Korat-Farang.com

"Why is America the greatest country in the world?"

Guest · 11 · 500

Buadhai

never mind
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:21:43 PM by Buadhai »

Toddy

How is a country's "greatness" measured? Subjective at best, I would have thought.

America remains a superpower in terms of economic clout and military capabilities.

World influence? Yep. Great? Who's to say?

Buadhai

never mind
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:21:03 PM by Buadhai »

Toddy

I'm sorry, are there rules? Is broadening the conversation out of bounds?  ;D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Actually, this thread is about a new TV show called The Newsroom

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs</a>

Well, from the clip, it seems like a 'set up' or a fictional TV set rather than reality, but if it's true, I'm glad someone had the balls to dismiss or challenge the 'pat my back' premise.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:10:07 AM by Alfie »
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The show is quite good. I have only watched the first episode so far. It's typical Aaron Sorkin in a "West Wing" sort of way.

That initial monologue really set the tone for the series. I look forward to watching more of it.

The Official Web Site for the HBO Series The Newsroom

Oh, it is a fictional series. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:12:50 AM by Alfie »

Buadhai

never mind
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PM by Buadhai »

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
The Newsroom - The Latest on HBO from Aaron Sorkin

Let's see. HBO, Aaron Sorkin....

You were expecting reality TV?

Here's how I read it ...

The Newsroom - News?

HBO - A US TV channel.

Aaron Sorkin -  Who? Never heard of the guy.

Nothing in the OP suggested to me it was fiction. :o Sorry!  :'(

The Newsroom - The Latest on HBO from Aaron Sorkin

Jeff Daniels' opening monologue when asked, "Why is America the greatest country in the world?"

...there’s absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world. We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, Number 4 in labor force and Number 4 in exports, we lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending where spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.

Now none of this is the fault of a 20 year old college student, but you none the less are without a doubt a member of the worst period generation period ever period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what the f*ck you’re talking about. Yosemite?

It sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chests. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men, we aspired to intelligence, we didn’t belittle it, it didn’t make us feel inferior.

We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and we didn’t scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed, by great men, men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore. Enough?”
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:21:30 AM by Alfie »