• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
:o I think you are the middle handsome man... haha...  ;D

Long live to long learn

Offline waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
the progress of tattoo removal treatments

http://news.yahoo.com/reformed-skinhead-endures-agony-remove-tattoos-162205881.html

:'( Is it hurt enough?  :-[ :-X :-\  OH...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Long live to long learn

Conan

For those of you who have tattoo's in thailand how is it perceived? Have anyone said anything negative or treated differently. I don't care what people think, but seems here judment can be more costly then in Canada.

I have a small dragon tattoo on my right arm but will eventually be getting both my sleeve's done in traditional Japanese style mixed with a portrait of my younger brother on my left uper arm and a few personal touches to explain my life story mixed in with the traditional japanese style.

-Eric

melyianna

For those of you who have tattoo's in thailand how is it perceived? Have anyone said anything negative or treated differently. I don't care what people think, but seems here judment can be more costly then in Canada.

I have a small dragon tattoo on my right arm but will eventually be getting both my sleeve's done in traditional Japanese style mixed with a portrait of my younger brother on my left uper arm and a few personal touches to explain my life story mixed in with the traditional japanese style.

-Eric

Generally the only Thai women who have visible tattoos are (or have been) prostitutes. As a western woman who has a full sleeve and several other visible tattoos, I have a lot of Thai people (especially men) assume I'm promiscuous. I've had conservative and country Thai people (both men and women) tell me that my tattoos make me ugly. I've had a lot of female Thai prostitutes tell me that they love my tattoos and they ask where I got them done, how much I paid, and if they hurt.

i have 2 traditional Thai "sakyant" tattoos done at Ajaan Noo's ashram (the guy who did Angelina Jolie's tiger and shoulder piece) and if Thai people see those, they mostly tell me that Ajaan Noo is an expensive sell-out who tattoos slutty farang women.

::)

Conan

-Eric

Generally the only Thai women who have visible tattoos are (or have been) prostitutes. As a western woman who has a full sleeve and several other visible tattoos, I have a lot of Thai people (especially men) assume I'm promiscuous. I've had conservative and country Thai people (both men and women) tell me that my tattoos make me ugly. I've had a lot of female Thai prostitutes tell me that they love my tattoos and they ask where I got them done, how much I paid, and if they hurt.

i have 2 traditional Thai "sakyant" tattoos done at Ajaan Noo's ashram (the guy who did Angelina Jolie's tiger and shoulder piece) and if Thai people see those, they mostly tell me that Ajaan Noo is an expensive sell-out who tattoos slutty farang women.

::)

Thanks for the post mely.

I'm sorry to hear people have judged you for this, IMO pretty narrow minded. I figured that's what the perception was here but eh well, guess well just have to live with it. I find properly done tattoo's on men or women to be quite beautifull, a walking piece of art. I love hearing stories of what it means to them, its fun to learn about people's experiences in life.

Same thing in Canada tattoo's are viewed negativly and often looked down upon.  I was at a board metting once and one of the new employee's was teling us how we can't trust people with tattoo's, especially with the ones with full sleeve's as it must mean past gang history. Three of us start snickering as we all have them and the CEO takes of his jacket and rolls up his dress shirt sleaves to reveal his full sleeve's and says oh really? Priceless moment. Thankfully I work for myself now so I don't care but it's unfortunate so many view it in a negative light.

I had a japanese female work colleague that I use to work with, had a full body suit done. She always wore business atire for work so no one know's but went to the beach with her a few times and it was quite stuning, found it very attractive.

My brother's girlfriend has a full back piece and like to do her sleeve's but can't. She will be getting her PHD this year to be a psychiatrist and feals it would be career suicide getting them done due to appearence's. Hopefully in time people will grow to be more accepting.

