Korat-Farang.com

Olympic notes

Newshound · 33 · 1959

Online Teessider

• No metropolis without Ironopolis
No, we're definitely 3rd as not enough events left for Russia!
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.
Blaine Pascal

white fang

Is the bike race finished????
And are them gamey things finished 2 ???

Jut asking as the FOOTBALL starts soon  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Team GB finish third in Olympic medal table with 65 medals; 29 gold, 17 silver and 19 bronze, Britain's biggest medal haul ever. It surpassed their total of 47 at the 2008 Beijing Games and the target of at least 48 set by UK Sport.

The good news is that funding for Britain's Olympic sports has now been extended to Rio 2016. Let's see if we can keep the momentum going for another four years.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:09:05 PM by Alfie »
'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!'

Online Eagle 3

• Golfers in Korat
    • My House
USA number 1!  Well done!!!  ;D
I am sofa king we todd did.

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Olympic firsts at London 2012.

The 2012 Olympic games were the first in which all countries had female as well as male athletes. There were two female athletes representing Saudi Arabia - 17-year-old Sarah Attah and 16-year-old Wodjan Shaherkani.

AJ

dutchy124

In reply to Toddy's question. I listened to radio 4 Today the other day and they discussed this. It seems to be related to the slave trade. Only the fittest survived the horrendous journey with sometimes in extreme cases as low as 10% survivors.

This inner strength and stamina has been passed down through the ages.

I can't remember why black people are not very good swimmers?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Thai silver medalist boxer Kaew Pongprayoon is to get promotion in the army - from sergeant to sub-lieutenant. He'll also be awarded 60,000 baht for winning his silver medal at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Online dam12641

"I can't remember why black people are not very good swimmers?"

I think it's because they tend to have denser bones. So do I actually, it means I don't really float in water and am a poor swimmer.
Though I would have thought by now at my age, the extra blubber I now carry should make me buoyant!

Toddy

In reply to Toddy's question. I listened to radio 4 Today the other day and they discussed this. It seems to be related to the slave trade. Only the fittest survived the horrendous journey with sometimes in extreme cases as low as 10% survivors.

This inner strength and stamina has been passed down through the ages.

That's interesting. Surprised that the Beeb would discuss the topic, mind you.

Offline Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
Kaew, Pimsiri and Chanatip showered with money

Kaew Pongprayoon, Pimsiri Sirikaew and Chanatip Sonkham were mobbed by adoring fans and media when they attended two awards functions at McDonald's and Siam Commercial Bank yesterday.

Silver medallists Kaew Pongprayoon and Pimsiri Sirikaew and bonze medallist Chanathip Sonkham appeared weary from a series of activities and public appearances since coming home. They had to placate a number of interviewers and go through the motions of photo opportunities with fans at the Infinity Hall, fifth floor, Siam Paragon for the McDonald's event.

The diminutive Kaew, who on Wednesday decided to hang up his gloves, and weightlifter Pimsiri were presented Bt500,000 apiece, while the Southernborn Chanathip was given Bt300,000. Apart from the bonus, the three and 34 other athletes, who took part in the London Games, received Bt10,000 voucher from McDonald’s and free Major Cineplex tickets.

Also present yesterday were nonmedallists taekwondo fighter PenEk Karaket, a popular athlete among female fans, and badminton players Maneepong Jongjit, Bodin Issara and Boonsak Ponsana.

Chanathip, whose is likely to get around Bt20 million as incentive, said she would fly back home to Phatthalung for the first time since the Olympics on August 21. She would be paraded around Hat Yai City on an open car before proceeding to her home town.

Later, the Olympians went to the SCB headquarters in Ratchayothin to receive cash incentives. Kaew and Pimsiri were awarded Bt500,000 each and bronze medallist Chanatip Bt300,000. The three heroes have been covered by accident insurance worth Bt5 million.

The bank also gave away a onebaht gold necklace and accident insurance worth Bt500,000 for each of the non medallists.

Meanwhile, Advanced Info Service (AIS), a mobile phone operator, on Wednesday presented Kaew and Pimsiri Bt1 million each and Chanatip Bt500,000.

AIS had initially planned to hand over Bt1 million to a gold medallist and Bt500,000 and Bt300,000 to silver and bronze medallists. However, the company decided to increase the amount of money to the three heroes, who put up a gutsy display at the Olympics and captured the hearts of Thai public.

Full article here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Kaew-Pimsiri-and-Chanatip-showered-with-money-30188499.html

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Imagine if all that money was pumped into developing sport and improving elite athletes in Thailand - before the Olympics. Thailand might have picked up a few more medals.

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
it doesn't really pay to be in the sports arena in Thailand excepting for football

Muay Thai pays better than boxing lol

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I thought this was funny.