Korat-Farang.com

MY LOCAL FOOTBALL TEAM

Guest · 56 · 1563

mr hippo

You are a real football fan if you go or went to games
Is that so? My closest Div 1 ground whwn I was growing up was Goodison - thay would mean taking the 96 or 97 bus into Prescot, the 10 or 510 to the Green Lane tram depot and then the Fooball Special to Goodison and the same back again. You also needed the price of a ticket. Me and my mates were not from a wealthy background and we struggled to find the 3d for admission to our local heroes Prescot Cables. To talk of going to Old Trafford, Burnden Park and the like was like talking about going to the moon! My first visit to Old Trafford was in about 1962 when four of us cycled the 30 odd miles there, watched the match and then 30 odd miles back and we do that journey many times.
There have always been 'away' supporters so that is not new. Finances also pay a aprt in attendences. I married a Widnes girl and moved to Widnes and watched their rugby team for years. I used to walk the three miles to the match and then the three miles home. The last match I saw - or should I saw did not see -  was quite a few years ago, they put their prices up from 90p to £1 and I walked home in disgust! Last time I was in Widnes, the price had gone up to £15 - in the Super League now so the price will be more
So do not ever say that if you do not go to a match then you aare not a supporter - many cannot go, many cannot afford to go and many cannot justify the cost

Offline koratwanderer

I have very happy memories of 1958.
May 3rd to be precise.
FA Cup Final, Bolton Wanderers 2, Man Utd 0, and nobody ever gave us credit for winning the FA Cup!

I was 14 years old, but I went to all the previous games except the final, Preston N.E. away 3-0, York City away 0-0, York City home 3-0, Stoke City home 3-1, Wolves home 2-1, Semi Final - Blackburn Rovers at Maine Road 2-1.

I had a ticket for the final but I broke my leg a few weeks before and my Dad wouldn't let me go with my leg in plaster, so he sold my ticket to my uncle. I had to watch it on TV (black and white of course), but I can still remember Nat Lofthouse putting the ball and Harry Gregg in the back of the net.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13prB-g5fDU

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
That's a great video, KW. What a difference between now and then: a fair barge on the keeper. No angry keeper expecting to be molly cuddled. (I can remember in my school days that barging was allowed).

Later, two men down. Other players watching. Just one of these things. No angry outbursts or fisticuffs. A genuine accident.

And, the definition on that old film is surprisingly good. And Prince Philip handing over the cup 54 years ago! Looking much the same as he does now.

And was that woman in the crowd drinking tea?
'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
You are a real football fan if you go or went to games
Is that so? My closest Div 1 ground whwn I was growing up was Goodison - thay would mean taking the 96 or 97 bus into Prescot, the 10 or 510 to the Green Lane tram depot and then the Fooball Special to Goodison and the same back again. You also needed the price of a ticket. Me and my mates were not from a wealthy background and we struggled to find the 3d for admission to our local heroes Prescot Cables. To talk of going to Old Trafford, Burnden Park and the like was like talking about going to the moon! My first visit to Old Trafford was in about 1962 when four of us cycled the 30 odd miles there, watched the match and then 30 odd miles back and we do that journey many times.
There have always been 'away' supporters so that is not new. Finances also pay a aprt in attendences. I married a Widnes girl and moved to Widnes and watched their rugby team for years. I used to walk the three miles to the match and then the three miles home. The last match I saw - or should I saw did not see -  was quite a few years ago, they put their prices up from 90p to £1 and I walked home in disgust! Last time I was in Widnes, the price had gone up to £15 - in the Super League now so the price will be more
So do not ever say that if you do not go to a match then you aare not a supporter - many cannot go, many cannot afford to go and many cannot justify the cost

You went to games so I don't understand your point. The Peterborough tickets were 1.50 in 1988. I grew up on a council estate in the 80's so I got a paper round and walked a dog for the ticket price and bus fare. The people I am thinking of are those people who have clearly had or have disposable income but yet have never even attempted to get to matches, not those who cycled 30 miles for one.
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

mr hippo

I am thinking of are those people who have clearly had or have disposable income but yet have never even attempted to get to matches, not those who cycled 30 miles for one.
Did I have an extra 10p disposable income in my pocket at the Widnes match I mentioned? Yes but chose not to use it. it is all a case of priorities.

white fang

I see your point angsta, but SD does not, even if you live a fare way off and travel regular to see MANCHESTER UNITED you are and I quote a glory hunter,
A MANCHESTER UNITED fan   taking his son/daughter to Old Trafford with the http://www.prideofmanchester.com/sport/mufc-supporters-english-se.htm
will spend on a day out:
family stand 1 adult £37 1 child £19.50
Its a long day out 9am pick up in Colchester breakfast at motorway services £10, South Mimms then convoy to MANCHESTER, for 2 £10 dinner in Manchester, MacD`s or KFC £12 programme £3 meal on motarway on return for 2 £10 cost of coach £20

Total £121.50p estimated price, but I think I am not far off  ;D

So you tell the supporters who have to pay this for most games, as every game is an away game for them, that they are glory hunters,

The guy at home who can not afford to take his child to Old Trafford but can afford to buy a MANCHESTER UNITED shirt for his child, is doing hids bit to help the team/club, so money does mean YES I can go or NO I can not afford to go.

