Korat-Farang.com

2 English teachers required in Korat

Newshound · 21 · 1760

Offline Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
E.GLOBE require 2 native English speakers for a high school in Nakornratchasima (Korat)

1. Native English speaking teachers only
2. 23-55 years old
3. Male or female
4. Energetic and skilled
5. 1 year experience
6. Responsible

Must be a native English speaker from the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the United States.

Salary is 30,000 Baht.
Work Times : 17-20 Hours/Week
Start in May, contract is more than 10 months

Mr.Akarin
085-6661055 ; kawai_pat@hotmail.com

http://www.eglobethailand.com
http://http://www.teachingthailand.com/job/10572/2-english-teachers-in-korat-at-eglobe/url]

DeadButt

The jobs are in Dan Khun Thot. Prathom level. No office, no aircon.. The school owners are really nice..kids are average..

Ranger

That's a crap offer, hence probably why the lack of responses. Sorry to sound all 'Kate Moss' about it but, for a genuine western teacher, they probably wouldn't get out of bed for less than a 35k basic a month these days.

I'm afraid the place is 'having a laugh' as few will apply for it when they can walk into somewhere like Saint Mary's with no qualifications who employ every freak they can get their hands on and give 35k basic.

Although, I also notice the lack of a mention that they have to have a degree in the advert, which is interesting and perhaps you don't have to have one these days.

Dream on! What these places need is teachers with a TELF or a CELTA and you're going to have to do better than 30k a month for a reasonable western teacher that evades the freak label.

However, many of these schools etc just want someone who is a foreigner (often with white skin) to appease the parents but it's a sorry state of affairs in general. It's the old saying 'If it looks like an orange, then it is an orange' rubbish.

'Horses for courses' as they say,' pay peanuts and get monkeys.'

Sounds like the 'sweat shop' offer from the desperate for the desperate.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Well Ranger, if you think 30,000 is bad, I recently heard of a school that was informed it was getting 10,000 baht a month from the government to help pay for foreign teachers (a new government initiative), and the school has been looking for a native English speaker to teach English at a salary of .... yes, you guessed it ... 10,000 baht a month! I kid you not.  :D
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Ranger

Funny Alfie  :D, that is an initiative from the PT government insomuch as they will, as of this May semester, contribute in all schools to the salary of a westerner to the sum of 10k a month. They (PT Gov) have also said that it is extended to Philippine and Chinese teachers to the sum of 5k a month.

It's not their total salaries, the new Thaksin government have just said that they will 'contribute' to their salaries to make it easier for schools or colleges/universities to employ westerners or other English teachers.

It has been in the news recently and I'll try to fink a link to let people see for themselves.

If that school that you mention thinks that the 10k is what the Gov thinks it should be paying European/North American or Aussie foreigners then they are in 'Telly-Tubby Land'.

That sounds more like a case of "Houston calling school admin"........."Come in"......."You've been out there too long"....."Come in and return to Earth".  ::)    

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Do you know if it's supposed to be 10k a month per school? Or 10k a month per foreign teacher?

Ranger

I think, from all the reports I read, it's per teacher at every school that employs foreigners. However, they seem to have screwed up the notebook initiative so who knows if this one will see the light of day.

They are crapping themselves about 2015 when ASEAN opens up and there will be a flood of Chinese graduates and everyone else. Not being able to speak English or Chinese will be a big disadvantage for all.

Whether or not all the ASEAN countries will play a straight game with this is debatable, as they haven't in the past with regional agreements. But this time the Thai government seems to be more worried about it than usual to be honest.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:18:55 PM by Ranger »

vinnie

I'm afraid the place is 'having a laugh' as few will apply for it when they can walk into somewhere like Saint Mary's with no qualifications who employ every freak they can get their hands on and give 35k basic.

Although, I also notice the lack of a mention that they have to have a degree in the advert, which is interesting and perhaps you don't have to have one these days.    

On the contrary, the regulations regarding degrees have been hugely tightened and strictly enforced over the last few months. Teachers in Korat have been refused work permits and/or visas this year for not having a degree.

You're right about St Mary's. When I heard that a certain 'teacher' had got a job there I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Toddy

Does a teacher in UK need to have a degree?

The teachers at my school were mostly average to crap. There were one or two exceptions. I suspect that they are probably worse now. Bugger.

Offline donkising

I think, from all the reports I read, it's per teacher at every school that employs foreigners. However, they seem to have screwed up the notebook initiative so who knows if this one will see the light of day.

They are crapping themselves about 2015 when ASEAN opens up and there will be a flood of Chinese graduates and everyone else. Not being able to speak English or Chinese will be a big disadvantage for all.

Whether or not all the ASEAN countries will play a straight game with this is debatable, as they haven't in the past with regional agreements. But this time the Thai government seems to be more worried about it than usual to be honest.

