Korat-Farang.com

High-speed train plan

Newshound · 111 · 4690

Offline Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
The government is planning to open bidding for the first phase of the high-speed train project with a total investment of Bt400 billion to make Thailand a hub for Asean connectivity.

Under the plan, four routes will be opened for international bidding early next year. China, Japan, South Korea and France have expressed interest in bidding for the routes.

The first-phase high-speed train routes will cover 250 kilometres of track over four routes -Bangkok-Pitsanulok, Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima, Bangkok-Pattaya and Bangkok-Hua Hin.

"Construction work on those four routes would start at the same time to ensure their completion as planned in 2018," said Pansak, noting that in the same year, Dawei Port will also be completed. This will encourage Thailand to be the logistics hub of the Asean region with all basic infrastructure such as inland transportation, rail and deep seaport on the East and West.

He added that the government also plans to continue the second-phase construction - to be completed by 2022. It includes the Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nongkhai, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Hat Yai routes. The construction of the high-speed train will be on the side of the existing railway routes.

More here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Bidding-for-high-speed-train-planned-30188510.html

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
Will the train project take off? lol

The govt has no money

The first phase is just Bkk to Pakchong

(Source: someone at the transport ministry )

Offline nookiebear

• Suppliers
  • Forum Sage
It will never happen...............Remember all the talk of a high speed train BKK-Pattaya in the early 80's!!
Check out my website @ www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net

Online Pompui

Maybe....just maybe, one day. how long did it take them to build swampy.
Live like you are dying

lopezsteve

"Mr Chadchat said the estimated cost of the high-speed railway had soared from 300 million baht per kilometre to 516 million baht per kilometre because the initial estimate was based on railway tracks on the ground."

"Mr Chadchat said the revised sum included underground and elevated tracks. He stressed the government must invest in initial high-speed railways to lower their costs."

Planning????????

white fang

I can see the cost being cheaper than Crossrail, but looking at the H&S of the local railway, could turnout to be another death railway.

As for cost Networkrail work on £120K a length (22ft) for a new rail to be placed, HS road crossings run out at about £1mil cctv/AHB, Only got to look at the way the locals treat the cossings in town, to start to worry. In the UK its all auto, train hits a track circuit the crossing starts 27sec later the train is at the crossing doing 100MPH.

It takes an Intercity train 1.5 miles to stop when doing 100MPH to come to a stop. The cost works out at £12 per second that the driver applies the brake

The railway is the only company that has to fence its self in in the UK.

Is Thailand ready for HS trains? I think not  ;D

Look at USA rail 55MPH max and if the train is late who cares? most use subway or road to commute to work.

Unless High Speed is 50kph? and that is 34MPH?

The way I see it being built IF it every is, would be a new track to run alongside the old and 99% of the work do at night.

Offline happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Forum Sage

I can see the cost being cheaper than Crossrail, but looking at the H&S of the local railway, could turnout to be another death railway.

As for cost Networkrail work on £120K a length (22ft) for a new rail to be placed, HS road crossings run out at about £1mil cctv/AHB, Only got to look at the way the locals treat the cossings in town, to start to worry. In the UK its all auto, train hits a track circuit the crossing starts 27sec later the train is at the crossing doing 100MPH.

It takes an Intercity train 1.5 miles to stop when doing 100MPH to come to a stop. The cost works out at £12 per second that the driver applies the brake

The railway is the only company that has to fence its self in in the UK.

Is Thailand ready for HS trains? I think not  ;D

Look at USA rail 55MPH max and if the train is late who cares? most use subway or road to commute to work.

Unless High Speed is 50kph? and that is 34MPH?

The way I see it being built IF it every is, would be a new track to run alongside the old and 99% of the work do at night.

I can assure you it is on the way. I take my dogs walking each day just off the Khon Kaen road past Joho and the road has been cleared beside the current line for as far as the eye can see, and I mean miles, and this is north of Korat so it is going to go as far as Khon Kaen.
Unless they drop the idea of course but then we can use it as a nice straight road for 4wd ' ing to KK....lol
HL  ;D

Online KiwiCanadian

HL,

I see the clearing in Nong Sung also, but is this due to double tracking all the existing lines?

It would be better to also go to Standard gauge 4'-81/2" instead of the 1 meter gauge, get rid of all the old rolling stock and go with new.