Eventually I'd like a traditional body suit but will start with my sleeve's and see were that takes me. Have to wait 6-8 months t'ill im bigger and then its ink time.

melyianna

Have to wait 6-8 months t'ill im bigger

??? are you a body builder? k1 fighter? child who has yet to fully grow?  :D

i think quality tattoos are beautiful works of art as well and i love hearing the story behind them. all of my tattoos have stories behind them.

a lot of my friends in the states have extensive tattoos and a lot of my friends there are tattoo artists (as is my current husband). i never felt particularly judged because of my tattoos in the US. mostly people either just ignored them or loved them and wanted to know more about them. i suppose part of it may have been that i'm also 6'2 tall and my ex husband was a big chopper-building tough guy. so it's not like people were going to talk sh1t, you know?

i was very lucky in that the company i worked for in the US was very VERY tattoo and piercing friendly. i had my earlobes stretched to 1 inch each at one point and i had long, multi-colored dreadlocks for years.

sadly now I am an old woman and the dreadlocks got too heavy for my neck muscles to support.   ;D

dozer

Hi Conan,
I have extensive tattoing on both forearms and elsewhere. Generally, because they are colour tattoos, most Thai people are appreciative of them, especially my tattoo of Hanuman with a billowing Thai flag behind him (my design btw).
However I have had the displeasure of working for an Expat whose wife thought she was very smart in belittling me in front of the Thai workers by asking me in a loud voice "why you have sak took ti...sokabrok maak maak" to which I replied in Thai to her"Next time you go to the wat ask the monk the same question" the Thai workers laughed...nervously...she lost face......a week later I lost my job  haha
The fact is there is the same stigma attached to tattooing here in Thailand as any other country.
I am a teacher, so I wear long sleve shirts to school and that keeps everyone happy. I have some Thai script tattoed on my neck RHS and English on the left. Both are passages from the bible. Wearing a tie keeps them covered but when I teach PE they are clearly visible...teachers and two nuns have gotten up close and personal to read the Thai translation and appreciated it.
End of the day there are always going to be those in the world who think they can judge me by my appearance...they can kiss my sweaty @rse.

I've seen Mely's tatts when hshe and Mr Mely used to come into our restaurant in Dan Kwian and I have to tell ya she's got some great ink on her.
The old adage don't juge a book by it's cover

Salika Donga

Dozer, that's your choice. My best mate has tats and is justly proud of them. Mind you his two lads have Tats and earings thru the ears and nose. I'm so glad my two sons are boring farts like their old man ;)

Have to be honest in that I don't like to see tats on women but I'm sure Mel"s got great ink :) and I would never judge anyone by their appearance anyway.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:13:48 PM by Salika Donga »

melyianna

Hi Conan,
I have extensive tattoing on both forearms and elsewhere. Generally, because they are colour tattoos, most Thai people are appreciative of them, especially my tattoo of Hanuman with a billowing Thai flag behind him (my design btw).
However I have had the displeasure of working for an Expat whose wife thought she was very smart in belittling me in front of the Thai workers by asking me in a loud voice "why you have sak took ti...sokabrok maak maak" to which I replied in Thai to her"Next time you go to the wat ask the monk the same question" the Thai workers laughed...nervously...she lost face......a week later I lost my job  haha
The fact is there is the same stigma attached to tattooing here in Thailand as any other country.
I am a teacher, so I wear long sleve shirts to school and that keeps everyone happy. I have some Thai script tattoed on my neck RHS and English on the left. Both are passages from the bible. Wearing a tie keeps them covered but when I teach PE they are clearly visible...teachers and two nuns have gotten up close and personal to read the Thai translation and appreciated it.
End of the day there are always going to be those in the world who think they can judge me by my appearance...they can kiss my sweaty @rse.

I've seen Mely's tatts when hshe and Mr Mely used to come into our restaurant in Dan Kwian and I have to tell ya she's got some great ink on her.

i miss the moo manow, dozer.

i've had thai people tell me i'm dirty (sokabrok maak maak) because of my tattoos too. mai pben arai!