The notebook / pad is a different matter

China is not a member of Asean

Thailand is leading member of Asean
and it seems your para 3 is alot of talk which really means nothing...
perhaps either I dun understand your american or you dunno much about Thailand's role in Asean.

anyway tat 10,000 baht additional for aborginal teacher is a good intention...
only half of that amount additonal for Pinoy and chinaman is a bit racist.. :D
notwithstanding, a small reward for those with passion
but after years in the dogmatic Thai education system, regretably, not many are left with 'passion'
nonetheless we hope that the inglish standard  ;D in Thailand will improve in the near future.. :D 

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Does a teacher in UK need to have a degree?

Nowadays I'm sure they do but I don't think it was always the case.

DeadButt

This 10.000 baht per month for schools that hire native speakers in their English program is a good thing. Too bad none of it's going into the teacher's salary.
It does make it easier for the schools to hire, but I wonder where the money is going. I'd bet some of its going to the local liquior store.

The salaries for English teachers here hasn't risen in 10 years.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I suppose it depends on how the schools finance the foreign teachers at the moment. Some schools charge the students a fee for being taught by a native speaker, even though the classes are part of the ordinary school syllabus. That seems wrong to me if education is supposed to be free (which, theoretically, it is in Thailand), so I would think some (or many) schools will use some or all of the 10,000 baht to reduce the fees paid by the school students. Maybe some schools will use some of the money to increase the salaries of foreign teachers, but maybe not.

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
some schools charge 700 to 800 Baht a student per term for extra classes;

what's 800 Baht multiple by 45 students in a class ? and how many classes in a school ?

previously some teachers were providing private classes on Saturdays charging 1000 Baht a month

Ranger

^ You're right, they charge a lot and make a fortune from parents that work too much and need somewhere where the kids are fine during the week (cheap daycare) and through this can pay the teachers an apparently decent amount.

You have to be careful as a teacher providing extra classes at your whim as technically it's not legal as your work permit only allows you to teach in a certain given location for a certain employer. If it's the same employer that employs you in normal weekly circumstances then it's fine, if it's not and you are elsewhere then you are supposed to get an extra stamp in the blue work permit book that says it's OK for you to teach at the other place. Whilst on this subject, I have always wondered just how legal it is for all these teachers to teach extra classes 'on-the-side' at the weekends in places like ELC/EEC or other language schools who have their work permits from some college or school for week-day teaching in the normal job.

Anyone know what the deal is with this now? Or is it just a case of the rule isn't really enforced or do these places now do the work permit requirements?

Donkising......American? That's a good one.  :D How did you guess?  ;D

Anyhow, you're right about it being a bit tight and discriminatory about the 10k for Europeans and 5k for Philly and Chinese folks.

As for the ASEAN factor, I haven't seen much difference from the free trade agreement that was signed and said to be starting on the 1st of January 2011, of which I've seen little evidence of any cheaper goods coming in from other ASEAN countries that would be of a better price than before even if not on parity with the Thai prices. I would think an easy example of that would be something like Beer Lao. My comment may have seemed slightly of the layman's type but could you clear that up for me/us if you know the deal. I thought that perhaps local industry protection was alive and well due to experiencing little difference on the ground here in Thailand.

Thankx.

Offline sushi

30k a month is peanuts but it could be a fantastic place to work and live which is a huge factor.

I heard today that Sarasas still needs 60+ teachers and are paying up to 50k a month, that might be a bit of a bargaining chip if people are trying to get a slice of the 10k a month the school gets.  ;) if it was going towards improving the kids education I wouldn't mind, but let face it we all know it be buying a director a shiney new Mercedes  :-\

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
For someone already living and settled near the school, 30k a month could be a reasonable salary. I can't imagine Dan Khun Thot being an expensive place to live.

Offline donkising

Donkising......American? That's a good one.  :D How did you guess?  ;D

Anyhow, you're right about it being a bit tight and discriminatory about the 10k for Europeans and 5k for Philly and Chinese folks.

As for the ASEAN factor, I haven't seen much difference from the free trade agreement that was signed and said to be starting on the 1st of January 2011, of which I've seen little evidence of any cheaper goods coming in from other ASEAN countries that would be of a better price than before even if not on parity with the Thai prices. I would think an easy example of that would be something like Beer Lao. My comment may have seemed slightly of the layman's type but could you clear that up for me/us if you know the deal. I thought that perhaps local industry protection was alive and well due to experiencing little difference on the ground here in Thailand.
Thankx.

oh.. i am so sorry..as usual, i am so slow in responding..
you know, after 50, brain cells start vanishing
if i can remember, the only person who said i am fast is my wife... :-X
maybe its the weather, i feel so hot :-[

you're right, i no finis high school therefore can only 'guess'
sure need a uni degree or PhD to categorise an opinion as fact of matter. ::)...
anyway, Ranger is a seldom use / strange name for blimeys.. ;D
and you write American...
so hope you don't mind me use an Ass rather than a Zee.. :D

regarding Asean-Thailand..very sorry tat i am slow..and thought it was on education...rather than FTA

comp jumping when i type and can't see what i typee...hav to go.. :-\

Ranger

Well, I guess that clears it up then............thanks for that.  ;D

DeadButt

Donksing..? Is that an acronym for donkey sing.. or singing donkey?