Korat-Farang.com

Liberal Democrats threaten to 'kill' online surveillance plans

Alfie · 6 · 198

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Liberal Democrat President Tim Farron today vowed the party would "kill" proposals for increased monitoring of emails and internet use if they were not watered down.

Mr Farron said he was "prepared" to look at draft legislation, dubbed a "snoopers charter", when it is published but warned he was "in no mood" to back "authoritarian" laws.

Many Lib Dems were "horrified" by the plans, which would allow Government listening post GCHQ to monitor internet traffic – times, dates, numbers and addresses – in real time.

Mr Farron told BBC 1's Andrew Marr Show: "I am prepared to recognise that there is obviously a need in modern society with new technology to have a look at what needs to be given to the security services but only if it is absolutely clear there is no universal access. "But we are prepared to kill them, be absolutely clear about that, if it comes down to it.

"If we think this is a threat to a free and liberal society then there would be no question of unpicking them or compromising, this just simply must not happen."

"It strikes me that a Government that includes Liberal Democrats should ensure that Britain ends up a more liberal place, not less."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9192821/Liberal-Democrats-threaten-to-kill-online-surveillance-plans.html

Good man, Tim. Keep those Tories in line. ;D
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Ranger

This is a plan concocted up by the last labour government that the Tories and Liberals opposed at the time. Quite how it's come back is a mystery, but what's happening now smacks of hypocrisy.

At least someone in this coalition hasn't lost their mind. 

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
walls have ears; your mobile conversations are already being monitored

Toddy

This is a plan concocted up by the last labour government that the Tories and Liberals opposed at the time. Quite how it's come back is a mystery, but what's happening now smacks of hypocrisy.

At least someone in this coalition hasn't lost their mind. 

Correct! As I have previously made clear, Call Me Dave is worse than useless. He is just about as bad as Blair, whose idea it probably was to begin with.

We need much better than this crowd of career politicos.  >:(

Toddy

walls have ears; your mobile conversations are already being monitored

Orwell must be spinning in his grave. Bugger.

Toddy

Good man, Tim. Keep those Tories in line. ;D

You will find that David Davis (a real Tory, not a liberal pinko) is against most of the crap that no 10 comes out with, and he has the guts to stand up and say so.