Conan

i think quality tattoos are beautiful works of art as well and i love hearing the story behind them. all of my tattoos have stories behind them.

a lot of my friends in the states have extensive tattoos and a lot of my friends there are tattoo artists (as is my current husband). i never felt particularly judged because of my tattoos in the US. mostly people either just ignored them or loved them and wanted to know more about them. i suppose part of it may have been that i'm also 6'2 tall and my ex husband was a big chopper-building tough guy. so it's not like people were going to talk sh1t, you know?

i was very lucky in that the company i worked for in the US was very VERY tattoo and piercing friendly. i had my earlobes stretched to 1 inch each at one point and i had long, multi-colored dreadlocks for years.

sadly now I am an old woman and the dreadlocks got too heavy for my neck muscles to support.   ;D

Yes body builder, i use to weigh 230-240 pounds with abs at 8%. I got fairly sick this past year and couldnt work out and shrunk to a meer 200 pounds at 12-14% body fat, pretty sad. Still have a few months to recover my health then it should take me 6-8 months to get back into shape and goal is to sit around 270 eventually, id like to compete for fun in a few years.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:55:14 PM by Conan »

Conan

Hi Conan,
However I have had the displeasure of working for an Expat whose wife thought she was very smart in belittling me in front of the Thai workers by asking me in a loud voice "why you have sak took ti...sokabrok maak maak" to which I replied in Thai to her"Next time you go to the wat ask the monk the same question" the Thai workers laughed...nervously...she lost face......a week later I lost my job  haha

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have some cool tats! And yes I'm a firm believer in not judging anyone by the cover. I've met the sweetest looking people that turned into monsters and vice versa so better just to get to know someone before judging.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:05:46 PM by Conan »

melyianna

Yes body builder, i use to weigh 230-240 pounds with abs at 8%. I got fairly sick this past year and couldnt work out and shrunk to a meer 200 pounds at 12-14% body fat, pretty sad. Still have a few months to recover my health then it should take me 6-8 months to get back into shape and goal is to sit around 270 eventually, id like to compete for fun in a few years.

for sure try to be closer to your goal weight before you get more tattoos. :) you don't want to stretch them out.

Online Coolkorat

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Whichever way you throw, it will stand
    • Pix Isaan

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Perhaps they should refuse to sell records made by artists who have tattoos or piercings!

Idiots.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Wisdom in Forum
I recalled about this old topic when hearing a news item in last night's Swiss news in French, broadcast this morning on TV5 Monde.

A local politician in Switzerland was obliged to resign from his position within a right-wing party when an old photo was uncovered, showing a nazi tattoo on his forearm. It seems that he tried to defend himself, in vain, by declaring that it was a youthful folly, that he had already renounced to that ideology, and (relevant to this topic) that he "intended to remove the tattoo since a long time but it was too expensive".

I didn't find anything in English about it, here is an article in French, try Google translator on it if interested:

NEUCHÂTEL: LE PRÉSIDENT DES JEUNES UDC A UN TATOUAGE NAZI - Le Matin 19.12.2017
Village idiots unwelcome here

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
There's tattoo much flesh on show! Body art festival organisers are fined after fans were allowed to wander NAKED around a shopping mall in Rayong.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7LWyw5c3lc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7LWyw5c3lc</a>

The parades of naked men and women exposing their bodies attracted several complaints from visitors to the shopping centre who did not part-take in the convention. 

Ton Naboon said: 'I was visiting to watch a film with my wife and young daughter and my wife was doing some shopping. We had no choice but seeing these people. This should have been in a different place, with only people who choose to see it going inside.' Wattana Sagasin added: 'This is not acceptable for society and traditional Thai culture.'

Daily Mail

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Online caller

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard

Online jivvy

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Wizard
Yuk +1
One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.”
- Socrates

Online Roger

• KFers beyond Korat
  • Forum Wizard
I've got an Aussie friend who has tattoos from his feet to his neck. It took a bit of getting used to when I met him but now I don't notice it. Fortunately, he keeps his clothes on  ;)
''If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough'' - Albert Einstein