima city. 0845 887 434 - sales@koratchef.com - www.koratchef.com

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage

I'm a little surprised both you Mely and HL had bad service there. I wonder if the staff have changed since my visit a few weeks back.
I will try and go again this week.

Well Korat chef I will point out that the owner was sitting at a nearby table (we were the only customers in there at the time) and she enquired of the waitress what our problem was, however when she found, out she immediately carried on with what she was doing and completely ignored us.
So if thats the owners attitude then I dont see much hope for the staff getting better, to be honest.
Where I come from, if a business makes a cock up then they try to make amends in order to protect future income ie....give discount...a complimentary drink or at the very least an apology. If I owned the place and someone had to wait an hour for a dish that would have only just covered a 100 baht note that was folded in half then I would have cancelled the entire bill. But this is wonderful Thailand and we are not here for the service , are we.
Like I said earlier, if I am over that part of the city during the day time then I may pop in for a drink but I certainly wont be eating there again.
HL  ;D

melyianna

i would go back in order to try the carrot cake if i'm on that side of town but i would for sure get the carrot cake "to go" and not order anything else.

Buadhai

Still delicious.

[attachment deleted by admin]

melyianna

i DID go back and get a carrot cake to go but it wasn't as good as i had hoped and the staff were still really strange / didn't seem to understand english or thai (even when my thai husband spoke in thai). very strange.  ???

Buadhai

Perhaps we're not talking about the same restaurant....

white fang

It backs onto the railway, so if no trains at your place then you are in the wrong place  ;D

Took the boss there and had a real enjoyable meal, the staff were excellent and friendly, best coffee in Korat for me, the food was hot and tasty,
A big YES from the boss + me and will be back for more yum yum  ;D

Buadhai

I've never had trouble communicating there. A while back I misplaced my reading glasses. Next time I was in I inquired if I'd left them there. They checked and didn't find them. Next time I visited, one of the waitresses greeted me with glasses in hand. She told me the chef had found them out back near the railroad tracks. Friendly and helpful.