Korat-Farang.com

Best Android apps

Alfie · 17 · 748

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
What are the best Android apps? Got any recommendations? Post them here and why you think they're good and how much they cost.

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
cost ? lol

being a cheap stake I don't want to pay for any applications unless I am desperate to use them (read as I need them badly for my computing)

for a start I use a few applications to transfer files between my notebook and my Android devices;

not in order of preferences ;

1. Samsung Kies Air

2. Wifi File Transfer

3. MyPhoneExplorer

4. AirDroid

why four ? becos haven't found one to be the best

Note that Honeycomb does not allow user to save files directly to external SDcard and hence have to use the stock My files as a file explorer; in addition I use the following as file explorers;

1. ES File Explorer

2. File Expert

For images I use QuickPic which is far more faster than the stock Gallery

as for sync, will make another post when I scan what applications I am using;
use SanDisk Memory Zone to keep track of your sync applications

hth

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
It doesn't work like that Alfie. Everybody's different.
For instance I can't stand playing games so I wouldn't like any game apps, but I have an avid interest in premier league football so I have a premier league app that alerts me every time a goal is scored on a football day.
Also I have an app that allows me to see the arrivals and departure boards in the airport.
You just have to scroll through the app market and see what takes your fancy.
HL  ;D

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
I use Thai Airport to keep track of arrivals and departures at the various airports in Thailand

as for games I have the whole series of Angry Birds including the new addition, Amazing Alex

I also have Andoku 2 Free to keep my cells from turning grey

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
It doesn't work like that Alfie. Everybody's different.
For instance I can't stand playing games so I wouldn't like any game apps, but I have an avid interest in premier league football so I have a premier league app that alerts me every time a goal is scored on a football day.
Also I have an app that allows me to see the arrivals and departure boards in the airport.
You just have to scroll through the app market and see what takes your fancy.
HL  ;D

Yes, it's a personal choice, HL. Perhaps another avid premier league football fan would like to know the name of the app you use (if they don't have it already).  :)

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage
But that's my point Alfie, there isn't just one app, there are many. You just put premier league as a search and you get a multi choice and it's then a matter of personal preference, if you see what I mean. Try it out , suck it and see etc.
Yes maybe that subject hasnt occurred to someone and therefore this may be useful, but as for a specific app then search and make your choice. Anyway just my thoughts.
However having said all that mate I can see how this thread could be useful, so good on ya.
HL  ;D

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
for instant messages I use the following;

1. LINE (recently featured in BP)

2. Whatsapp

3. Chaton (Samsung's application)

4. Skype

uninstalled a number of ones like Tango, Viper, etc since the connection is not that good (even when connected to WiFi)

For sending SMS via the notebook, there are a few that I tried and finally settled on MightyText

I recently discovered one that can read barcodes on the various discount cards, BarClone but you would need Barcode scanner as well; I tried using the barcode on my Android device to buy a packet of cigarettes but FamilyMart's scanner does not read the code (could be becos of the phone's screen); have not tried Tesco, Big C, Central's, etc and intend to see whether the cashiers at the various outlets can read the barcode on the phone

edit
forgot to mention that if you are using AIS, there is a special version of LINE that includes a set of stickers

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
for watching local TV, there are applications from both DTAC and AIS though Channel 7 is not included; however there is an application from Ch7, BBTV CH7

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
Use Pulse to keep track of current news, you can also add your own

I am using it to monitor this forum

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
There seems to be a lot of crappy apps about!!

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
It is a jungle out there and hence reading previews would be a first step before installation and using it

To each his own

YMMV

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
As you say, YMMV, so a couple of reviews probably won't help me. I've found it's just as good to download them, try them, then delete them if they're crap. I've deleted about 8 apps already.

I'm not really into games, but I'm enjoying Angry Birds, and especially the Christmas one. My daughter loves it, too.

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
Bottom line - install what you need

Another application is acalender - better than the stock that comes with the device

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
this is the first application where I am willing to fork out 0.99 for my phone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50b3VjaHR5cGUuc3dpZnRrZXkiXQ..

though it costs more for my tablet

definitely worth the price considering the time saved when typing

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I downloaded this free keyboard for our JPad 002 tab. The original keyboard provided was awful. The AI Type keyboard is much better, nearer to the Samsung Galaxy tab keyboard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aitype.android