Korat-Farang.com

Should Farang Get a Thai Passport?

Guest · 7 · 313

Toddy

You know if you take the Thai missus to live in UK that after about 3 years or something she can apply for a UK passport (if you are legally married - not just village ceremony married). Should the same apply for Farang living with the missus in LOS. Would that be a good thing, do you think?

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
Would you want a Thai passport, Toddy? It will never happen! And I'm not sure if it would be a good thing for me. I think it would make life a bit easier in some respects (visas for example) but in other ways I think it could complicate matters and could make life more difficult for some foreigners. I'll have to think about expanding on that.   
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Toddy

I wouldn't mind having a Thai passport (but I would not give up my British passport).

You are right - it will never happen. I was amazed that Farang can get a Thai passport at all - I know it is something of a tortuous process - but I was still surprised. Thai being somewhat nationalistic - good luck to them in a way.

Can you just "buy" one??

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
I don't think you can 'buy' one but if you go through the lengthy process (a decade?), meet all the criteria AND get lucky in the draw, it will cost you plenty enough.  ;)

Toddy

I don't think you can 'buy' one but if you go through the lengthy process (a decade?), meet all the criteria AND get lucky in the draw, it will cost you plenty enough.  ;)

What about that Thai Elite card, Alfie - do you know what that entitles you to? I know it is not a passport, but is it any good. I am not thinking of spending Baht 1,500,000 on one, by the way!!

Offline Alfie

• Forum Guru
That card has been discontinued, I believe.

Toddy

That card has been discontinued, I believe.

Shows how on the ball I am!!

But surely this is the point here - political risks. You pay over your dosh and then the next minute the rug is pulled from under your feet.