Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forums - a thing of the past?  (Read 663 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • Korat-Farang.com
Forums - a thing of the past?
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »

Are internet forums needed or wanted these days? There are still plenty of them around but many are very quiet, including this one.
Or are there just too many forums around? Or is it the Facebook effect? Do you want a forum? What do you want or expect from a forum?

Discuss.

sulasno

• Old Hand
Re: Forums - a thing of the past?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »

first there was BBs, then newsgroups and all went extinct because of forums;
then there were blogs and blogs and then everyone started FB, Twitting, and god knows what else

and social hubs taking over the world

a forum is for people with a common interest to share their experiences

slimeball

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »

Forums are a great source of information, depending on your geographical / cultural location. This forum for example is very handy, plus it provides a chuckle or two with some interesting posts from certain personalities.
I am not an avid poster, mainly because of time constraints, but secondly because I often have nothing to add to the conversation. Its either been said or its obvious. That said I do read this forum regularly.

Some people like to post endlessly, several times on the same topic within the same few minutes to answer 2 or 3 peoples previous comments, that is their choice, but it doesn't make the forum more interesting, in my opinion just the opposite.

Forums may well start to die out, FB I think is indeed a factor. But for expats living in a foreign land, I believe local forums will live long. Common experiences, new information which is not readily available locally, plus meeting people - all important for this neck of the woods.

Just my tuppence. ;D

waterheart

• Solid Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/thai.pookie
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

What do you want or expect from a forum?

First, I want to practice my English.  :)
Now, I can get some advantage information from this forum.
Thank you very much.  :D

white fang

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »

I agree with what has been said on the previous post, I also find this forum friendly, informative, easy to understand, the crack is good  ;D

Keep up the good work  :)
if you can`t explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough. Information is not knowledge

DeadButt

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:14:12 PM »

I don't have or want a FaceBook account, page, address or whatever it is you call it. I too started out with BB's and newsgroups and found many interesting things there just as I do here.

I think forums will be here for a long time. This forum is local and relevant to those of us who live here.
Thank you for your efforts to keep this one up and running.

Mr. John
If it has alcohol and is cold.. I'll drink it.

Teessider

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »

I recently closed my FB account as I didn't like their invasive policies. Forum is much better!
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

MrChokChai

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »

i love em and they are very very useful and this one may be quiet but many people use it in the background believe me it is loved by many

mcc

melyianna

• Solid Member +
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »

i think for expats or people who share one common specific interest, forums still have their place.
so long and thanks for all the fish!

Kev

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:12 AM »

yes forums do have there place, I don't have a FB account basically because I don't trust them with info put on there.

Buadhai

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »

I read recently that all but the most heavily moderated forums end up being dominated by bullies. In many cases the task of moderation becomes so odious that the administrators simply give up and shut down. (Sound familiar?) People who believe that politeness and empathy are virtues end up going elsewhere.

Eventually you end up with heavily moderated forums like Thai Visa that are useful, but boring. Or, you get places like Teak Door which is barely moderated and seems to be completely populated bullies and those with skins thick enough to resist them.

It's good to see that this young forum is frequented mostly by friendly, helpful people who still think that being nice counts for something.

Toddy

• Old Hand
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »

Well said!  ;D

bulldog

• Trying to stay cool in Thailand
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »

I think this is a great Forum and very useful to the Korat farang community, whether individuals post or not is irrelevant, as some members just like to read and others like to post. To stop this community would be a shame. One more point, leave the running of this forum to the admin, whether you agree or not. He or she is not doing a bad job IMHO.

Toddy

• Old Hand
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »

i love em and they are very very useful and this one may be quiet but many people use it in the background believe me it is loved by many

mcc

I don't think that this forum is quiet. It is quiet compared to the huge forums, but not compared to other community forums.

Keep up the good work Admin.  ;D

That_Guy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »

I have a lot of spare time at work.

Forums, newspapers, or even a blinking cursor are all useful in the never-ending quest for 5pm!

toddmeister

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »

Forums a thing of the past? - No I don't think so, not for me anyway

Before I first visited LOS 4 years ago I was not a member of any and had never even browsed a forum before.  As things developed with my Mrs, I found myself searching the internet for information on visa's and other Thai related issues.  That's how I was introduced to the forum world. 

These days I don't think I could go a full day without at least browsing one of the many forums which I use.  One in particular has been a massive influence in helping with my wifes settlement visa and move to the UK....not another by the way, which although has some good regular posters, it has just as many thai hating "farang kee nok" types (can I say that on here?) who seem to want to do nothing but bitch at anything and everything. 

I joined this forum because I was looking for something on an Isaan theme (the wife's from Maha Sarakham).  I don't have a direct link with Korat and hence I may not be able to post as often as I'd like simply due to my lack of knowledge of the area.  However, there will be times when I can contribute on general or other Thai related discussions.  Like That_Guy above, forums are a lifesaver to me at those not so busy times at work and home.

As for the FB thing.  I do have an account, but for me its used in a totally different way and I don't see it as a threat to forums. 

Steve

Ranger

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »

Buadhai mentions some very true points in his post above.

Midlander

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »

Are internet forums needed or wanted these days? There are still plenty of them around but many are very quiet, including this one.
Or are there just too many forums around? Or is it the Facebook effect? Do you want a forum? What do you want or expect from a forum?

Discuss.

Of course forums are wanted. May be some forums are quiet because their content is wrong. I'm not saying that K-F format is wrong. I post on other forums according to my needs. If I want local info it's best to post on a local forum, such as this one. If I want to know the where and what on farming, in Thailand, I'd use Thai Visa forum, as much as I despise the moderators on there. Their health forum gives me a laugh. I've never knew that there were so many seriously ill farangs here in Thailand.
But if I want to really get into a debating forum then I'd choose .................It's the forum where everyone seems to end up after being banned from Thai Visa, and that's quite a few. I don't feel at liberty to promote that forum, so I won't name it. Anyway I feel that it has all the attributes of being the best Thailand orientated forum. Each to their own, but you'd have to go a long way beat it, in my opinion.
Yes forums are needed, especially the local ones, so don't despair Admin.
Pages: [1]