Korat-Farang.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In memory of Steen, The Odd Viking. You will be sadly missed. Our sincere condolences to Steen's family and friends. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: High-speed train plan  (Read 4032 times)

white fang

Re: High-speed train plan
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

Buadhai

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »

I'm glad to see that dual gauge track is part of the plan:

The transport minister also gave the first clear indication of the government’s infrastructure spending priorities, saying the government’s focus over the first year or two would be on highway construction and road upgrades, then extension of Bangkok’s mass-transit system and sweeping plans to double-track the existing provincial rail network and build new dual-gauge rail lines.

Financial Times Article

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:51 PM »

Dual Gauge Rail, thats the first i see of this.
I wonder if this means the 1 meter and Standard gauge?
That would be the way to go enabling double stacking of containers on the railroad, greater load capacity for not much more in width. But it does increase the radius of the track curves through mountains etc.

At least someone has some imagination. all kind of possibilities going dual gauge.

KC
I used to have a handle on life........but it broke

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »

Also looking at the BIG Picture in Korat, Will this Happen???

I had a brain fart the other night while watching tv.

What if all the transportation to and from Korat was located in a central area, or a couple of areas??
One for passenger transportation. one for freight.

Have the High speed passenger station, snail rail passenger station, bus terminal and Korat transit system all meet in one central hub (er may be not quite so central, land issue) this could be near Ban Ko just south of Jho Ho. This way all the services could compliment each other and if scheduled services where coordinated one would have a good passenger terminal. Yes some people will always complain that its too far etc.

As for freight, the double track / dual gauge will definitely increase the tonnage that the lines can carry eventually phase out the 1 meter gauge. The Gov needs the balls to legislate all long distance and some shorter distance freight go by rail (get those old under powered trucks off the road). Have freight terminals set up with truck access, use more containers, reduce overloading of trucks, etc.

Am I dreaming in technicolor here, would this happen in Thailand? each division going its own selfish way?

KC

Buadhai

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »

I'm afraid Thailand is not able to coordinate things like that very well.

Look at Mor Chit. There are two MRT stations, a SkyTrain station, a railway station and the huge bus station all within a short distance of each other. Unfortunately, none of them are really within easy walking distance, especially if you have luggage. They could have co-located the stations for all these different modes of transport, but it's been just another lost opportunity. A loss for the passengers, that is. A cash cow for the taxis and motorcycle drivers.

Consider the MRT/BTS interchange stations (Asok is one, Silom is another). Neither is really convenient and both involve rather long walks. Not bad if you want some exercise, but not so great if you're in a hurry.

An even more glaring example is the Airport Link. Convenient to nowhere.

Alfie

• Forum Lover
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »

The Transport Ministry has said it plans to relocate the Morchit bus terminal, possibly to near Future Park, Rangsit.
Whether it actually does it is another thing.

The ministry's initial study recommends using a 100-rai plot of land near Future Park Rangsit shopping complex as the new bus terminal.

The terminal must be located near an electric train route so commuters can easily connect to inner-city public transport, Deputy Transport Minister Prasert Chanruangthong said.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/344536/ministry-plans-to-relocate-mor-chit
Nil carborundum illegentium est

angsta

• Solid Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »

Look at Mor Chit. There are two MRT stations, a SkyTrain station, a railway station and the huge bus station all within a short distance of each other. Unfortunately, none of them are really within easy walking distance, especially if you have luggage. They could have co-located the stations for all these different modes of transport, but it's been just another lost opportunity.

It what other country in the world could somebody cock this up to such an extent. Great example.
Never argue with an idiot, first they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

"Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’"

There is no society.

Alfie

• Forum Lover
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »

Angsta, have you ever tried walking with luggage from Victoria train station to Victoria coach station in London? It can be done but it's not exactly convenient or easy.

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »

Alfie there is no argument about that fact but I imagine most people arriving at Victoria Station would be staying in London and would therefore get off the main line train and go down the escalator to the underground or walk out of the door to the main bus terminal stop where they can catch a bus to many places in London , or of course a taxi. All the mainline stations in London have both underground and buses connecting directly, but I don't think coaches can be considered a popular mode of travel in Britain anymore so that's probably why they didn't include them when planning the stations, unlike Thailand where the bus stations are the priority.
HL  ;D

Alfie

• Forum Lover
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »

HL, I was thinking the other way around. Arriving by plane at Heathrow, getting the tube into the city then going up the stairs at Victoria and walking to the bus station in order to leave London by bus (which is considerably cheaper than getting a train). I've done that exact journey. It ain't fun!

happylarry

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »

I'm sure it's not Alfie but all I am saying is there won't be that many people wanting to do that journey so they wouldn't need to consider those people when planning. Besides I have found that the trains Can be cheaper if you book well in advance, Just 10 pounds from Victoria to Worthing instead of about 45 pounds.
HL  ;D

white fang

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 01:18:29 AM »

I would think if they wanted the job done right, then they have to got to the western world. BUT they will not and after the Thais have had their tea money out of the pot the system would be shit.

Buadhai

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 07:54:37 AM »

Perhaps interesting to compare LA (where I grew up) and Bangkok. Back in the 50s, both cities had good, light rail trolly systems which they both abandoned in favor of buses and automobiles.

More recently, both cities have started building light rail systems, dedicated busways, etc.

IMHO Bangkok has done a horrible job of integrating these systems with each other and with existing transport.