As for the 58 cup final, well what can I say, well done Bolton, your team were favorites  :-\ BUT the 56 cup final is a better story  ;D a German paratrooper with the OBE, now that is a story :)

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
I am thinking of are those people who have clearly had or have disposable income but yet have never even attempted to get to matches, not those who cycled 30 miles for one.
Did I have an extra 10p disposable income in my pocket at the Widnes match I mentioned? Yes but chose not to use it. it is all a case of priorities.

I forgot about that 10p, how stupid of me. You are currently in the process of leaving me speechless.

What was your point again? That story...

You go to games you're a fan, sit on your arse in the local and wax lyrical about Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool then you're not. Broad brush strokes but as Bruce Hornsby once said, that's just the way it is. Suck it up. 
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

vinnie

I grew up 8 miles outside of Peterborough and watched them for years in the old 4th division as I wasn't allowed on a train to Leeds on my own at 12 years old. 
Where abouts, angsta? I'm from Stamford. :)

Online Teessider

• No metropolis without Ironopolis

You go to games you're a fan, sit on your arse in the local and wax lyrical about Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool then you're not. Broad brush strokes but as Bruce Hornsby once said, that's just the way it is. Suck it up. 

Why can't you be a fan in the pub or at home? Premier league gets far more income from the likes of Sky than it gets thru' the turnstiles. It's pompous to suggest otherwise. Anyone can be a fan but some claim to be fans while knowing little about their chosen team or football in general.

Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
I grew up 8 miles outside of Peterborough and watched them for years in the old 4th division as I wasn't allowed on a train to Leeds on my own at 12 years old. 

Market Deeping. I went to Stamford college for a year, nice place.

There is no society.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage

Why can't you be a fan in the pub or at home? Premier league gets far more income from the likes of Sky than it gets thru' the turnstiles. It's pompous to suggest otherwise. Anyone can be a fan but some claim to be fans while knowing little about their chosen team or football in general.

I would suggest that it's pompous to think you can be a real fan and never go. It's not about the money, it's about getting off your arse and watching your team. It really is that simple. When you meet real fans you will immediately notice the difference.

How can you claim to suppport Man Utd having never been to Old Trafford or Liverpool without ever having stepped foot in Anfield? If you think the sky sports gold package is the same thing then you need to go just to see how it isn't.

Try it, you might like it.

There is no society.

mr hippo

How can you claim to suppport Man Utd having never been to Old Trafford or Liverpool without ever having stepped foot in Anfield? If you think the sky sports gold package is the same thing then you need to go just to see how it isn't.
Using your logic - you cannot be a Rolling Stones (or any other singer/group) fan if you do not go to their concerts. Listening to their CDs or watching them on MTV is not the same!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:12:20 PM by mr hippo »

Online Teessider

• No metropolis without Ironopolis

I would suggest that it's pompous to think you can be a real fan and never go. It's not about the money, it's about getting off your arse and watching your team. It really is that simple. When you meet real fans you will immediately notice the difference.

I've been to Old Trafford, St James' Park, White Hart Lane, and of course Roker Park, Ayresome Park, Riverside and Stadium of Light and others.
I know what it's like.
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

vinnie

Ha! Small world. I watched Posh regularly from about 91-95.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage
Using your logic - you cannot be a Rolling Stones (or any other singer/group) fan if you do not go to their concerts. Listening to their CDs or watching them on MTV is not the same!

What division are The Rolling Stones in? I've been out of the UK for a while now so maybe they're an MK Dons style new side based in Richmond?? Am I right?? What are you talking about? This is a sports thread.

I will repeat for the hard of reading. How can you claim to suppport Man Utd having never been to Old Trafford or Liverpool without ever having stepped foot in Anfield? If you think the sky sports gold package is the same thing then you need to go just to see how it isn't.

The title of this thread is MY LOCAL FOOTBALL TEAM. Caps are on in the thread title i'm not shouting.

Buddha help me.

There is no society.

Offline angsta

• Forum Sage

Ha! Small world. I watched Posh regularly from about 91-95.

Same as, do you know someone called Justin Bentley? Long shot...

There is no society.