I could not see the high speed on 1 meter gauge it would have to be on standard gauge any way. The sky train and MRT are on standard gauge.

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

Buadhai

Although I love the idea of high speed rail, I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for Thailand at the moment.

On the other hand, dual standard-gauge carriageways nationwide makes a lot of sense. Get cargo off the roads and on to the rails. Cheaper and faster. Lowering logistics costs would improve the economy in many ways; especially if they link up with other nations in the region.

As for passengers; new rolling stock on the new rails would make train travel more comfortable and economical. (Kind of the way it was in Thailand in the 70s and 80s.)

Online KiwiCanadian

I took this at Nong Sung this morning.
Does not look like the railways want to keep traffic flowing while they upgrade to double track ???

Not a good way to run a business I would think, now all the freight will go by trucks, just what you need at Songkran eh?

they will have to work hard to get the freight back on the lines unless the Gov legislates some changes to make the freight companies use the railways!!!

KC

[attachment deleted by admin]

taffy_lee

The traders in that famous market where they have to quickly pack-up before the train passes through had better get on steroids!

white fang

So why are they upgradeing the track now? why not wait till all the tenders are in and then build new?

because TIT (This Is Thailand)

Can see the cost at say 3bn and the full cost 2bn :(

Tea money for the boss :)

Online KiwiCanadian

WF

I guess there are 2 topics in this thread, the original and the double tracking, (may be Admin can separate these).

HL & I have noticed the earth moving/works leading out of Korat and up to and through Nong Sung. This is a commitment by the government to double track all of the existing lines in Thailand, Should have been done 40 years ago.

The high speed according to the latest info at this time will terminate in Korat and not go any further. so it would apear that the railways are starting double tracking from Korat to the north east.

It does seem a very uneconomical way to run a business, stop all services while I fix it for a year? may be they want the railways to fail???

KC

Online KiwiCanadian

Buadhai,

from what I recall there was no mention of a change in gauge, better if they did though.

Offline sulasno

• Forum Wizard
the Chinese will get the contract to build the hi speed railways lol

they snubbed the Ox-ford trained PM when he visited China to ask for a loan to finance the project

Buadhai

KC - Have you actually seen any dual carriageway rails being installed?

I've read nothing about this project actually being started. Is it possible that they are just doing some sort of maintenance on that section of track?

They could be diverting rail traffic through the line that goes through Chatturat while they're working on that section at Nong Sung.

----

I noticed that Queensland has dual gauge rails going from the New South Whales border to at least Brisbane. I wonder if Thailand could manage such a thing. It seems to crazy to install all new dual carriageway without upgrading to standard gauge.

Online KiwiCanadian

Buadhai this is from the Bangkok post.

"State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has approved the urgent implementation of projects to develop a double-track railway on five routes totalling 767km after two years of delay.

Transport deputy permanent secretary Soithip Trisuddhi, chairman of the SRT's board of directors, said  urgent project approval will allow the state-enterprise to build the tracks in parallel with the environmental impact assessment (EIA) report being reviewed.

This way the SRT can call for construction bids on routes as they are approved by the EIA without waiting for the completion of the study on all routes first.

The five routes are: 132km Mab Kabao-Chira Road Station; 165km Nakhon Pathom - Nong Pla Duk - Hua Hin; 118km Lop Buri - Pak Nampho; 185km Nakhon Ratchasima - Khon Kaen; and 167km Prachuap Khiri Khan - Chumphon.

The SRT will review all legal aspects before submitting the decision to the Transport Ministry and later to the cabinet for approval.

She said if the cabinet approves, the SRT will work on the projects' details and the EIA, but she could not be specific about a timeframe for the calling of construction tenders for the work.

The budget for the project will come from the government's two-trillion-baht loan programme, shifting it from an earlier allocated budget of 176 billion baht for infrastructure development formerly approved by cabinet for the SRT."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/342428/board-approves-double-track-rail

KC

MrChokChai

i was at the korat train station with the kids looking at the old train out front. as a train was coming we went inside to watch it pass. while in there i was looking over the shoulders of around 10 guys with detailed plans for the new train station and line. i asked the head guy if he was sorting out the line for the new bullet train. he lol and said you are well informed friend. we all shared a smile. did not want to press him but seemed serious business!

mcc