LA, perhaps surprisingly, has a done much better job. So easy for me to hop on an Amtrak train where my Dad lives (California central coast), ride to Union Station in downtown LA and then catch an airport FlyAway bus that will drop me right in front of the international terminal. Union Station also has decent connections with city buses, the light rail system and MetroLink, the suburban commuter rail system.

KiwiCanadian

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »

Well so much for Double tracking from Korat to Nongsung after about 2 months they are just starting to get the new concrete sleepers down, Rail has been laid in Korat but has not reached nongsung yet. Only single line. Some one speak with fork tongue!

I Think this is how they do it in Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKcTbYDP7w

Sorry don't know how to embed this youtube stuff yet.

With this machine they could have done all of Thailand in the time it has taken them to do what they have done so far from Korat to Nongsung.

I was driving the back roads of Nongsung a week ago with Mrs KC, down a little soi and around the corner comes a highway bus!! WTF? Mrs KC said no train, have to get people to home some how.

How screwed up is this thinking, pulling what would be an essential service out for at least 3 or 4 months??? I just cant understand this. I think some one does not want rail to monopolize transportation.

KC

caller

• Solid Member
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »

Angsta, have you ever tried walking with luggage from Victoria train station to Victoria coach station in London? It can be done but it's not exactly convenient or easy.

Just seen this. The rail station appeared before the bus station in what was an already heavily built up part of London. The link between the two in a different age, well, until the 80's at least, was porters! I'm sure if rail and road travel would have developed at the same time, the two would have been integrated - think T5 Heathrow, with a tube, road and air link.

On a related subject, can someone explain to me why the price of land is rising near to where the proposed new high speed railway is meant to be? Talking west of Korat here, not far from the football stadium.

Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »

Plan for fast rail links to China

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's military government approved a massive budget to upgrade the country's railways including high-speed rail that would eventually link with China as part of an eight-year plan to improve infrastructure, officials said Wednesday.

The junta approved 741.46 billion baht ($23.3 billion) to build two high-speed train routes that will connect Thailand's industrialized eastern seaboard with its northern and the northeastern borders, Transport Ministry permanent secretary Soithip Traisuth said.

Similar plans initiated last year by Thailand's elected government, which was ousted in a May 22 military coup, were scrapped by the Constitutional Court in March. It said the administration's bill to borrow 2 trillion baht ($63 billion) to fund transport and water infrastructure was unconstitutional.

The junta's high-speed trains will travel at 160 kilometers (99 miles) per hour, slower than proposed by the ousted government, and will eventually "provide links to the north to China and Laos and down to Malaysia and Singapore," said Soithip, who is also the acting transport minister.

China has deepened economic ties with many Southeast Asia countries despite tensions over Beijing's claims to most of the South China Sea. Rail links that extend deep into the region would boost trade and other commerce with China, the world's No. 2 economy.

The construction of the two routes, from Nong Khai in the northeast and Chiang Khong in the north, will start in 2015 and should be completed by 2021.

The officials didn't explain why the junta shelved the former's government plan for a high-speed rail line that would connect Bangkok with Chiang Mai, a stronghold of ousted prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The junta has been considering total spending of 3 trillion baht ($94 billion) on transport and other infrastructure.

Under the junta's plans, Thailand will also expand dual-track railways. The spending also includes the development of inter-city trains, public transportation to ease congestion in Bangkok and its greater metropolitan area, expansion of nationwide highways to support border trade and upgrades of the capacity of ports and airports.

http://news.yahoo.com/thai-junta-sets-plan-fast-rail-links-china-102120517.html

Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »

Nation on track for faster rail

Wider track gauge will boost Asian trade

The Transport Ministry will switch the country’s rail transport to wider tracks of 1.435 metres after finishing construction of the recently approved six dual-track routes which will be its last project using one-metre wide tracks.

Currently all of Thailand’s trains run on one-metre wide rails and the six dual-track projects were needed to increase the speed with which goods and people are transported long these key routes in the immediate future. But in the long run the new 1.435-metre wide tracks will become the standard for the country’s future rail network, allowing it to connect with rail tracks from neighbouring countries, permanent secretary for transport Soithip Traisuth said.

The one-metre gauge dual tracks on six routes will total 887km. These routes include the 185km section from Jira junction in Nakhon Ratchasima to Khon Kaen, 167km from Prachuap Khiri Khan to Chumphon, and 165km from Nakhon Pathom to Prachuap Khiri Khan’s Hua Hin district. Their construction is scheduled for 2015 to 2018.

Another three routes, which are scheduled to be built between 2016 and 2020, are the 132km section from Map Kabao in Saraburi to Nakhon Ratchasima, 148km from Lop Buri to Pak Nampho in Nakhon Sawan, and 90km from Prachuap Khiri Khan to Hua Hin.

Read more at the Bangkok Post here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/423332/nation-on-track-for-faster-rail

Newshound

• Korat-Farang.com
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »

The cabinet has given a green light to the 1.435-metre standard gauge for rail tracks on three routes: Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai, and Bangkok-Rayong. The new tracks will permit trains to travel at a top speed of 160 km/h.

Bangkok Post
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/438864/transport-plan-gets-cabinet-nod

dereklev

• KFers in Korat
  • Solid Member
  • My pride and joy boy
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »

Not sure I'd be willing to travel at 160 kph on Thai railways given their track record!!
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson

Anton

• KFers in Korat
  • Forumphile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »

The cabinet has given a green light to the 1.435-metre standard gauge for rail tracks on three routes: Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Ratchasima-Nong Khai, and Bangkok-Rayong.

Glad to see Nakhon Ratchasima/Nong Khai taking priority over Chiang Mai in this project.
Village idiots unwelcome here
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6